DOS printing on a network printer

Hello all,

I have a small Win98 peer to peer TCP/IP network. One of my DOS
programs on one system on the network prints PCL to a laser printer
connected to LPT1.

I now have a new network printer, HP1320n, that plugs straight into my
network switch. The printer's IP is 192.168.1.10. This printer works
perfectly from Windows, both using the PCL driver and the PS driver.
When I open the Printer Properties/Details tab on the system that has
the DOS program, the Port is shown as (again for both the PCL and PS
drivers):

hpLaserJet1320series (HP Standard TCP/IP Port)

Now I want to redirect the lpt output from the DOS program (and only
from the DOS program) to this printer. This is what I did:

First I made the printer a shared printer and called it HP1320n.

Then I used the Net Use command:

NET USE LTP1 \\one\\hp1320n

where "one" is the name of the computer but I got the following error:

Error 2106: This operation cannot be performed to your own computer; it
can only be performed to a server.

What do I do to resolve this? Do I really need to make it a shared
printer before the Net Use command? After all the printer is already on
the network. I tried the following:

net use lpt1 "HP Standard TCP/IP Port"

and

net use lpt1 "hpLaserJet1320series (HP Standard TCP/IP Port)"

and even

net use lpt1 \\192.168.1.10

and got syntax errors each time.

I want to be able to put the Net Use command in a batch file so that I
can remove the redirect using the /delete switch after the DOS program
is closed.

All help appreciated.

- Kim
19 answers Last reply
More about printing network printer

    See:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    www.coribright.com

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > See:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

    Thanks for the link. I have yet to try out the suggestions listed but
    it says it is for Win 2K or XP. I am on Win98se. Will the info on the
    page apply to me to?

    - Kim

    Ok, now I have looked at the link and it is the same as what I have
    already done. My problem is that in Win98, the Net Use command does not
    allow me to reference a local device:

    NET USE LPT1 \\ONE\HP1320N
    I cannot issue the above command on computer ONE.

    - Kim

    On 1 Feb 2005 21:24:21 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >Then I used the Net Use command:
    >
    >NET USE LTP1 \\one\\hp1320n

    Try NET USE LPT1: \\one\hp1320n

    Hello,

    > >Then I used the Net Use command:
    > >
    > >NET USE LTP1 \\one\\hp1320n
    >
    > Try NET USE LPT1: \\one\hp1320n

    Are you referring to my typo? Or to the colon (:) after LPT1 ? I've
    tried both. I get the same error error.

    As far as I can make out, Win98 will not let me issue the above command
    from computer "one". And it is not limited to printer port redirection.
    - Kim

    Hello JC Dill,

    > I'm baffled regarding the "win98 will not let me" bit. Aren't you
    > doing this in DOS? Have you tried booting into DOS (so that Windoze
    > isn't running at all) and trying it?

    I'm doing it in a DOS box under Windows 98. I haven't tried booting
    into DOS and trying it; I will. Though I wonder whether Windows Shared
    printers will be available under "pure" DOS.

    > Second, since you are using a network: Try setting this printer as a
    > shared printer another computer (which would then be the "server" to
    > your win98 computer with the DOS program) and then accessing it using
    > NET USE LPT1: \\TWO\HP1320N

    That works perfectly! It only means that the second computer has to be
    on for me to print from the first one.

    And, yes, when I issue the

    NET USE LPT1: \\TWO\HP1320n

    from computer "TWO", I get the same problem.

    But I *can* use the following on "TWO":

    NET USE LPT1: \\ONE\HP1320n

    I am now convinced Windows 98 does not allow the net use command to
    refer to the host computer as a server. This is not so with later
    versions of Windows.

    I will use the workaround you found until I resolve this. I really
    would like to not have to switch on another computer to print. I did
    get a network printer so that we wouldn't have to be running a print
    server. :(

    If there are some other utilities available that will redirect port
    output, I wouldn't mind using them -- as long as they don't interfere
    with the data stream. Some of the "DOS Printing on Windows Printer"
    utilities I have explored all massage the data stream in some way
    (converting Epson ESC codes for example).
    Thanks anyway for finding a workaround.

    - Kim

    On 2 Feb 2005 08:40:48 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >> >Then I used the Net Use command:
    >> >
    >> >NET USE LTP1 \\one\\hp1320n
    >>
    >> Try NET USE LPT1: \\one\hp1320n
    >
    >Are you referring to my typo? Or to the colon (:) after LPT1 ? I've
    >tried both. I get the same error error.
    >
    >As far as I can make out, Win98 will not let me issue the above command
    >from computer "one". And it is not limited to printer port redirection.
    >- Kim

    I'm baffled regarding the "win98 will not let me" bit. Aren't you
    doing this in DOS? Have you tried booting into DOS (so that Windoze
    isn't running at all) and trying it?

    Second, since you are using a network: Try setting this printer as a
    shared printer another computer (which would then be the "server" to
    your win98 computer with the DOS program) and then accessing it using
    NET USE LPT1: \\TWO\HP1320N

    jc

    On 1 Feb 2005 21:24:21 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >First I made the printer a shared printer and called it HP1320n.

    Are you sharing it via windoze, or DOS? Are you using NET SHARE?

    <http://www.groovyweb.uklinux.net/index.php?page_name=net%20use%20complete%20command%20reference%20how%20to%20tutorial>

    seems to be an excellent resource on using NET USE.

    jc

    Hello Ototin,

    > The syntax of the NET USE command is
    >
    > NET USE port: \\[computer name]\[printer]
    >
    > where computer name is the name of the computer that is sharing the
    > printer. As I understand it your HP printer is connected to the
    > network with a JetDirect or something similar.

    Correct. The JetDirect is built in.

    > Also your use of ONE as
    > the computer name is the actual computer that is running the DOS
    > program. Is that correct?

    Correct. The ONE computer is running the DOS program.

    > If this is correct then the solution is to
    > assign a "computer name" to the JetDirect.

    How do I do that in Win98?
    And what would then be the syntax of the NET USE command?

    - Kim

    On 2 Feb 2005 15:57:12 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >And, yes, when I issue the
    >
    >NET USE LPT1: \\TWO\HP1320n
    >
    >from computer "TWO", I get the same problem.
    >
    >But I *can* use the following on "TWO":
    >
    >NET USE LPT1: \\ONE\HP1320n

    The syntax of the NET USE command is

    NET USE port: \\[computer name]\[printer]

    where computer name is the name of the computer that is sharing the
    printer. As I understand it your HP printer is connected to the
    network with a JetDirect or something similar. Also your use of ONE as
    the computer name is the actual computer that is running the DOS
    program. Is that correct? If this is correct then the solution is to
    assign a "computer name" to the JetDirect.

    JC,

    > Have you tried:
    >
    > NET USE LPT1: \\PrinterIP

    Yes:

    NET USE LPT1 \\192.168.1.10

    Didn't work.

    - Kim

    On 2 Feb 2005 21:22:33 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >> If this is correct then the solution is to
    >> assign a "computer name" to the JetDirect.
    >
    >How do I do that in Win98?
    >And what would then be the syntax of the NET USE command?

    Have you tried:

    NET USE LPT1: \\PrinterIP

    ?

    jc

    On 2 Feb 2005 21:22:33 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >Hello Ototin,
    >
    >> The syntax of the NET USE command is
    >>
    >> NET USE port: \\[computer name]\[printer]
    >>
    >> where computer name is the name of the computer that is sharing the
    >> printer. As I understand it your HP printer is connected to the
    >> network with a JetDirect or something similar.
    >
    >Correct. The JetDirect is built in.
    >
    >> Also your use of ONE as
    >> the computer name is the actual computer that is running the DOS
    >> program. Is that correct?
    >
    >Correct. The ONE computer is running the DOS program.
    >
    >> If this is correct then the solution is to
    >> assign a "computer name" to the JetDirect.
    >
    >How do I do that in Win98?
    >And what would then be the syntax of the NET USE command?

    You don't do it on the Win98 PC. You do it on the JetDirect. Check
    with your User Manual if the configuration is accessable via a web
    browser. From the Win98 PC's perspective the JetDirect is just another
    PC with a shared printer. So for example, given the name, HPLaser, for
    the JetDirect and a shared printer called HP1320n, the command to use
    is

    NET USE lpt1: \\HPLaser\HP1320n

    Hello Ototin,

    > You don't do it on the Win98 PC. You do it on the JetDirect. Check
    > with your User Manual if the configuration is accessable via a web
    > browser. From the Win98 PC's perspective the JetDirect is just
    another
    > PC with a shared printer. So for example, given the name, HPLaser,
    for
    > the JetDirect and a shared printer called HP1320n, the command to use
    > is
    >
    > NET USE lpt1: \\HPLaser\HP1320n

    My printer is accessible from a web browser. I just have to type in the
    IP address into the URL box.

    My printers TCP/IP configuration page displays a host name of
    NPIFAD5F3.

    When I try

    NET USE LPT1: \\NPIFAD5F3\HP1320n

    I get error message #53: The computer name specified in the network
    path cannot be located....

    So Win98 cannot find the NPIFAD5F3 "computer". Even if it could, I
    wonder how it would find the shared printer HP1320n on that "computer"
    since there is no way I can declare HP1320n as a printer on that
    "computer". (On a Win system, I just make the printer shared through
    printer properties and assign it a name, can't do that on a printer
    "computer".)

    - Kim

    In article <1107443576.338274.241940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    <kim2000@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    >Hello Ototin,
    >
    >> You don't do it on the Win98 PC. You do it on the JetDirect. Check
    >> with your User Manual if the configuration is accessable via a web
    >> browser. From the Win98 PC's perspective the JetDirect is just
    >another
    >> PC with a shared printer. So for example, given the name, HPLaser,
    >for
    >> the JetDirect and a shared printer called HP1320n, the command to use
    >> is
    >>
    >> NET USE lpt1: \\HPLaser\HP1320n
    >
    >My printer is accessible from a web browser. I just have to type in the
    >IP address into the URL box.
    >
    >My printers TCP/IP configuration page displays a host name of
    >NPIFAD5F3.
    >
    >When I try
    >
    >NET USE LPT1: \\NPIFAD5F3\HP1320n
    >
    >I get error message #53: The computer name specified in the network
    >path cannot be located....
    >
    >So Win98 cannot find the NPIFAD5F3 "computer". Even if it could, I
    >wonder how it would find the shared printer HP1320n on that "computer"
    >since there is no way I can declare HP1320n as a printer on that
    >"computer". (On a Win system, I just make the printer shared through
    >printer properties and assign it a name, can't do that on a printer
    >"computer".)
    >

    >- Kim

    It's been a long time since I screwed with DOS, and most of it was in
    a Novell LAN, having said that.....

    Doesn't the DOS client need a redirector funcion to intercept LPTx
    output and send it to a remote printer ?

    The Net Use command expects to talk to a lanmam/SMB printer queue.
    Jetdirect cards have this function, but it may not be enabled or
    configured in the printer. Learn how to make the printer generate a
    configuration report. On a classic w/98 machine if you share a local
    printer you've created a lanman share that other clients can access
    with the net use command.

    TCP printing is via the LPR/LPRd protocol, another finction that may
    not be enabled on your printer. It's my favorite way to make clients
    talk to printers and I've set it up on countless NT/w2/xp/*nix systems
    (and w98 with jetdirect software). I never tried to make a DOS
    machine talk LPR. LPR had been around as a core TCP/unix function for
    years. I have no idea what DOS TCP implements it.

    I love HP jetdirect printers, but there are a bunch of ways to
    implement printing but all the settings on both ends have to agree.
    I'd start by getting an XP or w98 system to print, to prove that the
    printer is OK, then try to make the DOS machine work.
    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    On 3 Feb 2005 07:12:56 -0800, kim2000@fastmail.fm wrote:

    >When I try
    >
    >NET USE LPT1: \\NPIFAD5F3\HP1320n
    >
    >I get error message #53: The computer name specified in the network
    >path cannot be located....

    What about

    NET USE LPT1: \\192.168.1.10\HP1320n

    ?

    jc

    Kim,

    > I am now convinced Windows 98 does not allow the net use command to
    > refer to the host computer as a server. This is not so with later
    > versions of Windows.

    Yes, I confirm this.

    > If there are some other utilities available that will redirect port
    > output, I wouldn't mind using them -- as long as they don't interfere
    > with the data stream. Some of the "DOS Printing on Windows Printer"
    > utilities I have explored all massage the data stream in some way
    > (converting Epson ESC codes for example).

    My Printfil utility do work in this way (converting ESC codes of any brand).
    If you want to test another product of mine which could solve your problem
    (without changing the data stream) please go to
    http://www.guolo.com/printchr

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Davide Guolo wrote:

    > > I am now convinced Windows 98 does not allow the net use command to
    > > refer to the host computer as a server. This is not so with later
    > > versions of Windows.
    >
    > Yes, I confirm this.

    Good to get confirmation from an expert!

    > My Printfil utility do work in this way (converting ESC codes of any
    brand).

    I tried Printfil (trial version) and it did not work because of the ESC
    code conversion.

    > If you want to test another product of mine which could solve your
    problem
    > (without changing the data stream) please go to
    > http://www.guolo.com/printchr

    I would be happy to try it out. Does it only print files or can it
    capture output to the LPT port? If it only print files, I will have to
    use a PRN2FILE type utility that captures printer output to a file.

    How much would it Printchr cost? [You can write directly to me at
    kim2000 at fastmail.fm ]

    - Kim

    Kim,

    > [You can write directly to me at kim2000 at fastmail.fm ]

    have a look at your mailbox.

    Regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Printers DOS Network Printer Peripherals