More about spool32 ddhelp

    From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
    "Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that manages
    the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor can
    quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard disk
    before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can return
    control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster rate
    than if the program were to process the entire print job and then send
    it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
    something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."

    From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
    "DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
    first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw capabilities,
    and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw is
    part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
    Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.

    It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until they
    are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period of
    time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the delay
    in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of Dial-up
    Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
    minutes after closing a DUN connection.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
    > "Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that manages
    > the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor can
    > quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard disk
    > before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can return
    > control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster rate
    > than if the program were to process the entire print job and then send
    > it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
    > something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."
    >
    > From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
    > "DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
    > first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw capabilities,
    > and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw is
    > part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
    > Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.
    >
    > It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until they
    > are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period of
    > time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the delay
    > in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of Dial-up
    > Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
    > minutes after closing a DUN connection.

    Thanks Gary, The ddhelp may open when I use some application windows.I
    don't play games.I opened a lot of apps and nothing happened. I'll keep
    checking.
    However spool32 I thought had something to do with printing.But I
    haven't print anything in the last couple days and I always check the
    processes running as I run SETI@home project.
    I am figuring that when I open word 97[yes an oldy but goody] that
    spool32 may open. I was right,it does. Win98 is trying to guess if I
    want to print.I am usually just writing and saving. That was easy Thanks
    again.

    Yeah, sounds like you hit on the answer for spool32. A similar process
    may be at play with ddhelp in that some program that you occasionally
    use might be preparing for dd use. I'm thinking graphics development or
    editing programs, or perhaps even Flash.

    --

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
    > > "Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that
    manages
    > > the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor
    can
    > > quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard
    disk
    > > before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can
    return
    > > control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster
    rate
    > > than if the program were to process the entire print job and then
    send
    > > it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
    > > something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."
    > >
    > > From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
    > > "DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
    > > first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw
    capabilities,
    > > and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw
    is
    > > part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
    > > Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.
    > >
    > > It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until
    they
    > > are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period
    of
    > > time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the
    delay
    > > in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of
    Dial-up
    > > Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
    > > minutes after closing a DUN connection.
    > >
    > Thanks Gary, The ddhelp may open when I use some application windows.I
    > don't play games.I opened a lot of apps and nothing happened. I'll
    keep
    > checking.
    > However spool32 I thought had something to do with printing.But I
    > haven't print anything in the last couple days and I always check the
    > processes running as I run SETI@home project.
    > I am figuring that when I open word 97[yes an oldy but goody] that
    > spool32 may open. I was right,it does. Win98 is trying to guess if I
    > want to print.I am usually just writing and saving. That was easy
    Thanks
    > again.

    Many web pages online will turn on DDHELP, I have found.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Makes sense.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Many web pages online will turn on DDHELP, I have found.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > > Yeah, sounds like you hit on the answer for spool32. A similar
    process
    > > may be at play with ddhelp in that some program that you
    occasionally
    > > use might be preparing for dd use. I'm thinking graphics development
    or
    > > editing programs, or perhaps even Flash.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Joe K" <JoeK@myhome.computer> wrote in message
    > > manages
    > > can
    > > disk
    > > return
    > > rate
    > > send

    > > capabilities,
    DirectDraw
    > > is

    > > they
    > > of
    > > delay
    > > Dial-up
    > > > >
    > > > Thanks Gary, The ddhelp may open when I use some application
    windows.I
    > > > don't play games.I opened a lot of apps and nothing happened. I'll
    > > keep
    > > > checking.
    > > > However spool32 I thought had something to do with printing.But
    > > > haven't print anything in the last couple days and I always check
    the
    > > > processes running as I run SETI@home project.
    > > > I am figuring that when I open word 97[yes an oldy but goody]
    that
    > > > spool32 may open. I was right,it does. Win98 is trying to guess if
    > > > want to print.I am usually just writing and saving. That was easy
    > > Thanks
    > > > again.

Microsoft Windows