98 startup

I removed a modem. Now it just starts and goes to the page that has startup
options(safe mode,ect) No matter what number I select the screen goes blank
and I can go no further.I can't get to the desktop1 Can anyone help me,PLEASE
10 answers Last reply
More about startup

    With thanks to Glen Ventura, MVP ("Glee")

    Follow the procedures here:
    Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    Internet
    Explorer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

    If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
    Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

    Especially this section at the end:

    "If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
    command prompt
    to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
    c:\windows\system.ini.

    "Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
    shell=progman.exe. What you
    are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
    from the
    Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

    "Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
    empty
    Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
    selection to
    browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
    ie6setup.exe
    (depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
    faced
    options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
    installed,
    tell it to reinstall all of the files.

    "When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the
    F8 key to
    bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command
    prompt. Once
    there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the
    line
    shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file.
    You have now
    set the shell back to the original value."

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Buddy King" <BuddyKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I removed a modem. Now it just starts and goes to the page that has
    startup
    > options(safe mode,ect) No matter what number I select the screen goes
    blank
    > and I can go no further.I can't get to the desktop1 Can anyone help
    me,PLEASE

    How was the modem removed?
    Was it removed from Device Manager?
    Did you uninstall any software associated with it in Control Panel >
    Add/Remove Programs as well?

    Can you boot to DOS with a 98 bootdisk? If so, type in at the prompt and
    press Enter after each line, do not type the notes:

    cd
    c:\
    attrib -s -h -r autoexec.bat **Note spaces after attrib, s, h, and r**
    attrib -s -h -r config.sys
    ren autoexec.bat autoexec.ba_ **Note space after ren, bat and sys **
    ren config.sys sonfig.sy_

    Remove the bootdisk and press ctrl+alt+del to reboot.
    Does it boot to the desktop now?

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Buddy King" <BuddyKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I removed a modem. Now it just starts and goes to the page that has startup
    > options(safe mode,ect) No matter what number I select the screen goes
    > blank
    > and I can go no further.I can't get to the desktop1 Can anyone help
    > me,PLEASE

    From the way I read it that won't work. It appears the screen goes black
    after any startup menu selection and goes no further.

    --

    > With thanks to Glen Ventura, MVP ("Glee")
    >
    > Follow the procedures here:
    > Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    > Internet
    > Explorer:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191
    >
    > If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
    > Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    > http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/r5ba
    >
    > Especially this section at the end:
    >
    > "If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
    > command prompt
    > to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
    > c:\windows\system.ini.
    >
    > "Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
    > shell=progman.exe. What you
    > are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
    > from the
    > Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.
    >
    > "Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
    > empty
    > Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
    > selection to
    > browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
    > ie6setup.exe
    > (depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
    > faced
    > options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
    > installed,
    > tell it to reinstall all of the files.
    >
    > "When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the
    > F8 key to
    > bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command
    > prompt. Once
    > there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the
    > line
    > shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file.
    > You have now
    > set the shell back to the original value."
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Buddy King" <BuddyKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I removed a modem. Now it just starts and goes to the page that has
    > startup
    >> options(safe mode,ect) No matter what number I select the screen goes
    > blank
    >> and I can go no further.I can't get to the desktop1 Can anyone help
    > me,PLEASE

    Yup, you're right--and I see you have pursued another avenue--but there
    are Startup Options that don't involve Config.sys or Autoexec.bat,
    either. If it's true that *no* Startup Option gets past first base, I
    have to wonder about serious hardware misconfiguration or failure.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > prompt. Once
    > > there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change
    the
    > > line
    > > shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the
    file.
    > > You have now
    > > set the shell back to the original value."
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Buddy King" <BuddyKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I removed a modem. Now it just starts and goes to the page that has
    > > startup
    > >> options(safe mode,ect) No matter what number I select the screen
    goes
    > > blank
    > >> and I can go no further.I can't get to the desktop1 Can anyone

    Yeah, I just figured if it was a call in either it's worth a first shot.
    Now on second thought it doesn't even get that far.

    Gotta wonder if the OP physically removed the modem and paid no attention to
    pulling the power and keeping grounded.

    I'm out for the night, long ride in the morn to a job site.

    --

> [...]
    >> > line
    >> > shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the
    > file.
    >> > You have now
    >> > set the shell back to the original value."
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Gary S. Terhune
    >> > MS MVP Shell/User
    >> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >> >
    >> > "Buddy King" <BuddyKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > startup
    > goes
    >> > blank
    > help
    >> > me,PLEASE

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > From the way I read it that won't work. It appears the screen goes black
    > after any startup menu selection and goes no further.

    Nope, you are wrong.
    He said "the screen goes BLANK. (not black)

    Jane

    A screen to go blank at that point in the Startup would also mean it
    goes black, unless the screen's natural color isn't black.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > > From the way I read it that won't work. It appears the screen goes
    black
    > > after any startup menu selection and goes no further.
    >

    > Nope, you are wrong.
    > He said "the screen goes BLANK. (not black)
    >
    > Jane

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > Nope, you are wrong.
    > He said "the screen goes BLANK. (not black)

    In this situation, Black or Blank is of no difference and whether the OP
    wrote Black or Blank is of no importance. The importance is the issue at
    hand, what the cause of the issue is and how to resolve the issue.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Brian A. has had more XP-radiation exposure than you have, jane. In a
    week/two, you won't be able to tell the difference, either, I fear!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | > From the way I read it that won't work. It appears the screen goes
    black
    | > after any startup menu selection and goes no further.
    |

    | Nope, you are wrong.
    | He said "the screen goes BLANK. (not black)
    |
    | Jane

    Wooa, it's gettin a little deep in here!!!

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > A screen to go blank at that point in the Startup would also mean it
    > goes black, unless the screen's natural color isn't black.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >>> From the way I read it that won't work. It appears the screen goes black
    >>> after any startup menu selection and goes no further.
    >>

    >> Nope, you are wrong.
    >> He said "the screen goes BLANK. (not black)
    >>
    >> Jane

Safe Mode Modem Microsoft Windows