win98 reinstall modem prblem

Just reinstalled win98 on an older (1999) computer, and now the
installaton wizard can't detect the modem. It keeps asking me to
identify the particular moden out of a long list of models. I know that
it is an older 56k onboard Motorola, but have no idea as to it's
model#. The modem was fine before the reinstall, and the win98 reistall
appeared to go smoothly.. I do not have the manual. What to do? tia
2 answers Last reply
More about win98 reinstall modem prblem

    <spironical@nospammail.net> wrote in message
    > Just reinstalled win98 on an older (1999) computer, and now the
    > installaton wizard can't detect the modem.

    Many modems are not plug-and-play,
    and have to be force-fed to Windows,
    which can be quite aggravating sometimes
    before suddenly up and acceptin gthe modem.

    > It keeps asking me to
    > identify the particular moden out of a long list of models. I know that
    > it is an older 56k onboard Motorola, but have no idea as to it's
    > model#. The modem was fine before the reinstall, and the win98 reistall
    > appeared to go smoothly.. I do not have the manual. What to do? tia

    What brand and model number is the computer.

    If it isn't a mainline brand such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway,
    then you probably need to take the case off and check
    for distinguishing markings on the modem chip,
    or perhaps the motherboard brand/model info
    will prove to be enough to identify the modem.

    Try these

    Identifying Your Modem Chipset
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/chipset.asp

    Modem-Help: Home Page
    http://www.modem-help.com/

    Look inside the case for any identifying names/numbers to help.
    and/or
    Download/install the free Everest Home Edition to help identify components:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    <spironical@nospammail.net> wrote in message
    > Just reinstalled win98 on an older (1999) computer, and now the
    > installaton wizard can't detect the modem. It keeps asking me to
    > identify the particular moden out of a long list of models. I know that
    > it is an older 56k onboard Motorola, but have no idea as to it's
    > model#. The modem was fine before the reinstall, and the win98 reistall
    > appeared to go smoothly.. I do not have the manual. What to do? tia

Modem Microsoft Windows