PCIE board for a socket 478 chip?

My ATI Radeon 9800 pro card died on me the other day. Now I need to replace my card and I feel it would be a good decision to purchase a new motherboard so I can get into the PCIE market.

Unfortunately, my processor is a 3.0 ghz P4 Northwood Core with a 478 socket type. I have had little success in locating a good board which offers PCIE capabilities and supports this socket type.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of a suitable board? I don't have the money to upgrade my processor too, so I might be stuck purchasing an AGP card. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. What chipsets are currently considered to be highly desireable? Thanks again.
12 answers Last reply
More about pcie board socket chip
  1. HA!.... You have good timing. There's one, and only one at newegg. Cost you about 150 bucks, only has one slot for pci-e. Just ordered one for somebody's machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130539
  2. It'll work with ddr
  3. Does that MB support his CPU, also no 800FSB

Quote:
    Supports Intel Pentium M Dothan/Celeron M Dothan processors in 478-pin package
    Up to 2 MB L2 cache for Pentium M Dothan and up to 1MB L2 cache for Celeron M Dothan

Note: On Intel Pentium-M/Celeron-M Dothan CPU, with a choice of 478pins and 479pins P-M CPU socket, MSI designed 478pins P-M CPU socket on this board.

Support 400/533MHz FSB
  4. What motherboard do you have now?

That's still a good CPU, just need to find a good graphics card to use for another year. A X850pro / XT would be a good choice.
  5. I'm currently using an ASUS P4P800-SE motherboard. I'm wondering if just buying an AGP card might be my best bet at this time. Thanks for the reponses everyone.
  6. How much do you have to spend and which country are you in?
    Play much in the way of gaming?

Newegg has X800 cards around $150-180. Better choice.
    or X1600pro around the $120-170. Cheaper choice, but still OK.

I would try and get by with what suits you better and wait for later in the year when Conroe or AM2 is out and sorted.
  7. I have a MSI 915GM and it's only for a Pentium M (Dothan) CPU. You cannot plug a standard Pentium 4 socket 478 CPU into that motherboard. I don't think there is any chipset out there that can take a P4 and has PCI-E support in it.

I'd recommend replacing your AGP card this time as it really is the most cost effective solution.

NVIDIA came out with a 7800GS AGP board recently if you want to spend that bit extra on a really fast gaming card, which are comparable to their PCI-E equivalents. I think some of the 6800GS AGP cards with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, may be the best bang for buck.
  8. I live in the U.S. and I game a lot. I play World of Warcraft primarily, which probably doesn't require the highest of high end cards. I think going with an AGP seems like the best solution until I build a completely new system in a year or so. I've been looking at the 6700GS cards, I will also check out the x800. I think the 7800GS will probably be out of my price range.

I would like to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. The advice has been tremendously helpful.
  9. The X800XL would be a nice choice. $180.00 is a good price for that card.
  10. nope that MB is for the mobil cpu's there are 3 asus boards and 1 albatron that support 478 and pcie
    if you go up to the second bar hit search type in p4 478 pcie , you'll find the model numbers.
    The only one you'll find in the usa is a asus p4rd1. but oos at zzf. everything else is $200-$300 on ebay.
  11. I have basically the same problem as Conundrum.

I've seen those Albatron boards on sites, but i haven't been able to find them anywhere to buy.

Also, ICBlu, do you know where I could buy that board? Because on Newegg and Tigerdirect I haven't found anything
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Socket Processors Product