Problems with Win98 laptop

My Compaq Armada 1700 is running Windows 98SE with 96MB of RAM

1) Standby no longer works. I hear the sound when I press the button,
but thats it
2) Its become unreliable- I ran Norton Win Doctor and the problems have
remained, and as far as I know all viruses and spyware are off (I have
NAV and McAfee Anti Spyware. I tried the freeware spyware programs and
installed this professional spyware program and boy has it made a
difference!

Perhaps could it be that my computer has become unreliable is because of
RAM? Well I recenly ordered a 128MB RAM chip off Ebay and once that is
installed my laptop will have 160MB which should be adequate for 98.

John
--
1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it

    96 mb is more than an adequate amount of ram for W98; however, depending on
    the software you run, maybe more ram will help but I doubt it. What you
    really need to do is provide specific information about the problems you are
    having including any error messages verbatim. Saying that the computer is
    unreliable has no value when seeking help. WinDoctor is not always reliable
    so if you are basing your comments on what it shows, you may not have
    problems. You don't provide enough information about standby.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My Compaq Armada 1700 is running Windows 98SE with 96MB of RAM
    >
    > 1) Standby no longer works. I hear the sound when I press the button,
    > but thats it
    > 2) Its become unreliable- I ran Norton Win Doctor and the problems have
    > remained, and as far as I know all viruses and spyware are off (I have
    > NAV and McAfee Anti Spyware. I tried the freeware spyware programs and
    > installed this professional spyware program and boy has it made a
    > difference!
    >

    > Perhaps could it be that my computer has become unreliable is because of
    > RAM? Well I recenly ordered a 128MB RAM chip off Ebay and once that is
    > installed my laptop will have 160MB which should be adequate for 98.
    >

    > John
    > --
    > 1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
    > those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it
    > is the power of God.
    > (Read John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" when the church becomes
    > like the world).

Spyware Windows