Defrag

Gimpy

Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Why is it risky ? I`ve been using it for well over a year without problems.
Regards
Kim
> Use at your own risk: http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Gimpy wrote:
> > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
> > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Because it is against the licensing agreement for that web site to be
distributing MS files. You are using a pirated file in other words.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"kimbo_" <kimbo_xfakedx@xxxxxxxx.com> wrote in message
> Why is it risky ? I`ve been using it for well over a year without
> problems.
> Regards
> Kim
>> Use at your own risk:
>> http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>>
>> Gimpy wrote:
>> > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
>> > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Hi pa,,,,
why are you posting something that you advisie to "use at own
risk"?
doesnt that go against the grain of 'helping'?
"i agree".

regards Jane
> Use at your own risk: http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Gimpy wrote:
> > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
> > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

PA is readying a hibernation, & WON'T be around to help Gimpy with the
unforeseen. That's what he means! Also, it wasn't written for Win98SE,
after all. Can it be it is quicker because it doesn't do as much?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

| Hi pa,,,,
| why are you posting something that you advisie to "use at own
| risk"?
| doesnt that go against the grain of 'helping'?
| "i agree".
|
| regards Jane
| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > Use at your own risk:
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
| > --
| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
| >
| > Gimpy wrote:
| > > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on
windows
| > > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Gimpy asked, I responded with information that I found freely available on
the internet. MS MVP's do not represent Microsoft nor are we shills for
Microsoft. (Well, most of us aren't. <w>)

I do not know if the file being offered at that URL is safe.

I do not know if the file being offered at that URL is WinME's defrag.exe.

I do know that if it /is/ a legit copy of WinME's defrag.exe, it's certainly
not legal.

I do know that running WinME's defrag.exe on my Win98SE machine was much
more efficient than Win98SE's version.

Use at your own risk.
--

jane wrote:
> Hi pa,,,,
> why are you posting something that you advisie to "use at own
> risk"?
> doesnt that go against the grain of 'helping'?
> "i agree".
>
> regards Jane
> > Use at your own risk:
> > http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Gimpy wrote:
> > > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
> > > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Jane,

If I give you directions to a location, but WARN you the roads are icy and
you crash, is it my fault? It's time people start accepting responsibility
for their own actions.

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG
Google is your friend www.google.com
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

> Hi pa,,,,
> why are you posting something that you advisie to "use at own
> risk"?
> doesnt that go against the grain of 'helping'?
> "i agree".
>
> regards Jane
> > Use at your own risk:
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Gimpy wrote:
> > > Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
> > > 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:28:07 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>PA is readying a hibernation, & WON'T be around to help Gimpy with the
>unforeseen. That's what he means! Also, it wasn't written for Win98SE,
>after all. Can it be it is quicker because it doesn't do as much?

Here's some discussion:
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/defrag.htm

Note that GEODisk installs WinME Defrag and Scandisk, backing up the
Win98 versions.

--
Luke

I miss Dundat. :)`+<}

PCR wrote:
> PA is readying a hibernation, & WON'T be around to help Gimpy with the
> unforeseen. That's what he means! Also, it wasn't written for Win98SE,
> after all. Can it be it is quicker because it doesn't do as much?

So do I. The man has disappeared from the face of the earth!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I miss Dundat. :)`+<}
>
> PCR wrote:
> > PA is readying a hibernation, & WON'T be around to help Gimpy with
the
> > unforeseen. That's what he means! Also, it wasn't written for
Win98SE,
> > after all. Can it be it is quicker because it doesn't do as much?

I offered it to you gimp,
but your address wasnt valid.
you will have to search yourself

regards Jane
"Gimpy" <gimpy10@yahoo6.org> wrote in message
> Guess the windows me defrag is a faster product then whats on windows
> 98se ? If so, where can i get it ? TIA Gimpy

Well, from solid earth, at least.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> So do I. The man has disappeared from the face of the earth!

> > I miss Dundat. :)`+<}
> >
> > PCR wrote:
> > > PA is readying a hibernation, & WON'T be around to help Gimpy with the
> > > unforeseen. That's what he means! Also, it wasn't written for Win98SE,
> > > after all. Can it be it is quicker because it doesn't do as much?

Uhuh. As you know, It is reported Dundat went on a sea voyage, & no one
has seen him since in his original form.

From...
The Lied and Art Song Texts Page
http://www10.overture.com/d/sr/?xargs=05u3hs9yoakFWusTDCRQyFf2Mp0uuTQgMhIhQxsb28xQpGj0klgnH9BKJ6JPJeeHOtfXz%2F74RlvZ3TB55l%2BS7g1SkZeQ%2F16GGAd0z%2FMLHVdvdZZgfTBQklVNWHLEpJP1cEuVV1EVRTbvWaqc2%2FsY9hKLUeYldcC8EJCa5GABZBQcB4sEsY3Gm9EKw1ztObuxs84LpJIl8WWFEcOJMTTPF1ZI7BopqSQ9PpyQnPt3W%2BRNOkfp7Y4%2FzG3V36l8e2ZX7ONWYYDbwlhABdAgY%3D&yargs=www.recmusic.org
....phew!

Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them, - ding-dong bell.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

--

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:06:59 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>It could be the faster processor. Also, I was running it fairly
>frequently I suppose, say once a month. You know, it's quicker with
>frequency. I did run it a few days ago. Here is a Crackup report...
>
>CRACKUP Report: Windows 95(b)
>Generated Friday, February 25, 2005 16:01:18
>
>Drive C:p C R HARD (FAT32)
> Last scan: Friday, February 25, 2005 16:01:04
> 11383 Moveable files
> 761 Directories
> 17 Unmoveable files
> 52 Zero-length files
>
> 0 Unmovable fragmented files
> 17 Unmovable unfragmented files
> 252 Moveable fragmented files and directories
> 11892 Moveable unfragmented files and directories
>
> 3549 Moveable extra fragments (MEF)
> 0 Unmovable extra fragments (UEF)
> 70 Bounded free fragments (BFF)
> 2 Unbounded free fragments (UFF)
>
> 2042868 Total clusters (TC)
> 77768 Unmovable clusters (UC)
> 16507 Moveable fragmented allocated clusters
> 235610 Moveable unfragmented allocated clusters
> 269810 Bounded free clusters
> 1443171 Unbounded free clusters (UFC)
>
> *** Fragmentation (moveable files only): 0.7%
> *** Fragmentation (all files): 0.6%
>
>If that doesn't seem like a lot, it is because I have finally moved
>folders off C:\ & into different partition(s). That includes TIFs, OE
>Store, My Documents, My Downloads, & Installation .CABs. But I was
>getting <20 Defrags before that!

Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine:

CRACKUP Report: Windows 95(b)
Generated Friday, February 25, 2005 14:31:58

Drive C:(None) (FAT32)
Last scan: Friday, February 25, 2005 14:31:35
21434 Moveable files
1574 Directories
91 Unmoveable files
161 Zero-length files

3 Unmovable fragmented files
88 Unmovable unfragmented files
801 Moveable fragmented files and directories
22207 Moveable unfragmented files and directories

7269 Moveable extra fragments (MEF)
20 Unmovable extra fragments (UEF)
842 Bounded free fragments (BFF)
2 Unbounded free fragments (UFF)

1571289 Total clusters (TC)
31585 Unmovable clusters (UC)
65068 Moveable fragmented allocated clusters
520160 Moveable unfragmented allocated clusters
570393 Bounded free clusters
384082 Unbounded free clusters (UFC)

*** Fragmentation (moveable files only): 0.7%
*** Fragmentation (all files): 0.7%

Last defrag was, I think, a couple weeks ago.

--
Luke

bobster wrote:
> Or you can get the latest version here, GEODisk2:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm

Only used it to get the ME defragger from it, then uninstalled the
"GEODisk" program. Thanks anyway.

Nice to see the site is organized though. Hunt around, maybe there's a
version 3 out there too. :p

MM

The site is also moribund. Mr. Geyde has, for several months, been
totally AWOL. Unreachable.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> The site is also moribund. Mr. Geyde has, for several months, been
> totally AWOL. Unreachable.

Perhaps sitting on a tropical island somewhere, chuckling at us from afar?

Up to his neck in cold water fish, last I heard. So, yeah, that makes
sense, <g>.

--

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > The site is also moribund. Mr. Geyde has, for several months, been
> > totally AWOL. Unreachable.
> >

> Perhaps sitting on a tropical island somewhere, chuckling at us from
afar?

Yours looks good enough, too. We will never be totally unfragmented,
because Win98 stores files differently from Win95 owing to Optimization
during Defrag. But that is as it should be.

| > 17 Unmoveable files
| 91 Unmoveable files

One thing that could be bloating your unmoveables is Thumbnail View.
Each folder in which you have it turned on will have a Thumbs.db file
holding the pictures. Turn off the view, & the .db will go away. (Of
course, you may miss them.)

"START, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
C:\>DIR C: /ASH /S /V
....snip Size
IO SYS 222,390 04-23-99 10:22p 12-15-03 RHS
DRVSPACE BIN 69,632 04-23-99 10:22p 04-14-04 RHS
VIDEOROM BIN 65,536 07-30-01 6:02p 04-14-04 HS
DETLOG TXT 73,728 03-24-03 4:07a 04-07-04 HS A
....snip
Total files listed:
9 file(s) 435,831 bytes
4 dir(s) 6,461.88 MB free

Also, you will get more (& big ones), if you have turned on Thumbnails.

THUMBS DB 89,600 12-14-03 2:36a 12-14-03 HS
THUMBS DB 219,648 07-01-03 10:51p 12-16-03 HS A
THUMBS DB 48,640 06-22-03 11:08p 12-16-03 HS A

Thumbs.db appears in every folder in which Thumbnail View is turned on,
it seems. (Now, I have turned it off, & they have disappeared.)

--
"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:06:59 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >It could be the faster processor. Also, I was running it fairly
| >frequently I suppose, say once a month. You know, it's quicker with
| >frequency. I did run it a few days ago. Here is a Crackup report...
| >
| >CRACKUP Report: Windows 95(b)
| >Generated Friday, February 25, 2005 16:01:18
| >
| >Drive C:p C R HARD (FAT32)
| > Last scan: Friday, February 25, 2005 16:01:04
| > 11383 Moveable files
| > 761 Directories
| > 17 Unmoveable files
| > 52 Zero-length files
| >
| > 0 Unmovable fragmented files
| > 17 Unmovable unfragmented files
| > 252 Moveable fragmented files and directories
| > 11892 Moveable unfragmented files and directories
| >
| > 3549 Moveable extra fragments (MEF)
| > 0 Unmovable extra fragments (UEF)
| > 70 Bounded free fragments (BFF)
| > 2 Unbounded free fragments (UFF)
| >
| > 2042868 Total clusters (TC)
| > 77768 Unmovable clusters (UC)
| > 16507 Moveable fragmented allocated clusters
| > 235610 Moveable unfragmented allocated clusters
| > 269810 Bounded free clusters
| > 1443171 Unbounded free clusters (UFC)
| >
| > *** Fragmentation (moveable files only): 0.7%
| > *** Fragmentation (all files): 0.6%
| >
| >If that doesn't seem like a lot, it is because I have finally moved
| >folders off C:\ & into different partition(s). That includes TIFs, OE
| >Store, My Documents, My Downloads, & Installation .CABs. But I was
| >getting <20 Defrags before that!
|
| Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine:
|
| CRACKUP Report: Windows 95(b)
| Generated Friday, February 25, 2005 14:31:58
|
| Drive C:(None) (FAT32)
| Last scan: Friday, February 25, 2005 14:31:35
| 21434 Moveable files
| 1574 Directories
| 91 Unmoveable files
| 161 Zero-length files
|
| 3 Unmovable fragmented files
| 88 Unmovable unfragmented files
| 801 Moveable fragmented files and directories
| 22207 Moveable unfragmented files and directories
|
| 7269 Moveable extra fragments (MEF)
| 20 Unmovable extra fragments (UEF)
| 842 Bounded free fragments (BFF)
| 2 Unbounded free fragments (UFF)
|
| 1571289 Total clusters (TC)
| 31585 Unmovable clusters (UC)
| 65068 Moveable fragmented allocated clusters
| 520160 Moveable unfragmented allocated clusters
| 570393 Bounded free clusters
| 384082 Unbounded free clusters (UFC)
|
| *** Fragmentation (moveable files only): 0.7%
| *** Fragmentation (all files): 0.7%
|
| Last defrag was, I think, a couple weeks ago.
|
| --
| Luke

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:54:43 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Yours looks good enough, too. We will never be totally unfragmented,
>because Win98 stores files differently from Win95 owing to Optimization
>during Defrag. But that is as it should be.
>
>| > 17 Unmoveable files
>| 91 Unmoveable files
>
>One thing that could be bloating your unmoveables is Thumbnail View.
>Each folder in which you have it turned on will have a Thumbs.db file
>holding the pictures. Turn off the view, & the .db will go away. (Of
>course, you may miss them.)
[snip]

Although I work with graphics some on the computer, thumbnail view is
not enabled. No thumbs.db anywhere. So that's not it. Those
unmoveables, give or take, have been there for I don't recall how many
years. Any other ideas?

BTW, I notice on the group I originally meant to post to that the OP
installed ME defrag and is rather pleased with the time savings :).

--
Luke

(1) To see them in a Find box, you'd have to...

(a) START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
(b) Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

(2) Well, what comes up with...

(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) DIR C: /ASH /S /V > %TEMP%\HSFiles.txt
(c) "START button, Run, %TEMP%"

What is inside "HSFiles.txt"? Here is mine...

Directory of C:\
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
IO SYS 222,390 225,280 04-23-99 10:22p 02-26-05 RHS
IO.SYS
DRVSPACE BIN 68,871 69,632 04-23-99 10:22p 02-26-05 RHS
DRVSPACE.BIN
VIDEOROM BIN 65,536 65,536 07-30-01 6:02p 02-26-05 HS
VIDEOROM.BIN
RECYCLED <DIR> 07-31-01 6:37p 07-31-01 HS D
RECYCLED
MSDOSS~1 FIX 1,676 4,096 11-15-99 2:24p 02-20-05 RHS
MSDOS.SYS.FIXED
DETLOG TXT 73,700 73,728 03-24-03 4:07a 02-20-05 HS A
DETLOG.TXT
MSDOS SYS 1,784 4,096 06-15-04 6:40p 02-26-05 RHS A
MSDOS.SYS
DESKTOP INI 262 4,096 02-03-04 10:18p 02-26-05 HS A
Desktop.ini
7 file(s) 434,219 bytes
1 dir(s) 446,464 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\Program Files\X-Setup
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
DESKTOP INI 317 4,096 07-07-00 3:17p 02-20-05 HS
desktop.ini
1 file(s) 317 bytes
0 dir(s) 4,096 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
INSTAL~1 <DIR> 11-15-99 2:31p 11-15-99 HS D
Installer
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\All Users
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
DRM <DIR> 11-15-99 3:42p 11-15-99 HS D DRM
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
DESKTOP HTT 1,178 4,096 12-11-04 4:35a 02-20-05 HS A
Desktop.htt
1 file(s) 1,178 bytes
0 dir(s) 4,096 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\MSDAIPP
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib
OFFLINE <DIR> 05-03-02 11:42p 05-03-02 HS D
Offline
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes allocated

Total files listed:
9 file(s) 435,714 bytes
4 dir(s) 454,656 bytes allocated
6,691.31 MB free
7,979.95 MB total disk space, 16% in use

--
| On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:54:43 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >Yours looks good enough, too. We will never be totally unfragmented,
| >because Win98 stores files differently from Win95 owing to Optimization
| >during Defrag. But that is as it should be.

| >| 91 Unmoveable files
| >
| >One thing that could be bloating your unmoveables is Thumbnail View.
| >Each folder in which you have it turned on will have a Thumbs.db file
| >holding the pictures. Turn off the view, & the .db will go away. (Of
| >course, you may miss them.)
| [snip]
|
| Although I work with graphics some on the computer, thumbnail view is
| not enabled. No thumbs.db anywhere. So that's not it. Those
| unmoveables, give or take, have been there for I don't recall how many
| years. Any other ideas?
|
| BTW, I notice on the group I originally meant to post to that the OP
| installed ME defrag and is rather pleased with the time savings :).
|
| --
| Luke

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:28:26 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>(1) To see them in a Find box, you'd have to...
>
> (a) START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab.
> (b) Bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions..."

Yep :).

>(2) Well, what comes up with...
>
>(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
>(b) DIR C: /ASH /S /V > %TEMP%\HSFiles.txt
>(c) "START button, Run, %TEMP%"
>
>What is inside "HSFiles.txt"?
[snip]

I've been away from the computer. Had to work, dang it. If you're still there, here it is (line
length set at 95 characters to avoid wrapping):

Directory of C:\
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib

DETLOG TXT 6,647 8,192 12-27-04 1:18p 02-13-05 HS A DETLOG.TXT
RECYCLED <DIR> 09-19-98 2:06p 09-19-98 HS D RECYCLED
DETLOG OLD 72,633 73,728 10-27-00 9:14p 02-13-05 HS DETLOG.OLD
IO SYS 222,390 225,280 04-23-99 10:22p 02-13-05 RHS IO.SYS
MSDOS SYS 1,694 4,096 12-27-04 1:20p 02-26-05 RHS MSDOS.SYS
AVG6DB_F DAT 2,957,340 2,961,408 09-30-04 3:14p 02-13-05 RHS AVG6DB_F.DAT
DRVSPACE BIN 68,871 69,632 04-23-99 10:22p 02-13-05 RHS DRVSPACE.BIN
MSDOS BAK 1,676 4,096 12-27-04 12:55p 02-13-05 RHS MSDOS.BAK
DBLSPACE BIN 68,871 69,632 04-23-99 10:22p 02-13-05 RHS DBLSPACE.BIN
WINLFN INI 28,653 28,672 12-27-04 12:58p 02-13-05 RHS A WINLFN.INI
AVG7DB_F DAT 3,962,550 3,964,928 01-29-05 3:28p 02-13-05 RHS AVG7DB_F.DAT
10 file(s) 7,391,325 bytes
1 dir(s) 7,409,664 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\My Documents
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib

DESKTOP INI 125 4,096 09-16-98 2:01p 02-27-05 HS desktop.ini
1 file(s) 125 bytes
0 dir(s) 4,096 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib

INSTAL~1 <DIR> 12-27-04 2:35p 12-27-04 HS D Installer
FTPCACHE <DIR> 01-02-03 7:22a 01-02-03 HS D ftpcache
0 file(s) 0 bytes
2 dir(s) 0 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\All Users
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib

DRM <DIR> 08-16-99 9:14p 08-16-99 HS D DRM
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes allocated

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
File Name Size Allocated Modified Accessed Attrib

DESKTOP HTT 1,092 4,096 02-11-05 11:46a 02-13-05 HS A Desktop.htt
1 file(s) 1,092 bytes
0 dir(s) 4,096 bytes allocated

Total files listed:
12 file(s) 7,392,542 bytes
4 dir(s) 7,417,856 bytes allocated
3,773.42 MB free
6,137.85 MB total disk space, 38% in use

--
Luke