Wondering about wizard...

Thanks for yor replies. The situation occurs when I click the set up
tab within internet explorer, properties. I remembered that before I
installed windows back over itself to sort out an installation problem
that if I clicked internet explorer icon an internet wizard thingy came
up but now if I do that I get an msn thingy which gets on my nerves.
Also as the wizard should be present but isn't( my pc is not online yet
but clearly I will need the wizard to set up). I get the failed to load
internet wizard message if I click that settings tab but the msn set up
if I click internet explorer. I think I do actually have a higher
version of internet explorer than is provided with win 98se due to I
think system works or some other installation that requries you install
a higher version of internet explorer (it was on the disc). What course
of action should I take: either reinstall internet explorer from which
ever disk I got it from or extract the internet wizard if that is
possible from installation cd or cabs file on c drive.(question mark).
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't win98se store a large amount of
compressed system files in the cabs folder (question mark). With
regards to a previous query I followed instructions to extract
setupx.dll and I found it near impossible to locate on the actual disk
but windows was happy to extract it from windows\options\cabs and told
me the extraction was successful. Someone tell me if I have made
another boo boo there so I can revert my hard drive. (blush) :) Ps what
would be the name of the internet wizard file.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
1 answer Last reply

    You still have not provided the error message verbatim.

    The wizard's file name is icwconn1.exe.

    What has probably occurred is there is a file mismatch because you installed
    W98 over itself (probably a mistake--I don't recommend this as a viable
    fix). You can try replacing the files the article mentions; however, a
    better solution might be to install a new version of IExplorer if you have
    access to it.

    --

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1kwfoh@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> Knowledge Base Info:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >>
    >> "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1kjxo1@news.win98banter.com wrote in
    >> message
    >>
    >> A short while ago when I installed win98se back over itself to sort
    >> out
    >> a sound cock up, my basic internet wizard thingy has been replaced
    >> with
    >> an msm thingy. The pc I'm refering to isn't online at present but has
    >> been with it's previous owner. Now when I go to properties within
    >> internet explorer, set up, the wizard cannot be found. I don't want
    >> the
    >> stupid msn set up thing. I would like my internet wizard thingy back.

Internet Explorer Internet Windows