the Date on a message, is 12:25 my time
or some other time?
5 answers Last reply
More about time messages

    What messages, where?

    Che messaggi? Dove?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Gianni wrote:
    > When I see something like 12:25 AM for
    > the Date on a message, is 12:25 my time
    > or some other time?

    For example, notes in the newsgroup ,
    or notes in my inbox,
    usually show a date and time.
    I worded the query poorly.

    I just noticed that your reply to my
    append is 5:04AM which, I guess, is
    based on my time zone (EST). Am I guessing
    incorrectly.

    I was mainly curious if there was a
    time on the note that corresponded to
    the writer's timezone; I can't find any.

    Grazie

    PA Bear wrote:

    > What messages, where?
    >
    > Che messaggi? Dove?

    Messages and email are timestamped using computer's date/time, plus a
    notation indicating time zone, according to the system's Regional
    Settings. A similar conversion occurs on the receiving end.

    Example: I send a post at 19:00:00 on Feb. 24, 2005. Since my Regional
    Settings are set to Pacific Standard Time, which is 8 hours behind UTC
    (GMT) the timestamp is:
    Fri, 24 Feb 2005 19:00:00 -0800

    If your system's Regional Settings have the time zone as Eastern
    Standard Time, or UTC -0500, your system adds three hours to the
    timestamp to give you your local time:
    Fri, 24 Feb 2005 22:00:00 -0500

    That date is, again, displayed according to your preferences, and in the
    case of Outlook Express, it appears to be rounded off by simply dropping
    the seconds figure: 19:00:01 and 19:00:59 round to 7:00 PM. (Though I'm
    not absolutely sure of that.)

    However, that's only the "Sent" timestamp. There are also various
    timestamps added to the message as it passes through servers on its way
    from me to you, the "Received" timestamp being that moment when it
    landed on your email server (not when you download it from the
    server--when it arrived at the server.) The Received timestamp is what
    you usually see in the message queue, though in Outlook Express you can
    add the "Sent" column to see that, too.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Gianni" <gianni@gianni.com> wrote in message
    > For example, notes in the newsgroup ,
    > or notes in my inbox,
    > usually show a date and time.
    > I worded the query poorly.
    >
    > I just noticed that your reply to my
    > append is 5:04AM which, I guess, is
    > based on my time zone (EST). Am I guessing
    > incorrectly.
    >
    > I was mainly curious if there was a
    > time on the note that corresponded to
    > the writer's timezone; I can't find any.
    >
    > Grazie
    >
    > PA Bear wrote:
    >
    > > What messages, where?
    > >
    > > Che messaggi? Dove?

    That explains it. I am using Netscape
    and it drops off information when
    the header is displayed. I printed out
    the note and was able to see the
    full information. It appears to be the
    sent time with the time zone appended.

    Thanks Gary and all who responded.
    This is a great newsgroup.

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    >Messages and email are timestamped using computer's date/time, plus a
    >notation indicating time zone, according to the system's Regional
    >Settings. A similar conversion occurs on the receiving end.
    >
    >Example: I send a post at 19:00:00 on Feb. 24, 2005. Since my Regional
    >Settings are set to Pacific Standard Time, which is 8 hours behind UTC
    >(GMT) the timestamp is:
    >Fri, 24 Feb 2005 19:00:00 -0800
    >
    >If your system's Regional Settings have the time zone as Eastern
    >Standard Time, or UTC -0500, your system adds three hours to the
    >timestamp to give you your local time:
    >Fri, 24 Feb 2005 22:00:00 -0500
    >
    >That date is, again, displayed according to your preferences, and in the
    >case of Outlook Express, it appears to be rounded off by simply dropping
    >the seconds figure: 19:00:01 and 19:00:59 round to 7:00 PM. (Though I'm
    >not absolutely sure of that.)
    >
    >However, that's only the "Sent" timestamp. There are also various
    >timestamps added to the message as it passes through servers on its way
    >from me to you, the "Received" timestamp being that moment when it
    >landed on your email server (not when you download it from the
    >server--when it arrived at the server.) The Received timestamp is what
    >you usually see in the message queue, though in Outlook Express you can
    >add the "Sent" column to see that, too.

    It depends on your newsreader, but times are usually displayed as your local
    time. The message header includes the message time and the sender's
    timezone.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)