Thanks in advance. I will search MS pages and other web sites Joe K

From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
"Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that manages
the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor can
quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard disk
before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can return
control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster rate
than if the program were to process the entire print job and then send
it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."

From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
"DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw capabilities,
and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw is
part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.

It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until they
are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period of
time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the delay
in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of Dial-up
Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
minutes after closing a DUN connection.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
> "Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that manages
> the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor can
> quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard disk
> before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can return
> control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster rate
> than if the program were to process the entire print job and then send
> it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
> something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."
>
> From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
> "DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
> first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw capabilities,
> and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw is
> part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
> Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.
>
> It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until they
> are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period of
> time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the delay
> in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of Dial-up
> Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
> minutes after closing a DUN connection.

Thanks Gary, The ddhelp may open when I use some application windows.I
don't play games.I opened a lot of apps and nothing happened. I'll keep
checking.
However spool32 I thought had something to do with printing.But I
haven't print anything in the last couple days and I always check the
processes running as I run SETI@home project.
I am figuring that when I open word 97[yes an oldy but goody] that
spool32 may open. I was right,it does. Win98 is trying to guess if I
want to print.I am usually just writing and saving. That was easy Thanks
again.

Yeah, sounds like you hit on the answer for spool32. A similar process
may be at play with ddhelp in that some program that you occasionally
use might be preparing for dd use. I'm thinking graphics development or
editing programs, or perhaps even Flash.

--

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > From: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191949
> > "Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 or Windows 98 component that
manages
> > the spooling of print jobs. With spooling, the computer's processor
can
> > quickly process a print job by temporarily storing it on the hard
disk
> > before sending it to the printer. As a result, the processor can
return
> > control to the program from which you are printing at a much faster
rate
> > than if the program were to process the entire print job and then
send
> > it directly to the printer. Spool32 error messages may occur if
> > something is preventing the print job from being spooled correctly."
> >
> > From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286006
> > "DDHelp.exe is DirectDraw's "helper" program. Its purpose is to make
> > first contact with the video driver, assess its DirectDraw
capabilities,
> > and send the driver into DirectDraw compatibility mode." DirectDraw
is
> > part of DirectX, mostly known for its part in supporting games on
> > Windows PCs, though it's also used by other multi-media apps.
> >
> > It is the frequent habit of Windows to not launch such things until
they
> > are called for, but to then not unload them, at least for a period
of
> > time, presuming that you will want to use them again and avoid the
delay
> > in re-loading them. Most famous of these is RNAAPP.DLL, part of
Dial-up
> > Networking. You'll notice that it stays resident for some fifteen
> > minutes after closing a DUN connection.
> >
> Thanks Gary, The ddhelp may open when I use some application windows.I
> don't play games.I opened a lot of apps and nothing happened. I'll
keep
> checking.
> However spool32 I thought had something to do with printing.But I
> haven't print anything in the last couple days and I always check the
> processes running as I run SETI@home project.
> I am figuring that when I open word 97[yes an oldy but goody] that
> spool32 may open. I was right,it does. Win98 is trying to guess if I
> want to print.I am usually just writing and saving. That was easy
Thanks
> again.

Many web pages online will turn on DDHELP, I have found.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Makes sense.