icons suddenly all rearranged ....

As per header. Started the system up (98SE) and all the icons are in
"scrambled" order compared to my normal layout. Re-ran virus check with current
definitions just to double-check - negative. Any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about icons suddenly rearranged

    budgie wrote:
    > As per header. Started the system up (98SE) and all the icons are in
    > "scrambled" order compared to my normal layout. Re-ran virus check with current
    > definitions just to double-check - negative. Any ideas?
    This has happened to me at various times. First solution; keep a
    hardcopy of a screen snapshot, so you can rearrange as you wish.
    Second solution, which I've switched to lately: forget about having
    a custom arrangement, and arrange the icons (right click on the
    desktop, open "arrange icons") "by name"; it's much easier to do,
    and if you can remember the icon names (or rename them to arrange
    more as you wish) it soon gets easy to find things.

    Right click on a blank part of your desktop and look under "arrange icons"
    and see if auto arrange has become ticked" if it has untick it so you choose
    your own layout. Bob

    "budgie" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > As per header. Started the system up (98SE) and all the icons are in
    > "scrambled" order compared to my normal layout. Re-ran virus check with
    current
    > definitions just to double-check - negative. Any ideas?

    It may be as simple as Bob B. said. Otherwise...

    (1) Have you changed the grid-- Icon Spacing horizontal/vertical-- in
    "Control Panel, Display, Appearance tab, Item dropdown menu"? For a
    1024x768 screen, mine are...

    Horizontal... 62.
    Vertical....... 56.

    Fool with those values at your own peril. You may end up with invisible
    icons!

    (2) Have you got too many icons for Auto Arrange to handle? Then one of
    the following articles has a solution-- make folders for them.

    (3) I guess read these articles, from...
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    Search "Desktop Icons"; Windows 98; Filtered; Full Text; All Words;
    Anytime...

    • Desktop Icons May Be Displayed Incorrectly When You Change Display
    Settings (262885) - When you change your display settings to high
    contrast by using the Accessibility Options tool in Control Panel, the
    desktop icons may be displayed close together or on top of each other.
    This behavior can occur if vertical icon spacing is set to...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262885

    • Desktop Icons May Be Rearranged After You Boot into Safe Mode
    (256196) - When you boot your computer into Safe mode and then restart
    your computer into normal mode, the icons on the desktop may be arranged
    differently. This behavior occurs because the desktop icon locations are
    stored in the Shelliconcache file. This...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256196

    • Windows Explorer and Desktop Icons Appear Distorted
    (146213) - The icons in Windows Explorer and on the desktop may appear
    distorted or "fuzzy." Windows displays icons best at size 32 or 48. If
    the icon size is not 32 or 48, Windows synthesizes an icon of the
    requested size by stretching or compressing an...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;146213

    • User Profile Settings Do Not Seem to Be Maintained
    (198628) - When you choose not to include desktop icons and Network
    Neighborhood contents or Start menu items and program groups in user
    profiles, all users may not have the same shortcuts on the desktop or
    Start menu. The behavior occurs because Internet...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198628

    • Icons Disappear or You Cannot Move Icons on the Desktop
    (137069) - You may experience the following symptoms: When you add a new
    icon to the desktop, the icon may seem to disappear if the desktop
    already has a large number of icons. Although you cannot see the icon,
    you can find it using the Find tool, and it...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137069

    • How to Arrange or Move Icons on the Desktop
    (289587) - This article describes how to arrange, move, and change icons
    on the desktop. How to Arrange or Move Icons To arrange icons by name,
    type, date, or size, right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then
    click Arrange Icons . Click the command...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289587

    • How Windows Stores View Preferences
    (171002) - This article describes how Windows stores View preferences
    for the desktop and windows that you open. View preferences include icon
    size, position, layout, and so on. Windows stores up to 28 entries
    containing View preferences for the desktop and...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171002

    • Missing Settings After Disabling the User Profiles Option
    (130330) - When you disable the user profiles option, some icons may be
    missing from the desktop or the Start menu. When you disable user
    profiles, Windows returns to the original profile that existed before
    you enabled the user profiles option. Settings...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130330

    • How to Change Fonts and Colors of Desktop Items
    (140752) - This article describes how to change the fonts and colors for
    desktop items. To change the fonts or colors for desktop items:
    Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and then click
    Properties.Click the Appearance tab.In the Item box, click any...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140752

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    > budgie wrote:
    > > As per header. Started the system up (98SE) and all the icons are in
    > > "scrambled" order compared to my normal layout. Re-ran virus check with
    current
    > > definitions just to double-check - negative. Any ideas?
    > This has happened to me at various times. First solution; keep a
    > hardcopy of a screen snapshot, so you can rearrange as you wish.
    > Second solution, which I've switched to lately: forget about having
    > a custom arrangement, and arrange the icons (right click on the
    > desktop, open "arrange icons") "by name"; it's much easier to do,
    > and if you can remember the icon names (or rename them to arrange
    > more as you wish) it soon gets easy to find things.

    Seems like you have alot of icons on your desktop.. I put the litle used
    icons in their own folder on the desktop. Handy if you need them but out of
    the way most of the time. Bob

    Bob B wrote:

    > Seems like you have alot of icons on your desktop.. I put the litle used
    > icons in their own folder on the desktop. Handy if you need them but out of
    > the way most of the time. Bob

    78 at the moment. I keep icons on the desktop for all the applications
    I want to be able to get at with one click, and usually for a recent
    document or two on a rotating basis. So long as I keep below
    80 or so I find the result easy enough to deal with. I don't use
    a custom background, so the icons are easy to see. My start menu has a
    lot more items on it, and I use a hierarchy that keeps column heights
    safely below the screen height.

    All these things are matters of taste and individual comfort level,
    of course.

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:47:49 GMT, "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Right click on a blank part of your desktop and look under "arrange icons"
    >and see if auto arrange has become ticked" if it has untick it so you choose
    >your own layout. Bob

    Nope, that wasn't ticked - but thanks anyway.

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:57:56 -0800, Anthony Buckland <buckland@direct.ca> wrote:

    >budgie wrote:
    >> As per header. Started the system up (98SE) and all the icons are in
    >> "scrambled" order compared to my normal layout. Re-ran virus check with current
    >> definitions just to double-check - negative. Any ideas?
    >This has happened to me at various times. First solution; keep a
    >hardcopy of a screen snapshot, so you can rearrange as you wish.
    >Second solution, which I've switched to lately: forget about having
    >a custom arrangement, and arrange the icons (right click on the
    >desktop, open "arrange icons") "by name"; it's much easier to do,
    >and if you can remember the icon names (or rename them to arrange
    >more as you wish) it soon gets easy to find things.

    I just might follow that solution #1. It's not that they are in any special
    order, but I know where they all are almost without looking, and once they have
    been scrambled it's a PITA to have to scour the 40+ icons looking for the one I
    want.

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:49:45 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >It may be as simple as Bob B. said. Otherwise...
    >
    >(1) Have you changed the grid-- Icon Spacing horizontal/vertical-- in
    >"Control Panel, Display, Appearance tab, Item dropdown menu"? For a
    >1024x768 screen, mine are...
    >
    >Horizontal... 62.
    >Vertical....... 56.
    >
    >Fool with those values at your own peril. You may end up with invisible
    >icons!

    Nope, NOTHING has been changed/installed/de-installed on the machine.

    >(2) Have you got too many icons for Auto Arrange to handle? Then one of
    >the following articles has a solution-- make folders for them.

    forty-something. Nothing approaching AB's 78. (Is that a "record"? ;-))

    >(3) I guess read these articles, from...
    >http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    >Search "Desktop Icons"; Windows 98; Filtered; Full Text; All Words;
    >Anytime...

    Went through all of them, nothing fits. But thanks for the suggestions. I have
    rearranged them manually to something like they were. As I posted in response
    to an earlier suggestion, they weren't in any special order, but I knew where
    they all were almost without looking, and once they have been scrambled it's a

    budgie wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:49:45 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >

    >>It may be as simple as Bob B. said. Otherwise...
    >>
    >>(1) Have you changed the grid-- Icon Spacing horizontal/vertical-- in
    >>"Control Panel, Display, Appearance tab, Item dropdown menu"? For a
    >>1024x768 screen, mine are...
    >>
    >>Horizontal... 62.
    >>Vertical....... 56.
    >>
    >>Fool with those values at your own peril. You may end up with invisible
    >>icons!
    >

    > Nope, NOTHING has been changed/installed/de-installed on the machine.
    >

    >>(2) Have you got too many icons for Auto Arrange to handle? Then one of
    >>the following articles has a solution-- make folders for them.
    >

    > forty-something. Nothing approaching AB's 78. (Is that a "record"? ;-))
    >

    >>(3) I guess read these articles, from...
    >>http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    >>Search "Desktop Icons"; Windows 98; Filtered; Full Text; All Words;
    >>Anytime...
    >

    > Went through all of them, nothing fits. But thanks for the suggestions. I have
    > rearranged them manually to something like they were. As I posted in response
    > to an earlier suggestion, they weren't in any special order, but I knew where
    > they all were almost without looking, and once they have been scrambled it's a
    > PITA to have to scour the 40+ icons looking for the one I want.

    Check out IconSaver:
    http://www.iconsaver.com/index.html

    You are welcome. Sorry to hear it. There were more articles where those
    came from, but those were the most promising.

    "WinTidy" is nice to have, as it can save your Desktop layouts based on
    screen size. Also, it has pre-defined layouts & super-small mode.

    http://www.pcmag.com/ Has many, many great utilities: BHOCop, COA2,
    ContextEdit, Crackup, DiskAction, EndItAll2, Folders, HDValet, InCtrl5,
    ListZapper, RegDetective, RegEdit+, StartupCop, WinTidy, etc. Now,
    suddenly, there is a subscription fee at PCMag, but, it's worth it,
    especially if you can get the whole bundle that is there.

    ..........Start..................
    Yearly billing $19.97
    Yearly billing (For PC Magazine subscribers) $14.97
    Monthly billing (limit 3 downloads/month) $4.97
    ..........End...................

    You may try Google, but do you really want to download from any odd
    site?
    http://www.google.com/

    --
    | On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:49:45 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >It may be as simple as Bob B. said. Otherwise...
    | >
    | >(1) Have you changed the grid-- Icon Spacing horizontal/vertical-- in
    | >"Control Panel, Display, Appearance tab, Item dropdown menu"? For a
    | >1024x768 screen, mine are...
    | >
    | >Horizontal... 62.
    | >Vertical....... 56.
    | >
    | >Fool with those values at your own peril. You may end up with
    invisible
    | >icons!
    |

    | Nope, NOTHING has been changed/installed/de-installed on the machine.
    |
    | >(2) Have you got too many icons for Auto Arrange to handle? Then one
    of
    | >the following articles has a solution-- make folders for them.
    |
    | forty-something. Nothing approaching AB's 78. (Is that a "record"?
    ;-))

    | >(3) I guess read these articles, from...
    | >http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    | >Search "Desktop Icons"; Windows 98; Filtered; Full Text; All Words;
    | >Anytime...
    |
    | Went through all of them, nothing fits. But thanks for the
    suggestions. I have
    | rearranged them manually to something like they were. As I posted in
    response
    | to an earlier suggestion, they weren't in any special order, but I
    knew where
    | they all were almost without looking, and once they have been
    scrambled it's a
    | PITA to have to scour the 40+ icons looking for the one I want.

Virus Microsoft Icons Windows