kb137454 _ fixing vnetsup.vxd,vredir.vxd,dfs.vxd,vfs.vxd,

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 25, 2005 9:57:03 AM

Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote

5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
prompted to restart your computer, do so.
6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
unquote

ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
Adapter" (which is unlikely).
Care to verify this, thanks
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:26:16 AM

Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to remove.
Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you need.
For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:

Adapter = Dial-up Networking
Client = Microsoft Family Logon
Protocol TCP/IP

If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
other components.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
quote

> 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
> prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> unquote
>
> ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
> Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
> Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> Care to verify this, thanks

February 25, 2005 3:37:01 PM

Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the gadget
does not help. Will try again later.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to remove.
> Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you need.
> For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
>
> Adapter = Dial-up Networking
> Client = Microsoft Family Logon
> Protocol TCP/IP
>
> If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
> other components.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
> quote
> >
> > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
> > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> > unquote
> >
> > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
> > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
> > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> > Care to verify this, thanks

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:08:44 PM

Did you try the Registry editing procedure?

--

> Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the
gadget
> does not help. Will try again later.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to
remove.
> > Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you
need.
> > For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
> >
> > Adapter = Dial-up Networking
> > Client = Microsoft Family Logon
> > Protocol TCP/IP
> >
> > If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
> > other components.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
> > quote
> > >
> > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you
are
> > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do
so.
> > > unquote
> > >
> > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for
Microsoft
> > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial
Up
> > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> > > Care to verify this, thanks

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:12:06 PM

There is also this article:
Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166832

It's aimed at the same thing, just goes about fixing it differently.
Seems more thorough to me.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the
gadget
> does not help. Will try again later.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to
remove.
> > Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you
need.
> > For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
> >
> > Adapter = Dial-up Networking
> > Client = Microsoft Family Logon
> > Protocol TCP/IP
> >
> > If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
> > other components.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
> > quote
> > >
> > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you
are
> > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do
so.
> > > unquote
> > >
> > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for
Microsoft
> > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial
Up
> > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> > > Care to verify this, thanks

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:05:35 AM

Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132008

Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q166832

�Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library� Error Message When You Install
Drivers or Utilities
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302590

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote
>
> 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
> prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
> unquote
>
> ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
> Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
> Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> Care to verify this, thanks

February 26, 2005 2:45:02 AM

Gray & Brian

Many thanks for the responses. No, I have not taken the registry route
earlier as I was concerned about "a wrong" move, see what I mean. Just backup
the registry and cannot find the folder "sysbckup" in c:\windows. It was
backup as it asked whether I want to backup since it had been backup for the
day and I click "yes'.
I am sure "sysbckup" is somewhere there,"show hidden files".
Guess I will take a break here and be back to try all the Kb's.Thanks

> Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132008
>
> Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q166832
>
> �Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library� Error Message When You Install
> Drivers or Utilities
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302590
>

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote
> >
> > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
> > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
> > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
> > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
> > unquote
> >
> > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
> > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
> > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
> > Care to verify this, thanks

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:55:40 AM

"Show Hidden Files", in Folder Options, View tab, is indeed the answer
to finding the WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP folder. (And, besides backing up the
Registry, make sure you know how to restore a backup. Practice it,
even.)

I wish you well in finally hitting upon the solution. But don't be *too*
afraid of the Registry. With standard precautions, it's really rather
fascinating, <s>.

--

!