Yet another SP-2 question

I have a new computer - less than 1 month old and all the drivers are known
to be up to date. After installing SP-2 I had serious problems with MS
Visual C++ and less serious problems with a couple of other applications. I
finally removed SP-2 to resolve the issues. QUESTION: Is it possible to
download and install the individual fixes and patches selectively, or is it
SP-2 or nothing? And withouit SP-2, will I be notified of future fixes and
patches?
2 answers Last reply
More about question

    generally speaking if you have sp1 and all the crit
    updates that apply to your system, a good virus and
    firewall, you should be able to get along without sp2 for
    a while. some future updates will apply to sp2, some in
    the works now i guess. security updates will apply to any
    xp i believe.

    SP2 works for me, with one minor glitch, but a recent post reply from an MVP
    said that whilst XP SP1 security fixes will continue for awhile, at some
    point Microsoft will stop supporting XP without SP2 - I feel that's likely
    to be sooner rather than later.

    My PC is now "old" (approaching 3 years). I updated BIOS and made sure
    everything was "kosher" (virus/malware free, thoroughly cleaned and
    defragged) - that may have helped the trouble-free load of SP2 (though it
    STILL took 2 hours to install after download - longer than a "clean" install
    in the first place!!).
    Hope I'm still as happy in a month's time, as I am now (after a week of SP2)

    Having read with interest the many posts, seems to me that the pre-requisite
    for loading SP2 is to have a clean healthy PC prior to attempting it. Seems
    to be it's only those who don't RTFM (read AND ACTION the pre-load
    procedure) who get the major problems.
    What is annoying is the plethora of 3rd-party utilities that MUST be run to
    keep a PC in good condition - if these are essential tools (as so often
    recommended by MVP's) why aren't they built-in to XP from the outset?
    Len
    "hardhead" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > generally speaking if you have sp1 and all the crit
    > updates that apply to your system, a good virus and
    > firewall, you should be able to get along without sp2 for
    > a while. some future updates will apply to sp2, some in
    > the works now i guess. security updates will apply to any
    > xp i believe.

Microsoft Windows XP