AMD K6-2 350
DFI K6BV3+ (via)
SDRAM VISIPRO 256MB (2x64mb + 1x128mb)
Geforce 4mx 460 64mb DDR
HD Maxtor 20 GB + Seagate 10 GB
CDROM Aopen 40x
Generic PSU 380W
*old* Sound Blaster 32 ISA

i already clean up all components, use contact cleaner to mobo.....
but still.....freezing after few seconds in windows........ 98 or XP is the same.
try boot into safe mode, still same/keep freezing after few seconds.
before freezing, i can click start button and menu still appear ......then freeze....

with memtest-86, my memory is ok.....
i try reinstall windows, but when preparing to setup 70% freeze again.....
my bro use this comp for typing only......
in bios, temp is 45c.
i already try: changing PSU, boot without sound card & cdrom, use only 1 memory. but still freezing.

thx for any help......
note: sorry for my spell
:)

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ask joefriday he might help you with this, He's running the same type of computer specs your talking about here. Sorry i dunno a whole much about AMDs older than the new Athlon XP line

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Is it dual boot for 98/XP?

I would try to boot to dos on the 98 side and run chkdsk or scandisk, and see if it freezes in dos mode, with HD activity.

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
thx for reply.....
YO_KID37
Ask joefriday he might help you with this, He's running the same type of computer specs your talking about here. Sorry i dunno a whole much about AMDs older than the new Athlon XP line

thx, i`ll pm him soon :)

Grimmy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:10 pm Post subject: Re: Help...old computer keep freezing
Is it dual boot for 98/XP?

I would try to boot to dos on the 98 side and run chkdsk or scandisk, and see if it freezes in dos mode, with HD activity.

yes, its dual boot 98 and XP.
ok i'll try scandisk, and i'll post the result later,
thx

o1die
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:51 pm Post subject: Re: Help...old computer keep freezing
I would apply some thermal paste to the cpu after cleaning it with ispropyl alcohol. One drop is all you need. The heatsink will spread it out on contact. Those k6's ran pretty warm.

i'll clean it, and apply artic silver 5, and see the temp ....thx :)

i have another question, i have comp with spec:

Athlon XP Barton 2500 - TT TR2-M4 + AS5
Gigabyte GA7-N400L
DDR Kingston KVR 768MB PC2700
Inno3D 6600GT AGP with Zalman VF 7000Cu + AS5
HD 120 + 40GB Maxtor 7200 Rpm
DVDRom Liteon 16x
Thermaltake 430W Pure Power
Dell CRT 17" E733S

i ever OC it to 11x200 @3200 for 2 weeks and stable for playing games(memory divider: 83% because PC2700 only).
cpu temp :
idle 50c, full load 60c, case temp 34c
without OC, temps are decrease about 3-5c for CPU temp
i always take off a side case and blow it with big fan directly.
if not then idle is 60c++

3 days ago i back it to the normal clock (11x166), but last night when i play obvilion suddenly the monitor goes blank and HDD led is red. i restart the comp but cant.
it still blank... likely my monitor doesnt have any signal from vga, and there is no 1 beep like usually when my system are ok.

i try to re-seat all cable data and power. but no luck. the last thing i do is clear cmos. and thanks god my comp is normal again.....

my question:
1. what happen to my comp? it is because i ever OC it or what? that happen when my cpu is not OC. should i OC it again?
2. is my cpu temp too hot? thinking about replace it with TT Pipe101.
3. is Athlon XP bottlenecking a 6600GT? plan to upgrade to Athlon64 + asrock dual939 sata2, so i can use my 6600GT AGP.

help me
thank u very much

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
3 days ago i back it to the normal clock (11x166), but last night when i play obvilion suddenly the monitor goes blank and HDD led is red. i restart the comp but cant.
it still blank... likely my monitor doesnt have any signal from vga, and there is no 1 beep like usually when my system are ok.

How did you test to see if your OC was stable?

Most guys here will tell you to make sure it is stable by running stress test. Not sure if you know at least 2 tools usually used, Prime 95, and Memtest.

Prime95 it for at least 6 hours (most say 8 hours).

Run Memtest at least 6 hours (some say all nite).

With your system OC, if it can run 6 hours without any errors (IMO), then it can be considered a stable OC.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
What about a fresh format and installation of XP? If it can take it.. Otherwise I really don't see the point in keeping that old mobo/CPU

endyen

Splendid
You didn't say what type of fan you have on your K6. If it's more than 3 years old, it may be slowing down. Time to replace it.

The most probable reason your xp chip went down was Windows. It will do that, if it thinks it sees a major change. Remember, you have to get a note from Bill, if you want to change your setup.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'll try and help the best I can. Here goes:

1. Has this computer had similar problems in the past, or is this a fresh build?

2. Double check you jumpers on the HDDs and CD rom drive to make sure there aren't any Drive conflicts. I would definitely jumper them as Master/Slave. Forget about Cable Select. It may not hurt to disconnect the slave drive while trying to boot either.

3. Can you get into the bios? And if so, how long will it stay in the Bios? Will it ever freeze just sitting in the bios? May not hurt to boot it up, enter the Bios and walk away. Return after an hour to see if it froze up.

4. Try booting with just the 128 mb stick of ram, the OS hard drive (no slave), no CD ROM drive, and no sound/modem/NIC cards. Just ram, video, and hdd. See if it will work then. If not, keep switching out the ram until you've tried them all separately in that configuration.

5. Endyen brings up a good point: These ARE fresh OS installs, right?

I'll note that the VIA MVP3 chipset is known to have some issues with instability. My rig uses the less exotic ALI Aladdin V. At least the ALI chips are rock solid stable.

Keep us posted.

Joe

I was confronted to this same problem on another K6 - and it wasn't the first I saw that way.

Try this: reduce its multiplier, so that you can reduce its frequency (150 MHz should be possible). Then, start the system and boot. If it doesn't crash anymore, then you probably are a victim of the dreaded K6 warm-up: your chip will work reliably yes, but only at lower than stock clock speeds.

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
guys....thx 4 reply...

@ Grimmy

to see if my OC was stable or not, im using Prime95 but just for 1 hour :p

i dont know if it should run for 6-8 hours. im using 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 too (benchmark and demo), then playing BattleField2, NFSMW for 2-3 hours without problem.

i never try memtest on my Athlon.

I will try them to make sure my OC is stable or not... Thx

@ hashv2f16

i never try to format the HD because its full enough of data, maybe i should backup the data then do reinstall in fresh format HD. but.... before that, i would like to try another way 1st, like scandisk (like Grimmy said), lowering clock (Mitch074 said), and try some advices from Joefriday and all of you. format HD maybe when all of these ways fail :)

thx

i dont use this K6, but my bro just do typing, so i think this computer is still worth to do that :) however im planning to move to Atlhon64, and give my AtlhonXP to my bro. im in "saving money" progress right now :)

@ endyen

i never change K6 hsf from 1999 (wow... almost 7 years). sometimes i just clean it from dust. i remember this fan ever stop for several time (maybe 3-4 times). i know it because i set cpu temp alarm to 55c. when this alarm ring on, i check the fan is stop, but when i touch the fan with my finger, the fan is turning on again. but for several years the fan is ok, i mean its keep turning on.

yes, you're right.... time to replace it, thx.

@ joefriday

1. i never had similar problems with this K6 in the past, just this time.... i mean my problem start from 2-3 weeks ago.

2. normally im using:

primary master -> 1st HD (jumpet set to master)

primary slave -> 2nd HD (jumpet set to slave)

secondary master -> CDRom (jumpet set to master)

i never set to cable-select :)

3. i can get into bios, but i never try stay in bios for a long time. i just see the setting then reboot again. i will try stay in bios and see whether it froze up or not.

4. i already try your advice no 4, just ram, vga and hdd (and keep switching memory) but still no luck.

5. i never try this, i just ever try reinstall w98 but without reformat the HD. i'll try with fresh install in reformat HD when all another advice failed. i should try all of them.

thx for advices!

note: when i buy this rig in 1999, there are 2 of my friends buy same rig as mine (i mean same mobo: DFI and processor). different HD, memory, video and PSU.

one of them is still ok right now, but the other are not (already damage 1,5 year ago).

maybe my K6 will follow the damage one... LOL

j/k

@ Mitch074

mine is 100 x 3,5 = 350 MHz.

ic.....maybe its happen because my K6 temp is high enough, so maybe my cpu is damage slightly right? i mean some of its transistor already damaged. so if i lowering the clock maybe it still can work right?

ok, i will try this... thx

@ linux_0

i already have koppix cd :)

i should try this too

thx

@ TabrisDarkPeace
1st HD with w98, swap file in 2nd HD
2nd HD with XP, swap file in 1st HD.
my comp freeze after enter the windows maybe about 15-25 second.
i should check these HD on my another computer
Thx

guys, thx for all the advice, i will try them as soon as possible and then post the result later....

sorry for my spell :)

I had the case with a K6-233 and a K6-350 (probably same as yours). They wouldn't work properly at their base frequency, but slowing them down to 150 made them work like charms - even with same FSB and different mobos.

I'm inclined to think that this is your problem, since:
1- you have failures installing Windows, so it can't be the swap file (sorry Tabris)

2- you tried all RAM chips independantly, and the errors was always the same. So except if all your chips were failed at the exact same address, it's not a RAM problem

3- Trying Knoppix CD is a good way to scratch out CD/HD jumper or generic problems: it won't boot if the jumpers are misconfigured, and it doesn't use the HD at all - so if it crashes, it's mobo/CPU/RAM related (of which we've seen that it's not the RAM)

Now, if your mobo is an all-integrated TX Pro 2, then it may be mobo-related. However I'm very much inclined to think it's your K6 saying it got too warm.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
hi, im new here...
my old comp spec:

AMD K6-2 350
DFI K6BV3+ (via)
SDRAM VISIPRO 256MB (2x64mb + 1x128mb)
Geforce 4mx 460 64mb DDR
HD Maxtor 20 GB + Seagate 10 GB
CDROM Aopen 40x
Generic PSU 380W
*old* Sound Blaster 32 ISA

i already clean up all components, use contact cleaner to mobo.....
but still.....freezing after few seconds in windows........ 98 or XP is the same.
try boot into safe mode, still same/keep freezing after few seconds.
before freezing, i can click start button and menu still appear ......then freeze....

with memtest-86, my memory is ok.....
i try reinstall windows, but when preparing to setup 70% freeze again.....
my bro use this comp for typing only......
in bios, temp is 45c.
i already try: changing PSU, boot without sound card & cdrom, use only 1 memory. but still freezing.

thx for any help......
note: sorry for my spell
:)
Off the top of my head I would assume it's either the PSU, the RAM, or the HD.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
@ Grimmy

to see if my OC was stable or not, im using Prime95 but just for 1 hour Razz

i dont know if it should run for 6-8 hours. im using 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 too (benchmark and demo), then playing BattleField2, NFSMW for 2-3 hours without problem.

Well, I know I'm OC a processor that is not the same as yours, but I've done a Prime95 test, and my P4 failed in 2 hours. I could have done the same thing as you and said mine was stable if I did it for only 1 hour, instead of 6. :p

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hi, last night i have try some advice:

but last night i just have only 1,5 hours to try, because this computer not at my home, its on my bro's home. and my bro already back to another town for study. so i cant test it all night.

i will bring this comp at my home so i can test it all night. but from tommorow until next 4 or 7 days i'll be in another town, far enough from my town, i have some duty to do from my boss. when i already come back, i will have much time to investigate my K6.

sorry for the inconvenience... if i cant try all of your advices as soon as possible.

here what i tried last night:

1. boot in "command prompt only" with: 1 HD(w98) + vga + all memory without other periperal.

then i do scandisk /all /autofix (without surface scan).

scandisk said ok.

then i type "win" to enter windows mode.

the strange thing is, it doesnt froze up anymore. i can play insaniquarium for a while.

2. i turn off, i connect the second hd (xp), boot into w98 command prompt only and perform scandisk (again without surface scan). scandisc said my 2nd hd (xp) error in directory structure and free space count. and scandisk fix them all.

3. i boot into win xp, xp do chkdsk automically to all my hd, in win xp... long time not froze up (maybe 3-4 minutes, usually its freeze before 30 seconds), but then froze up again :(

4. i turn off, disconect 2nd HD (XP), back to no 1 configuration, boot to win98, got error message like "bios checksum error". i reset the comp and it froze up again before 30 seconds in windows. what happen with my bios? cmos battery? i never seen this error before.

5. i want try to lowering clock, now mine is 100x3,5. i check the dip switch voltage, i see its 2,2 volt, but in user manual, got sign "*" in 2,8 volt. "*" = denotes default setting.

my question which one is default voltage for a K6-2 350?

in user manual for AMD, the lowest setting are 300mhz (66 x 4,5 or 100 x 3,5), but i see in Cyrix , intel and IDT section, the lowest is 66x2,5 = 166. so which one i should try? with default or lower voltage ?

@ Mitch074

im not try to boot with knoppix yet, but im sure i will try it.

my mobo isnt all integrated. it doesnt have integrated vga or sound.

but i have another mobo tx pro which have onboard vga and sound, but im not sure this old mobo will work because it more than 7 years i dont use it. i use it when im still using Pentium 100.

yes, maybe my K6 is got too warm so i must try downclock it right? i will....

thx

@caboose-1

i want to check all periperal independently, i mean try them all one by one to another comp, but now its very hard to find comp which are compatible with my rig.

i will try vga, hd with my athlon xp comp. but i wont dare to try my old psu on my atlhon xp...its just generic psu 300 & 380w ....thx

@ Grimmy

yes i should try minimum 6 hours of prime95. i'll find it out wheter my system stable or not. just run and go to sleep, see what happen in the morning :)

@ Anoobis

yupe, i should try my gf4 mx460 with my athlon xp and do surface scan on the HD. thx

@hashv2f16

these problem start before and after i applied contact cleaner. because my friend tell me, his radio/tape can not turn on. then after applied contact cleaner if works again :)

i do applied contact cleaner then dry it in the sun for 0,5 hours in the daylight. OMG i forgot to tell all of you that i forgot to take off the processor + its hsf. so.... maybe the sun burning some of the K6 transistor? because when i touch the hsf its as hot as my athlonxp's hsf in (+-)60c... "dreaded K6 warm up" ?

please tell me max temp for K6-2?

but, before i applied contact cleanner and dry it in the daylight, my comp is already have problem like i said before.

i'll post the result later after i do your advices.

thx for all your help, interest and attention.

Denny

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@ Grimmy

to see if my OC was stable or not, im using Prime95 but just for 1 hour Razz

Well, I know I'm OC a processor that is not the same as yours, but I've done a Prime95 test, and my P4 failed in 2 hours. I could have done the same thing as you and said mine was stable if I did it for only 1 hour, instead of 6. :p

in prime95 - torture test, which one i must select?
small, in-place or blend?

thx

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've been using blend, where it test a bit of everything.

i have test it....for 6 hours

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/sevendp/prime95-tt-low.jpg

for K6 i 've already try, if i set to 100x2,5 = 250mhz
it is no freeze anymore, but now, but my comp can not detect my soundcard.
i have old mobo tx98b, highest fsb only support 66mhz, can i try put my k6 into it? (66x4,5 mhz)

i think its time to buy new one.
i would like to buy asrock 939dual sata2 with an athlon64.

thx a lot
dp

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I didn't try to look up the specs of a tx98b, but I just wanted to let you know that putting a K6-2 into an older mobo may kill your cpu if the mobo cannot supply the correct voltage. The first problem is that it needs to support split voltage cpus (Pentium MMM and K6 are 3.3/2.8 split volt cpus). Then the other cproblem is that it must be able to support giving LESS than 2.8 volts to your k6-2. Running your k6-2 at 2.8 volts is a sure-fire way to end it's life. In a board like that a regular k6 or pentium MMX is the way to go (as long as the board supports the split voltage).

sevendp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I didn't try to look up the specs of a tx98b, but I just wanted to let you know that putting a K6-2 into an older mobo may kill your cpu if the mobo cannot supply the correct voltage. The first problem is that it needs to support split voltage cpus (Pentium MMM and K6 are 3.3/2.8 split volt cpus). Then the other cproblem is that it must be able to support giving LESS than 2.8 volts to your k6-2. Running your k6-2 at 2.8 volts is a sure-fire way to end it's life. In a board like that a regular k6 or pentium MMX is the way to go (as long as the board supports the split voltage).

i see....
in 1999, before i bought this k6-2, i ever bought a k6-2 that doesnt work in my DFI mobo, using 100x3,5, then i know from my friend that my k6-2 doesnt support fsb 100 instead of 66mhz, it works on 66mhz x 4,5 = 300mhz in my tx98b, but i rma it, and get this k6-2 (support fsb 100 mhz)

can u tell me how the 2 different k-6 cpu, one can running in my tx98, and the other can not? thx for the info about split volts cpu, i dont know about it before.
if i change the dip switch voltage to 2,8v then put the k6-2 into it, will it work?
can a k6-2 100mhz cpu running at 66mhz?

thank you :)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Putting a K6-2 into a board that can only supply 2.8 volts will just be massively overvolting the cpu. Most K6-2s operate at 2.4 volts or less. Running them at 2.8 volts will make the chip run hotter, among other things. The MMX and the K6, not K6-2, run at 2.8 volts. Non-MMX pentiums and K5 cpu's all operate at 3.3 volts (no split voltage).

If your tx98b could operate a K6-2 cpu before, then it at least has to be split volt capable. I say try installing your cpu in it and see if it works. :wink: If the board has dip switches or jumpers to set the cpu voltage, just set it to what is recommended on the top of the K6-2.