kb137454 _ fixing vnetsup.vxd,vredir.vxd,dfs.vxd,vfs.vxd,

Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote

5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
prompted to restart your computer, do so.
6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
unquote

ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
Adapter" (which is unlikely).
Care to verify this, thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about kb137454 _ fixing vnetsup vredir

    Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to remove.
    Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you need.
    For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:

    Adapter = Dial-up Networking
    Client = Microsoft Family Logon
    Protocol TCP/IP

    If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
    other components.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
    quote

    > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
    > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > unquote
    >
    > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
    > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
    > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > Care to verify this, thanks

    Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the gadget
    does not help. Will try again later.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to remove.
    > Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you need.
    > For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
    >
    > Adapter = Dial-up Networking
    > Client = Microsoft Family Logon
    > Protocol TCP/IP
    >
    > If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
    > other components.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
    > quote
    > >
    > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
    > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > unquote
    > >
    > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
    > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
    > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > > Care to verify this, thanks

    Did you try the Registry editing procedure?

    --

    > Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the
    gadget
    > does not help. Will try again later.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to
    remove.
    > > Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you
    need.
    > > For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
    > >
    > > Adapter = Dial-up Networking
    > > Client = Microsoft Family Logon
    > > Protocol TCP/IP
    > >
    > > If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
    > > other components.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
    > > quote
    > > >
    > > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you
    are
    > > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do
    so.
    > > > unquote
    > > >
    > > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for
    Microsoft
    > > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial
    Up
    > > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > > > Care to verify this, thanks

    There is also this article:
    Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166832

    It's aimed at the same thing, just goes about fixing it differently.
    Seems more thorough to me.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks and follow the KB but cant get rid of the error. Reintall the
    gadget
    > does not help. Will try again later.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Dial-Up Networking is an Adapter. That's the one it's saying to
    remove.
    > > Myself, I'd remove everything, then go back and reinstall what you
    need.
    > > For Dial-up purposes, the things you'd need to add back in are:
    > >
    > > Adapter = Dial-up Networking
    > > Client = Microsoft Family Logon
    > > Protocol TCP/IP
    > >
    > > If you have another networking components to deal with, they require
    > > other components.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
    > > quote
    > > >
    > > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you
    are
    > > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do
    so.
    > > > unquote
    > > >
    > > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for
    Microsoft
    > > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial
    Up
    > > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > > > Care to verify this, thanks

    Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132008

    Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q166832

    �Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library� Error Message When You Install
    Drivers or Utilities
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302590

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote
    >
    > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
    > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
    > unquote
    >
    > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
    > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
    > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > Care to verify this, thanks

    Gray & Brian

    Many thanks for the responses. No, I have not taken the registry route
    earlier as I was concerned about "a wrong" move, see what I mean. Just backup
    the registry and cannot find the folder "sysbckup" in c:\windows. It was
    backup as it asked whether I want to backup since it had been backup for the
    day and I click "yes'.
    I am sure "sysbckup" is somewhere there,"show hidden files".
    Guess I will take a break here and be back to try all the Kb's.Thanks

    > Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132008
    >
    > Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q166832
    >
    > �Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library� Error Message When You Install
    > Drivers or Utilities
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302590
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8, quote
    > >
    > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are
    > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. ...
    > > unquote
    > >
    > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for Microsoft
    > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial Up
    > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > > Care to verify this, thanks

    "Show Hidden Files", in Folder Options, View tab, is indeed the answer
    to finding the WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP folder. (And, besides backing up the
    Registry, make sure you know how to restore a backup. Practice it,
    even.)

    I wish you well in finally hitting upon the solution. But don't be *too*
    afraid of the Registry. With standard precautions, it's really rather
    fascinating, <s>.

    --

    > Gray & Brian
    >
    > Many thanks for the responses. No, I have not taken the registry route
    > earlier as I was concerned about "a wrong" move, see what I mean. Just
    backup
    > the registry and cannot find the folder "sysbckup" in c:\windows. It
    was
    > backup as it asked whether I want to backup since it had been backup
    for the
    > day and I click "yes'.
    > I am sure "sysbckup" is somewhere there,"show hidden files".
    > Guess I will take a break here and be back to try all the Kb's.Thanks
    >
    > > Error Message: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run
    Windows
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132008
    > >
    > > Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q166832
    > >
    > > �Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library� Error Message When You
    Install
    > > Drivers or Utilities
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q302590
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Brian A.
    > >
    > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Trying to fix the above errors. With ref to kb137454, line 5-8,
    quote

    > > > 5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you
    are
    > > > prompted to restart your computer, do so.
    > > > 6. In Control Panel, double-click Network.
    > > > 7. Click the network adapter, and then click Remove.
    > > > 8. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do
    so. ...
    > > > unquote
    > > >
    > > > ON line 7 "Network adapter" do it refers to "CLIENT for
    Microsoft
    > > > Networks" as I cannot find any other item besides that and "Dial
    Up
    > > > Adapter" (which is unlikely).
    > > > Care to verify this, thanks

Control Panel Computers Microsoft Windows