Options grayed out on Quick Launch bar

Not sure if this is a W98 problem but I'll start here.

Running 98SE, IE6, Office 2000. When I right click the Word or Excel icons
in the Quick Launch bar, and open the Properties, all of the options on the
Shortcut tab are grayed out. Anyone know why?

Tom McFarland
8 answers Last reply
More about options grayed quick launch

    What are they like from a short on the desktop? If it allows changes from
    one on the desktop, drag it to the QL and see if it changes anything.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Tom McFarland wrote:
    > Not sure if this is a W98 problem but I'll start here.
    >
    > Running 98SE, IE6, Office 2000. When I right click the Word or Excel
    > icons in the Quick Launch bar, and open the Properties, all of the
    > options on the Shortcut tab are grayed out. Anyone know why?
    >
    > Tom McFarland

    I have the same situation with Paint Shop Pro 7.02 on the taskbar and in the
    Start Menu. According to posters at the PSP site it was deliberately built
    into the program due to a specific functional concern. I assume Microsoft
    would have had to approve it - maybe they have a similar concern about later
    versions (than '97) of the Office Suite as well (?)

    "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > I have the same situation with Paint Shop Pro 7.02 on the taskbar and in
    > the
    > Start Menu. According to posters at the PSP site it was deliberately built
    > into the program due to a specific functional concern. I assume Microsoft
    > would have had to approve it - maybe they have a similar concern about
    > later
    > versions (than '97) of the Office Suite as well (?)

    Not at all. I've never had the problem with '97, 2002 and/or 2003.

    It has to be something else.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Don't have a shortcut on the desktop, but I created new ones on the QL from
    the Office folder exe files and they look OK. Still curious as to why the
    original ones were grayed out, though.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Tom McFarland

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > What are they like from a short on the desktop? If it allows changes from
    > one on the desktop, drag it to the QL and see if it changes anything.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom McFarland" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    > > Not sure if this is a W98 problem but I'll start here.
    > >
    > > Running 98SE, IE6, Office 2000. When I right click the Word or Excel
    > > icons
    > > in the Quick Launch bar, and open the Properties, all of the options on
    > > the
    > > Shortcut tab are grayed out. Anyone know why?
    > >
    > > Tom McFarland

    Most likely they were grayed out because they were created by the MSI
    Installer during the installation. MSI creates different shortcuts, or
    whatever reason.

    Hope this helps,

    CEF

    On 2/25/2005 9:44 PM, Tom McFarland wrote:
    > Don't have a shortcut on the desktop, but I created new ones on the QL from
    > the Office folder exe files and they look OK. Still curious as to why the
    > original ones were grayed out, though.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > Tom McFarland
    >

    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >
    >>What are they like from a short on the desktop? If it allows changes from
    >>one on the desktop, drag it to the QL and see if it changes anything.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Brian A.
    >>
    >>Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >>http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >>"Tom McFarland" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Not sure if this is a W98 problem but I'll start here.
    >>>
    >>>Running 98SE, IE6, Office 2000. When I right click the Word or Excel
    >>>icons
    >>>in the Quick Launch bar, and open the Properties, all of the options on
    >>>the
    >>>Shortcut tab are grayed out. Anyone know why?
    >>>
    >>>Tom McFarland

    Office suites do not place a shortcut in QL or on the desktop when
    installed, at least I've never seen one.

    --

    "Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@_MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
    > Most likely they were grayed out because they were created by the MSI
    > Installer during the installation. MSI creates different shortcuts, or
    > whatever reason.
    >

    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > CEF
    >
    > On 2/25/2005 9:44 PM, Tom McFarland wrote:
    >> Don't have a shortcut on the desktop, but I created new ones on the QL
    >> from
    >> the Office folder exe files and they look OK. Still curious as to why
    >> the
    >> original ones were grayed out, though.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>
    >> Tom McFarland
    >>

    >> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What are they like from a short on the desktop? If it allows changes from
    >>>one on the desktop, drag it to the QL and see if it changes anything.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>Brian A.
    >>>
    >>>Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >>>http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>>"Tom McFarland" <none@none.com> wrote in message

    As far as I know you are correct. But, if you copy/paste the shortcuts
    created in Start/Programs then they might be the MSI shortcuts, hence
    this problem.

    CEF

    On 2/26/2005 4:23 PM, Brian A. wrote:
    > Office suites do not place a shortcut in QL or on the desktop when
    > installed, at least I've never seen one.

    That makes sense. I've never looked at the properties of shortcuts in the
    Programs menu, but now that I have I see they are setup differently.

    --

    > As far as I know you are correct. But, if you copy/paste the shortcuts
    > created in Start/Programs then they might be the MSI shortcuts, hence this
    > problem.
    >

    > CEF
    >
    > On 2/26/2005 4:23 PM, Brian A. wrote:
    >> Office suites do not place a shortcut in QL or on the desktop when
    >> installed, at least I've never seen one.

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows