Desktop Icons

Greetings,

In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop icons
text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
someone recall how that is do?

Thanks

Larry S
7 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons

    I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
    DeskTop.exe,
    http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
    (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
    folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
    folder.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop icons
    >text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
    >someone recall how that is do?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Larry S

    Thank you -I will try it.

    Larry S

    "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
    > DeskTop.exe,
    > http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
    > (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
    > folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
    > folder.
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop
    >>icons
    >>text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
    >>someone recall how that is do?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Larry S

    Doesn't seem to work -- either from the Start menu, or by directly selecting
    it.

    I will keep searching for a fix.

    Thanks for the reference.

    Larry S

    "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote in message
    > Thank you -I will try it.
    >
    > Larry S
    >

    > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
    >> DeskTop.exe,
    >> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
    >> (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
    >> folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
    >> folder.
    >> --
    >> Mikhail Zhilin
    >> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    >> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    >> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    >> ======
    >> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:23:07 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Greetings,
    >>>
    >>>In the dim past I remember that there was a way of making the desktop
    >>>icons
    >>>text background transparent, so the desktop image was not blocked. Can
    >>>someone recall how that is do?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Larry S

    Actually, it does work -- after a fashion. Some application window needs to
    'cover' the icon first, then when it reappears, it has changed.

    Thanks again

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:12:29 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

    >Doesn't seem to work -- either from the Start menu, or by directly selecting it.

    Make sure you have no Active Desktop enabled (Display Properties -- WEB
    tab): in this case nothing works.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======
    >> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >>>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
    >>> DeskTop.exe,
    >>> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
    <...>

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:58:37 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:

    >Actually, it does work -- after a fashion. Some application window needs to
    >'cover' the icon first, then when it reappears, it has changed.
    >
    >Thanks again

    Hmm, never saw this behavior... Seems like your Desktop does not refresh
    itself after applying this program -- as it has to be. Try to press F5
    then -- after run DeskTop.exe and selecting any place of Desktop by
    mouse.

    BTW, you can change the default icons text color at the same time: read
    short and useful DeskTop.rtf, that is in the archive.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======
    <...>

    >> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >>>I did try many of them -- but best of all I liked an old, old
    >>> DeskTop.exe,
    >>> http://home.flash.net/~qsystems/trnsprnt.zip
    >>> (15KB ZIP archive). Unpack it to, say, "c:\Program Files\Transparent"
    >>> folder, and place a shortcut to unpacked DeskTop.exe into Startup
    >>> folder.
    <..>

    Active Desktop is not enabled.
    However, I discovered another utility, Disappear (disappr.zip from several
    sites), which does what I want at start up and seems not to require
    refreshing. A VB DLL is also required, also available from several sites.

    Cheers

    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:58:37 -0000, "LarryS" <raglan@orange.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, it does work -- after a fashion. Some application window needs
    >>'cover' the icon first, then when it reappears, it has changed.
    >>
    >>Thanks again
    >
    > Hmm, never saw this behavior... Seems like your Desktop does not refresh
    > itself after applying this program -- as it has to be. Try to press F5
    > then -- after run DeskTop.exe and selecting any place of Desktop by
    > mouse.
    >
    > BTW, you can change the default icons text color at the same time: read
    > short and useful DeskTop.rtf, that is in the archive.
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > <...>
    >
    >>> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > <..>

Desktops Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows