Second Edition full or upgrade? Can you tell from the disks?

I have a couple of questions. I had a computer, now dead, that came with WIN
98 and I bought at one point a WIN 98 Second Edition upgrade and I got a
second full install Second Edition for another computer, no longer running
WIN 98.

I donated one system to my wife's school but I can't tell from the disks if
the copy I have left is a full install or an upgrade. If it is an upgrade,
does it say so on the disk? This one only says, 2nd Edition.

Also, will the Second Edition upgrade require a separate Authentication
number or use the original number from the WIN 98 regular install? I have a
manual with the authentication code which I think is for the second edition
full install I bought, but now I'm not sure.

I want to sell the unused 2nd edition full install and manual.

Thanks
Jeff
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.com
3 answers Last reply
More about second edition full upgrade disks

    The copy that is an Upgrade will say so on the disk. Each installer,
    Upgrade or Full, has it's own Product Key (COA #). The only way to
    easily tell if the COA/Product Key you have is for the disk you have is
    to test. Make a test partition, run the CD Setup and see what happens.
    You can quit Setup as soon as you get to the panel that prompts you to
    create a startup floppy disk. Then delete the test partition.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Jefferis NoSpamme" <jefferisp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a couple of questions. I had a computer, now dead, that came
    with WIN
    > 98 and I bought at one point a WIN 98 Second Edition upgrade and I got
    > second full install Second Edition for another computer, no longer
    running
    > WIN 98.
    >
    > I donated one system to my wife's school but I can't tell from the
    disks if
    > the copy I have left is a full install or an upgrade. If it is an
    upgrade,
    > does it say so on the disk? This one only says, 2nd Edition.
    >
    > Also, will the Second Edition upgrade require a separate
    Authentication
    > number or use the original number from the WIN 98 regular install? I
    have a
    > manual with the authentication code which I think is for the second
    edition
    > full install I bought, but now I'm not sure.
    >
    > I want to sell the unused 2nd edition full install and manual.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
    > Web Design and Marketing
    > http://www.PetersonSales.com

    Thanks, it is a full install

    On 2/23/05 11:09 PM, in article #vgMTaiGFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, "Gary
    S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    > The copy that is an Upgrade will say so on the disk. Each installer,
    > Upgrade or Full, has it's own Product Key (COA #). The only way to
    > easily tell if the COA/Product Key you have is for the disk you have is
    > to test. Make a test partition, run the CD Setup and see what happens.
    > You can quit Setup as soon as you get to the panel that prompts you to
    > create a startup floppy disk. Then delete the test partition.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
    Web Design and Marketing
    http://www.PetersonSales.com

    Congratulations, <s>.

    --

    > Thanks, it is a full install
    >

    > On 2/23/05 11:09 PM, in article #vgMTaiGFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    "Gary
    > S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > > The copy that is an Upgrade will say so on the disk. Each installer,
    > > Upgrade or Full, has it's own Product Key (COA #). The only way to
    > > easily tell if the COA/Product Key you have is for the disk you have
    is
    > > to test. Make a test partition, run the CD Setup and see what
    happens.
    > > You can quit Setup as soon as you get to the panel that prompts you
    > > create a startup floppy disk. Then delete the test partition.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune

    > Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
    > Web Design and Marketing