Houston we have a GPU Failure ... possibly

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been around for a year or two and have put my 2 cents into several topics, but now I must call on yalls objective opinion

First things is first, specs are in my sig.

Now to my problem. I was playing Lineage 2 (MMORPG) for a few hours today and it locked up, Np. Its a horribly programmed game and its the only game unstable on my system, which I am ok with since it only crashes once ever 4 hours of continous play. Then i boot back up and start playing some more... an hour goes by, 2... then out of the blue I start getting artifacts.

Not your everyday normal distortions ( i know those fairly well lol). I am getting some sort of partial and intermitent horizontal banding. So I ignore them, figuring its a driver malfunction and continue to play, and the banding continues for 15 min or so. By this time im becoming concerned and then all of a sudden normal artifacts flare up and the game goes haywire and locks the computer.

Most unfortunate. So i hit the ever faithful kill switch on the back of the PSU and let it sit for 2-3 min and reboot. However this time something is diffrent... I am getting the exact same artifacts in the BIOS Screen!!!!

Please Advise.

In my experiance the only time I have ever come across this was when I blew a resistor on a 9800 Pro bc i had it oc'd too far.

I have modded the 7800 GTX bios to maintain a constant 1.4v in 2D and 3D mode and set the default speed to 520Mhz. Each card is water cooled so heat is not the issue. There was a fan blowing across the voltage regulators of both cards so I dont see how that could be the problem.

I have now disconnected the copmuter from the power cord and left it sitting there as I wait for yalls insight.

On a side note: I have officially declared my PC3-720 Water cooling setup a casualty loss today. Most unfortunate. I'm looking to build a swifttech mased dual independent loop system with seperate loops for my CPU/Chipset and GPU but thats for another thread.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
ahh...a fellow texan!

Did you try taking disabling sli and testing each card for artifacts?

I managed to get SLi disabled and test the first card and it was not so hot. I have not had the time to test the second card because of the arrangement of the water cooling It will take at least 30min to carefully arrange the 2nd card to take the place of hte first and not strain the GPU hosing.

not sure that made sense.... lol.

Texans UNITE! :lol:

Ill update it later tonight once I get a chance to test it. My hypothesis is that it will prob act the same way...

its just so weird because nothing has changed in the past 4 weeks.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
if both cards are showing artifacts, then i'd be willing to say something is wrong other than the cards.

FYI, did you try simply to disable sli using the nvida control panal, then changing with vid card your monitor is using?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
if both cards are showing artifacts, then i'd be willing to say something is wrong other than the cards.

FYI, did you try simply to disable sli using the nvida control panal, then changing with vid card your monitor is using?

Ok with a little bit of inginuity i have tested both cards. The initial top card has gone to hell in a hand basket. The second card is operating perfectly fine.

Which means right now I am stuck with a random 7800GTX folded sideways blocking my window because the cooling loop is entierly integrated. LOL. I wish i could post pics, its damn funny lookin.

Hmm 1 7800GTX down.... 1 left, I dont like these odds