Cooling down an ASUS N6800...

KellTeng

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I recently bought an ASUS N6800 Geforce 6800 variant, which I am, generally, very pleased with.

Unfortunately, it's running rather hot. At idle it stays about 64 degrees Centigrade, and, no, I haven't overclocked it.

The little ah heck keeps threatening to overheat and lock-up when I'm playing stuff (such as World of Warcraft), and this is not only disheartening, but I'm worried about ruining internal pieces.

So...my question to you: Any suggestions on lowering said temperature? I'm considering replacing the fan with a large heat sink, but I figured I'd ask folks more knowledgable than I am before I do it.

Thank you.

ijsco

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
What kind of monitoring tool are you using?
My old (second) pc has an Asus V9999 GE (GF 6800 GPU) in it and used various monitoring tool with it but never seem to get a correct reading...
I've used MBM , Smartfan and even SmartDoctor from Asus but they all gave
strange readings , from minus 20 to 130 degrees celcius.
I'm not sure if this is a sensor malfunction or that the monitoring tools read the wrong sensor :?
Anywayz , I'm using Smartfan now cause it's the only one in which you can set the fanspeed down in realtime so when I'm not playing the fan runs at 30%.
On lowering temperature :
-keep your fans clean
-get an extra casefan (intake / exhaust)
-check the Bios if voltage is set correct
-install a high-end gpu fan (allthough most retail are sufficient)
-get liquid cooled (like thermaltake's "tidewater")

TRENDING THREADS