Microsofts Points Not for Win 8, but Will Remain on Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Considering that Microsoft Points do little to benefit Xbox users, as they're confusing, unnecessary, and burdensome because they force users to buy them in increments of five dollars, phasing out the points currency system seems a favorable thing for the company to do.

I thought that was the whole purpose of MSFT points

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
The title is wrong and should read, "Microsofts Points Not for Win 8, for now' but Will Remain on Xbox 360 for the time being."

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
.... Sorry Cat, I don't agree with you on this one. I and presumably MANY other people used them last night for the Mechromancer pack for Borderlands 2 and for the season pass. I use them and quite often. Also, i like the fact that i can purchase points and use a card that is in no way attached to my bank account forgoing a potential Sony fiasco.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
as someone who refuses to link a credit card to the 360, or phone. I would prefer to see the point system expanded. There are families who get in financial issues because little johnny or suzie bought something on xbl using their parents linked credit card. as most kids dont have their own credit cards the ms points system adds value to the xbox ecology.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
There's a much simpler way to do purchases on the Xbox store than the ridiculous points system. Those same cards you buy at the store can just as easily be like any other store's gift cards - i.e. with actual dollars on them, not a points system. As for the complaints about what happened with Sony, you run the same risk buying anything online with any store - or are you saying you never buy anything online ever? Sony just had the unfortunate luck of being directly targeted by a determined group of criminals. The fact that the Xbox app on the PC will use money and not points shows that there really isn't a significant security aspect to this decision.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well DR, you are correct on converting the points cards to money cards, but wrong on the Sony thing. I saw the irc chat, Sony had no absolutely no security measures or encryption protocols. It was a door waiting to be opened sooner or later. They were picked because of this as they were a much easier target to compromise than XBox's platform.

Remember LulzSec even stated that they were trying to make IT corporations 'aware' of their infrastructure vulnerabilities.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
@DRosencraft Good point on the money equivalent. I also do this with itunes cards for my daughter so that the itunes guys don't get my debit card number. I guess paypal could work too. Just don't want them having my card number and then automatically enrolling me in this or that or having my daughter "accidentally" buying $100 worth of music and videos on my card.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
They couldn't have specified this nearly six months ago when they announced they were ridding the points system by the end of the year? I was finally happy that I wasn't going to have to be forced buying more points than I need causing a DLC to ultimately cost 25-50% more and always be stuck with the remainder points that just tease me.

Probably the stupidest thing about the entire X-Box platform.

spat55

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lupinesithlord[/nom]as someone who refuses to link a credit card to the 360, or phone. I would prefer to see the point system expanded. There are families who get in financial issues because little johnny or suzie bought something on xbl using their parents linked credit card. as most kids dont have their own credit cards the ms points system adds value to the xbox ecology.[/citation]

Well then, the easy option around this is to tell your kid never to buy anything without telling you, or tell you straight after what he/she has brought, if they can't tell you and disrespect your trust then don't leave your details, delete them, and don't let them use them or put them in everytime you want to use the store. your welcome :)

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]There's a much simpler way to do purchases on the Xbox store than the ridiculous points system. Those same cards you buy at the store can just as easily be like any other store's gift cards - i.e. with actual dollars on them, not a points system. As for the complaints about what happened with Sony, you run the same risk buying anything online with any store - or are you saying you never buy anything online ever? Sony just had the unfortunate luck of being directly targeted by a determined group of criminals. The fact that the Xbox app on the PC will use money and not points shows that there really isn't a significant security aspect to this decision.[/citation]
Its not about "running the same risk" its about minimizing scope and surface of attack. Sure i buy stuff online, who on TH hasnt. But we go through a validation process on Newegg, Visa and mastercard have a secondary authentication mechanism (which MS bypasses on XBox) and for all my purchases, i use Paypal (though they just made a questionable change to the terms agreement). I minimize surface of attack by using Paypal and same goes for MS points cards. This is a personal reference and in no way am i reflecting the opinions of others. I put that disclaimer out there cause some people will take it as im speaking for the majority unfortunately.
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]They couldn't have specified this nearly six months ago when they announced they were ridding the points system by the end of the year? I was finally happy that I wasn't going to have to be forced buying more points than I need causing a DLC to ultimately cost 25-50% more and always be stuck with the remainder points that just tease me.Probably the stupidest thing about the entire X-Box platform.[/citation]
I do agree with the you that buying more points than needed sucks.
[citation][nom]spat55[/nom]Well then, the easy option around this is to tell your kid never to buy anything without telling you, or tell you straight after what he/she has brought, if they can't tell you and disrespect your trust then don't leave your details, delete them, and don't let them use them or put them in everytime you want to use the store. your welcome[/citation]
Harsh but necessary, dont let them get away with it. ONE chance, thats it, other than that, they are cut off. Go mow some lawns for you tunes or DLC, work for it like the rest of the us... non pirating... world :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Considering that Microsoft Points do little to benefit Xbox users, as they're confusing, unnecessary, and burdensome because they force users to buy them in increments of five dollars, phasing out the points currency system seems a favorable thing for the company to do.I thought that was the whole purpose of MSFT points[/citation]

they had more to do with purchases that are around 1$ on a creditcard. from my understanding, they dont like that at visa and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.