FS2004 and New Nvidia Card Problem

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 13, 2005 12:55:00 AM

Decided to enhance my machine primarily for better frame rates in Flight
Sim.

Bought a Nvida 7800 GTX!

I have a couple of maybe related problems.
If I run FS2004 in full screen mode, when choosing an aircraft, I don't see
the rotating plane in the rectanglulare box below the
airport/time/weather etc. option. It's just black.
Now if I run it in windowed mode, all if fine until I start using ATC. When
the ATC window pops up with a message,
the screen tends to split. It's difficult to explain but I'll try. Above
the ATC window, the display stays static. Below it,
the display moves as normal. So if I'm turning, only half the screen is
updarting. It rectifies itself after a few seconds or if I kill the ATC
window.
With a similar setup using a Ati 9800 - no problems. I expect this is a
driver problem with the new card. Has anyone else seen this?
Has anyone with a 6800 seen this which I guess is vrtually the same card?

Any fixes?

pete
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:19:48 AM

Did you uninstall the drivers for the ati before you installed the nVidia?
Not doing so could cause problems. For some reason switching from nvidia to
ati or vice versa can cause graphics problems - even if you do uninstall the
drivers for the old card before powering down and doing the replacement.
Many people find that the best solution is to do a complete reinstall of the
OS.
Other than that make sure that your power supply can handle the requirements
of your new card. Some of the newer cards require a good deal of power.
Couple that with a Prescott or an Athlon FX and a couple hard drives,
optical drives and a gig or two of ram and several case fans and you could
be burdening your power supply which can lead to stability problems.
July 13, 2005 12:42:47 PM

I'm with you on that one, Dakota650r.

Pete, If you've previously had an ATI card in there it's not as simple as
uninstalling the old drivers. You need to run ATI's driver removal utility.
It's available on their web site:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=...

And yes, the PSU will need to be man enough to handle the extra power
requirements of your new card.

Do us a favour and tells us how you get on? It would also be good to know
what spec your system is so people get an idea of performance camparisons.

Andy.

"Dakota650r" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o L%Ae.7009$rX7.6392@fe06.lga...
> Did you uninstall the drivers for the ati before you installed the nVidia?
> Not doing so could cause problems. For some reason switching from nvidia
> to ati or vice versa can cause graphics problems - even if you do
> uninstall the drivers for the old card before powering down and doing the
> replacement. Many people find that the best solution is to do a complete
> reinstall of the OS.
> Other than that make sure that your power supply can handle the
> requirements of your new card. Some of the newer cards require a good
> deal of power. Couple that with a Prescott or an Athlon FX and a couple
> hard drives, optical drives and a gig or two of ram and several case fans
> and you could be burdening your power supply which can lead to stability
> problems.

Related resources
July 13, 2005 4:18:49 PM

In article <42d4c5f8$0$6469$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
Andy <andy.cippico@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm with you on that one, Dakota650r.
>
>Pete, If you've previously had an ATI card in there it's not as simple as
>uninstalling the old drivers. You need to run ATI's driver removal utility.
>
>And yes, the PSU will need to be man enough to handle the extra power
>requirements of your new card.

Thanks for the replies. I was definitely a little lax with my wording.
By upgrade I meant it's a completely new machine! But I'm 99.9% certain it is
a GFX problem.

So there were never any ATI drivers on the new machine.
I'm hoping my PSU is ok cos it's is designed to support 2 GFX cards in SLI
mode. Its a cheeky wee 600W number by Enermax. I think that should do
the job ;-)

More ideas anyone? I noticed a few more graphic glitches last night which
follow the same line of tearing the screen. May need to get a screenshot.

>Do us a favour and tells us how you get on? It would also be good to know
>what spec your system is so people get an idea of performance camparisons.

AMD XP 3800+
MSI Blah SLI Mobo (K8NXP or something)
Gigabyte 7800 GTX 256MB RAM
1GB OCZ PC3200 low latency Memory (2-3-2-6)
Enermax 600W SLI Noisetaker PSU

My original machine was a P4 2.53GHz, 1GB ram with a 9800 Pro.
The settings on the original machine were high detail, medium distance
with no Antialiasing. New machine has all maxed out with AA. I would say the
frame rates show a 3 fold increase. The thing that really killed
caused the frame rates to drop was 100% AI traffic generated by Ultimate
Traffic.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:05:19 PM

Last night I installed the latest Nvidia drivers 77.72 (june22) from 66.93
and noticed similar problems including system crashes.
So far changing AA in the Nvidia control panel from 8xS to 4x in my FS9
profile appears to have solved the problem. I don't know what issues will
pop up with other applications but if they do will roll back to the 66.93
drivers.

BTW - 6800GT and never had any issues prior to installing these drivers.

GB

!