Desktop Icons

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002

Greetings,

In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop icons
text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
someone recall how that is do?

Thanks

Larry S

I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
DeskTop.exe,
http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
(15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
folder.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop icons
>text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
>someone recall how that is do?
>
>Thanks
>
>Larry S

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002

Thank you -I will try it.

Larry S

"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
> DeskTop.exe,
> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
> (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
> folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
> folder.
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop
>>icons
>>text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
>>someone recall how that is do?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Larry S

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002

Doesn't seem to work -- either from the Start menu, or by directly selecting
it.

I will keep searching for a fix.

Thanks for the reference.

Larry S

"LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote in message
> Thank you -I will try it.
>
> Larry S
>

> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
>> DeskTop.exe,
>> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
>> (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
>> folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
>> folder.
>> --
>> Mikhail Zhilin
>> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>> ======
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop
>>>icons
>>>text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
>>>someone recall how that is do?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Larry S

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002

Actually, it does work -- after a fashion. Some application window needs to
'cover' the icon first, then when it reappears, it has changed.

Thanks again

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:12:29 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

>Doesn't seem to work -- either from the Start menu, or by directly selecting it.

Make sure you have no Active Desktop enabled (Display Properties -- WEB
tab): in this case nothing works.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
>> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>>>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
>>> DeskTop.exe,
>>> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
<...>

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:58:37 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

>Actually, it does work -- after a fashion. Some application window needs to
>'cover' the icon first, then when it reappears, it has changed.
>
>Thanks again

Hmm, never saw this behavior... Seems like your Desktop does not refresh
itself after applying this program -- as it has to be. Try to press F5
then -- after run DeskTop.exe and selecting any place of Desktop by
mouse.

BTW, you can change the default icons text color at the same time: read
short and useful DeskTop.rtf, that is in the archive.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
<...>

>> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>>>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
>>> DeskTop.exe,
>>> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
>>> (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
>>> folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
>>> folder.
<..>

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002

Active Desktop is not enabled.
However, I discovered another utility, Disappear (disappr.zip from several
sites), which does what I want at start up and seems not to require
refreshing. A VB DLL is also required, also available from several sites.

Cheers