[Solved]Athlon 64 3000 with old power supply

Hi all

I've been asked to put together some bits and pieces an old work colleague has bought for a new PC for his son.

The powersupply is an old ATX (1.3 rather than 2.0?) with the smaller motherboard connector. It is marked 350w.

The motherboard is an Asus A8N-E and the graphics card is a PCIexpress X1300 but is passively cooled (thus it draws all the power it needs from the bus).

Apart from this the system contains
1x IDE HDD
1x Floppy
2x CD Drives

From what I've read this power supply looks okay for this system - however, if there is a risk its going to fail and damage the components I'd rather insist he buy an ATX2.0 ps

Also, just double checking that the 12v socket on the motherboard up near the processor is for the 4 pin plug coming off the powersupply with the yellow and black wires - I know this was used for the P4s but to my knowledge I don't remember using it on an Athlon XP system (they just took all the power off the 'main' motherboard plug) so thought it best to double check :roll:

Many thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about solved athlon 3000 power supply
  1. It might work, as the XP series indeed did not require the extra mb cpu power plug...

Can't hurt to try, but if it doesn't POST or constantly reboots, a new ATX PS with 24 pin plug might be in order....
  2. The rig I just replaced, was an athalon xp, 2 IDE hard drives, 2 dvd drives, BFG 6800GT...the power supply? a whopping 250W. It never had a problem with getting enough power.
  3. Quote:
    Hi all

I've been asked to put together some bits and pieces an old work colleague has bought for a new PC for his son.

The powersupply is an old ATX (1.3 rather than 2.0?) with the smaller motherboard connector. It is marked 350w.

The motherboard is an Asus A8N-E and the graphics card is a PCIexpress X1300 but is passively cooled (thus it draws all the power it needs from the bus).

Apart from this the system contains
    1x IDE HDD
    1x Floppy
    2x CD Drives

From what I've read this power supply looks okay for this system - however, if there is a risk its going to fail and damage the components I'd rather insist he buy an ATX2.0 ps

Also, just double checking that the 12v socket on the motherboard up near the processor is for the 4 pin plug coming off the powersupply with the yellow and black wires - I know this was used for the P4s but to my knowledge I don't remember using it on an Athlon XP system (they just took all the power off the 'main' motherboard plug) so thought it best to double check :roll:

Many thanks in advance

Athlon XP does not require the aux mother connector to the motherbard, S939 solutions do. So if you PSU does not have that plug you will need a new PSU.
  4. Quote:

Athlon XP does not require the aux mother connector to the motherbard, S939 solutions do. So if you PSU does not have that plug you will need a new PSU.

Thanks for that - I should have been clearer. The powersupply has got what looks like a 4 Pin ATX 12V power plug hanging off it. The Asus manual does indicate this should be connected.

It has yellow and black wires. However not having the manual for the PSU I didn't want to plug it in and switch it on without checking if this was what in actual fact it was likely to be. I presume with the previous Athlonxp mobo this was just left hanging in the case...
  5. Can you download the manual for the PSU from the manufactures site?
    If not, it's a small gamble. Ask your friend if he wants to gamble his new parts against the cost of a new PSU.

(Added)
    Does the PSU have 2 different 12v rails? Got to be able to supply enough amps at a stable 12 volts to the motherboard and to the hard drives, burners and etc. Two separate 12v rails helps keep voltage stable.
  6. Quote:

Thanks for that - I should have been clearer. The powersupply has got what looks like a 4 Pin ATX 12V power plug hanging off it. The Asus manual does indicate this should be connected.

It has yellow and black wires. However not having the manual for the PSU I didn't want to plug it in and switch it on without checking if this was what in actual fact it was likely to be. I presume with the previous Athlonxp mobo this was just left hanging in the case...

Like booknerd says, if you want to take a gramble (granted very low risk) go for it. There has been to my knowledge no other use for that connector than aux power. My PSU's aux connector has yellow and black writes and is a square plug with 4 holes.
  7. Quote:

Like booknerd says, if you want to take a gramble (granted very low risk) go for it. There has been to my knowledge no other use for that connector than aux power. My PSU's aux connector has yellow and black writes and is a square plug with 4 holes.

Thanks, all seems to be working fine. Thanks to everyone who replied
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Motherboards Systems