please help me

Al

my computer is such a little iggit. about an hour ago, it set itself back
like to the mode it was about 5 months ago. it does that every so often and I
don't get it. also, I have this stupid toolbar in IE. it's called AZESEARCH
and I ahve NO CLUE how it got there. there's nothing in my add/delete
programs that even hints to that toolbar so that I can delete it. also, I
guess the toolbar came with complementary favorite folders. I deleted the
folders but everytime I open IE again, they're back! help. thanks!

Check out the articles in my signature. Starting with the one on
Security.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is such a little iggit. about an hour ago, it set itself
back
> like to the mode it was about 5 months ago. it does that every so
often and I
> don't get it. also, I have this stupid toolbar in IE. it's called
AZESEARCH
> and I ahve NO CLUE how it got there. there's nothing in my add/delete
> programs that even hints to that toolbar so that I can delete it.
also, I
> guess the toolbar came with complementary favorite folders. I deleted
the
> folders but everytime I open IE again, they're back! help. thanks!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:09:03 -0800, "al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my computer is such a little iggit. about an hour ago, it set itself back
>like to the mode it was about 5 months ago. it does that every so often and I
>don't get it. also, I have this stupid toolbar in IE. it's called AZESEARCH
>and I ahve NO CLUE how it got there. there's nothing in my add/delete
>programs that even hints to that toolbar so that I can delete it. also, I
>guess the toolbar came with complementary favorite folders. I deleted the
>folders but everytime I open IE again, they're back! help. thanks!

Have you checked your comuter recently for spyware, malware, adware and viruses?

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in
the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it
finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.

If problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is such a little iggit. about an hour ago, it set itself back
> like to the mode it was about 5 months ago. it does that every so often and I
> don't get it. also, I have this stupid toolbar in IE. it's called AZESEARCH
> and I ahve NO CLUE how it got there. there's nothing in my add/delete
> programs that even hints to that toolbar so that I can delete it. also, I
> guess the toolbar came with complementary favorite folders. I deleted the
> folders but everytime I open IE again, they're back! help. thanks!

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Glen, ever since that false positive that AntiVir gave me since I had
settings to max scanning ability that may cause false positives I have been
wary of CWShredder by Intermute. Is it truly okay and can it help in any
way(s) that a paid program such as Webroot's SpySweeper that costs $20-$30
depending if you can get it on sale fails to address? If anyone else knows
the answer(s) I welcome their reply(ies) also.

:
: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
: http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
: http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
:
: In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far
to fix
: it.
:
: The folks there will tell you what to remove.
:
: See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
: http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075
:
: A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
: http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
: --
[...]

The stand-alone CWShredder module is fine, and concentrates on the CoolWebSearch
variants. I personally don't recommend the other Intermute products. Some folks
like SpySweeper, but I have not found it to do anything useful beyond what can be
done with the freeware I usually recommend in other posts, and it can be
over-aggressive for use by a novice.
--

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
> : Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> :
> :
> : "al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : news:A95A9AE6-2028-4214-A5F7-B769DC57B910@microsoft.com...
> : > my computer is such a little iggit. about an hour ago, it set itself back
> : > like to the mode it was about 5 months ago. it does that every so often
> and I
> : > don't get it. also, I have this stupid toolbar in IE. it's called
> AZESEARCH
> : > and I ahve NO CLUE how it got there. there's nothing in my add/delete
> : > programs that even hints to that toolbar so that I can delete it. also, I
> : > guess the toolbar came with complementary favorite folders. I deleted the
> : > folders but everytime I open IE again, they're back! help. thanks!

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your opinion, Glen. I like SpySweeper since it helps tie all
those products together and as a somewhat knowledgeable computer person I
like SpySweeper agressiveness but I agree it could be intimidating to a new
user of computers. :>

[...]
: >
: > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
: > news:%23m%23kczUGFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > : Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.
: > :
[...]
: > 'Enable
: > : all protection'.
: > : Update at least weekly.
[...]