Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

backup strategy...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:11:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I thought I had one, ....now I'm beginning to wonder?
(I use XP Home ed. on c: ...cross posted to W98 'cause this is really a
back-up question & solution possibly of interest to more than just me?)

I have 2x80gb Maxtor 6Y080L0's on IDE0 -
drive's c: d: e: & f: on the master hd and g: h: i: j: & k: on the slave
hd.

Now, I use Norton 9.0 to ghost c: into a folder on drive i: in 700mb chunks,
and stuff a Windows back-up "system state only" in there as well, and keep
promising myself that I'll burn all chunks to cd-r just after doing it.

Then I Ghost drive's i: and j: into folders on drive f: (just dawned on me
that I'm ghosting an already ghosted drive c: back to i: ! ...will have to
sort that out).

If my drive c: went bang and had to be replaced, and I had to restore c:
from image file/s on drive i: , how's it done ?
Pitfalls anybody ?

I was guessing that after replacing the master hd, I'd install XP Home ed.
onto drive c: on the new drive, then install Norton Ghost 9.0, ...but how
would you overwrite the windows platform and the Norton Ghost program that's
being used on c: to restore the image ?
I'm getting very rusty these days !

regards, Richard

More about : backup strategy

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:11:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I suppose if "ghosting" or cloneing the drives is youre way of backing-up xp,
then you could,re format g: then go to run,type:
XCOPY C:\*.* g:\ /c/h/e/k/r g: being the partition youd clone to,then in
the
DOS window,agree to all,when its thru,its complete.Youre best bet,i would
think is to use file transfer wizard,set computer as old,transfer data to a
new
folder you created,then when thru transfer data to a cd.Then if xp
failed,youd
reinstall xp,run the wizard,then get updates...

"RJK" wrote:

> I thought I had one, ....now I'm beginning to wonder?
> (I use XP Home ed. on c: ...cross posted to W98 'cause this is really a
> back-up question & solution possibly of interest to more than just me?)
>
> I have 2x80gb Maxtor 6Y080L0's on IDE0 -
> drive's c: d: e: & f: on the master hd and g: h: i: j: & k: on the slave
> hd.
>
> Now, I use Norton 9.0 to ghost c: into a folder on drive i: in 700mb chunks,
> and stuff a Windows back-up "system state only" in there as well, and keep
> promising myself that I'll burn all chunks to cd-r just after doing it.
>
> Then I Ghost drive's i: and j: into folders on drive f: (just dawned on me
> that I'm ghosting an already ghosted drive c: back to i: ! ...will have to
> sort that out).
>
> If my drive c: went bang and had to be replaced, and I had to restore c:
> from image file/s on drive i: , how's it done ?
> Pitfalls anybody ?
>
> I was guessing that after replacing the master hd, I'd install XP Home ed.
> onto drive c: on the new drive, then install Norton Ghost 9.0, ...but how
> would you overwrite the windows platform and the Norton Ghost program that's
> being used on c: to restore the image ?
> I'm getting very rusty these days !
>
> regards, Richard
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:11:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o kxEePTGFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> I thought I had one, ....now I'm beginning to wonder?

What I do. Similar scenario, except the drives are 40 GB Maxtors.

Mount the secondary drive in a removable rack.
This minimizes the exposure of the backup drive
to the possibility of getting fried by a faulty power supply.

Use Maxtor's Maxblast software to create an identical copy
of the main drive on the backup drive, partitions and all.
Run this each day, or once a week, whatever suits you.
Remove the secondary drive from the computer
once the backup is complete.
The removable rack makes this a simple 5-second task.

If your primary drive goes south:

1 Remove the primary drive from the computer.
2 Remove the secondary drive from the removable rack.
3 Mount the secondary drive as the new primary drive.

You are back in business. All you have lost is any changes
to the system or data files made since the last backup.

ASAP

Buy a new hard drive to mount in the now-empty
removable rack, and resume the normal backup cycle.

BONUS A

Want to install something which could be dodgy?
Have reservations about installing a new critical update?
Simply run the backup procedure FIRST.
Then, if the install doesn't go well, just swap the drives.

1 Remove the primary drive from the computer.
2 Remove the secondary drive from the removable rack.
3 Mount the former secondary drive
removed from the removable rack as the new primary drive.
4 Install the former primary drive in the removable rack
and use it as the new secondary drive.
5 Run a backup.

Your system will be restored as if the problem never happened.

BONUS B

Going away for a while.
Spouse, child or roomie may use the computer while you are gone?
Want to sleep easy?

Remove the rack and lock it up. If they hose your system
while you are gone, follow the BONUS A
5-step recovery procedure.


It all sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:59:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o kxEePTGFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I thought I had one, ....now I'm beginning to wonder?
> (I use XP Home ed. on c: ...cross posted to W98 'cause this is really a
> back-up question & solution possibly of interest to more than just me?)
>
> I have 2x80gb Maxtor 6Y080L0's on IDE0 -
> drive's c: d: e: & f: on the master hd and g: h: i: j: & k: on the slave
> hd.
>
> Now, I use Norton 9.0 to ghost c: into a folder on drive i: in 700mb
> chunks, and stuff a Windows back-up "system state only" in there as well,
> and keep promising myself that I'll burn all chunks to cd-r just after
> doing it.
>
> Then I Ghost drive's i: and j: into folders on drive f: (just dawned on me
> that I'm ghosting an already ghosted drive c: back to i: ! ...will have to
> sort that out).

What's on F: besides the ghosted images of ghosted images? Why not just
exclude F: when conducting a image as a secondary image? In other words
create an image of C:, D: and E: on F.
>
> If my drive c: went bang and had to be replaced, and I had to restore c:
> from image file/s on drive i: , how's it done ?

Create a Standard or CD/DVD startup disk with Ghost Wizard which will allow
you to boot to Ghost in DOS where you can then access the images to restore.
If you're on a network then create either a Drive Mapping or 2 PtoP Ghost
boot disks with the wizard.

Another thing to try is copying Ghost.exe to I:, then you could boot with a
98 boot disk and run Ghost from DOS to access the images for restore. I have
added ghost.exe and ghreboot.exe to drives with images, then added a line in
autoexec.bat of network boot disks pointing to ghost.exe on the drive so it
boots directly to Ghost. Ghreboot is actually only needed if you run Ghost
from the Virtual Partition.

> Pitfalls anybody ?
>
> I was guessing that after replacing the master hd, I'd install XP Home ed.
> onto drive c: on the new drive, then install Norton Ghost 9.0, ...but how
> would you overwrite the windows platform and the Norton Ghost program
> that's being used on c: to restore the image ?

The image you use can only be restored/cloned to a drive of equal or
greater capacity.
Ghost.exe is a very small app and all that's needed to execute it which is
DOS based. There would be no need to reinstall XP as the ghosted image
overwrites anything on the drive restoring it to that image. FYI, anytime
you ghost an image to an drive with an OS you will get a prompt letting you
know that it is an OS drive and that continuing will overwrite anything on
the drive with the choice to continue or cancel.

On another note which the folks in XP can help out with is making sure you
have the activation files and such so possibly you won't have to go thru the
rigamaroo of reativation.


--

Brian A.

Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:12:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I fiddled with xcopy32.exe and xxcopy.exe in the past, formula for disaster
in my view !
The while idea of Norton Ghost is that it makes an exact image of the boot
drive, so that the ghosted image can be restored in one fell swoop - putting
the drive back exactly as it was without having to reinstall everything -
drivers - apps - and the hundreds of other little things that add up to a
horrendous number of hours worth of reinstallation, from scratch - not to
mention MS updates - SP2 etc.

Ages ago I used to use Powerquest's DriveCopy, or was it DriveImage but,
since succumbing and converting my drives to NTFS drives, (after keeping
them as FAT32 until I got fed up with directorry entries sprinkled
throughout every drives free space and which XP's defragger wouldn't touch.
....that was an experience in itself - having to use BootItNG to "shunt
everything up a bit" on each drive before converting - to get the best out
of something or other - cluster size I think it was........I digress ....

I shall have read my Norton Manual !

regards, Richard


"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
news:E5F4CD84-D614-4F8D-B251-D7286ACC1AFB@microsoft.com...
> I suppose if "ghosting" or cloneing the drives is youre way of backing-up
> xp,
> then you could,re format g: then go to run,type:
> XCOPY C:\*.* g:\ /c/h/e/k/r g: being the partition youd clone to,then in
> the
> DOS window,agree to all,when its thru,its complete.Youre best bet,i would
> think is to use file transfer wizard,set computer as old,transfer data to
> a
> new
> folder you created,then when thru transfer data to a cd.Then if xp
> failed,youd
> reinstall xp,run the wizard,then get updates...
>
> "RJK" wrote:
>
>> I thought I had one, ....now I'm beginning to wonder?
>> (I use XP Home ed. on c: ...cross posted to W98 'cause this is really a
>> back-up question & solution possibly of interest to more than just me?)
>>
>> I have 2x80gb Maxtor 6Y080L0's on IDE0 -
>> drive's c: d: e: & f: on the master hd and g: h: i: j: & k: on the slave
>> hd.
>>
>> Now, I use Norton 9.0 to ghost c: into a folder on drive i: in 700mb
>> chunks,
>> and stuff a Windows back-up "system state only" in there as well, and
>> keep
>> promising myself that I'll burn all chunks to cd-r just after doing it.
>>
>> Then I Ghost drive's i: and j: into folders on drive f: (just dawned on
>> me
>> that I'm ghosting an already ghosted drive c: back to i: ! ...will have
>> to
>> sort that out).
>>
>> If my drive c: went bang and had to be replaced, and I had to restore c:
>> from image file/s on drive i: , how's it done ?
>> Pitfalls anybody ?
>>
>> I was guessing that after replacing the master hd, I'd install XP Home
>> ed.
>> onto drive c: on the new drive, then install Norton Ghost 9.0, ...but how
>> would you overwrite the windows platform and the Norton Ghost program
>> that's
>> being used on c: to restore the image ?
>> I'm getting very rusty these days !
>>
>> regards, Richard
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:26:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:38:59 -0800, "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com>
wrote:

>What I do. Similar scenario, except the drives are 40 GB Maxtors.
>
>Mount the secondary drive in a removable rack.
>This minimizes the exposure of the backup drive
>to the possibility of getting fried by a faulty power supply.
>
>Use Maxtor's Maxblast software to create an identical copy
>of the main drive on the backup drive, partitions and all.
>Run this each day, or once a week, whatever suits you.
>Remove the secondary drive from the computer
>once the backup is complete.
>The removable rack makes this a simple 5-second task.

Hugh,

I also use Maxblast 3 to backup drive 1 to 2. However both are
internal drives.

Question: Do you delete the files in the partitions on drive 2
before you backup? I have been doing that although Maxblast
overwrites files of the same name. But I don't believe it deletes
any "extra" files that have now been deleted from drive 1. Or does
it? I haven't tested it yet. If not, eventually, if a restore is
needed all the previously deleted and un-installed files would be
restored to drive 1.

It would be nice to just run the backup.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
!