Second Edition full or upgrade? Can you tell from the disks?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 23, 2005 11:29:18 PM

I have a couple of questions. I had a computer, now dead, that came with WIN
98 and I bought at one point a WIN 98 Second Edition upgrade and I got a
second full install Second Edition for another computer, no longer running
WIN 98.

I donated one system to my wife's school but I can't tell from the disks if
the copy I have left is a full install or an upgrade. If it is an upgrade,
does it say so on the disk? This one only says, 2nd Edition.

Also, will the Second Edition upgrade require a separate Authentication
number or use the original number from the WIN 98 regular install? I have a
manual with the authentication code which I think is for the second edition
full install I bought, but now I'm not sure.

I want to sell the unused 2nd edition full install and manual.

Thanks
Jeff
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.com
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:29:19 PM

The copy that is an Upgrade will say so on the disk. Each installer,
Upgrade or Full, has it's own Product Key (COA #). The only way to
easily tell if the COA/Product Key you have is for the disk you have is
to test. Make a test partition, run the CD Setup and see what happens.
You can quit Setup as soon as you get to the panel that prompts you to
create a startup floppy disk. Then delete the test partition.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Jefferis NoSpamme" <jefferisp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a couple of questions. I had a computer, now dead, that came
with WIN
> 98 and I bought at one point a WIN 98 Second Edition upgrade and I got
> second full install Second Edition for another computer, no longer
running
> WIN 98.
>
> I donated one system to my wife's school but I can't tell from the
disks if
> the copy I have left is a full install or an upgrade. If it is an
upgrade,
> does it say so on the disk? This one only says, 2nd Edition.
>
> Also, will the Second Edition upgrade require a separate
Authentication
> number or use the original number from the WIN 98 regular install? I
have a
> manual with the authentication code which I think is for the second
edition
> full install I bought, but now I'm not sure.
>
> I want to sell the unused 2nd edition full install and manual.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
> Web Design and Marketing
> http://www.PetersonSales.com

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:22:18 AM

Thanks, it is a full install

On 2/23/05 11:09 PM, in article #vgMTaiGFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, "Gary
S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

> The copy that is an Upgrade will say so on the disk. Each installer,
> Upgrade or Full, has it's own Product Key (COA #). The only way to
> easily tell if the COA/Product Key you have is for the disk you have is
> to test. Make a test partition, run the CD Setup and see what happens.
> You can quit Setup as soon as you get to the panel that prompts you to
> create a startup floppy disk. Then delete the test partition.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing