Can't find Tshoot98.chm on Windows CD!!

Hi all:

Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)

Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.

So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.

TIA.

Tom Young
16 answers Last reply
More about find tshoot98 windows

    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I *did* extract "Tshoot.ocx",
    thinking that it was somehow manipulated into the missing
    "Tshoot98.chm", but "Tshoot98.chm" is still reported as missing.

    Tom Young

    "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
    > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >
    > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
    > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
    > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
    > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
    > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
    > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
    > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >
    > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
    > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Tom Young

    I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

    See my reply to your original post, copied here:

    Extract it from the Windows CD to the C:\Windows\Help folder, using the "Extract one
    file" option of System File Checker (SFC). It IS on the CD, but it is inside one of
    the .cab files, which are like .zip files.

    Using SFC to extract a file:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
    > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >
    > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
    > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
    > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
    > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
    > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
    > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
    > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >
    > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
    > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Tom Young

    Nevermind....I see now that you tried but you have Win98FE, so it is not there.
    Lemme see if I can find the cure for 98FE when I get off work in a few hours, if no
    one pops up with it first.
    --

    > See my reply to your original post, copied here:
    >
    > Extract it from the Windows CD to the C:\Windows\Help folder, using the "Extract
    one
    > file" option of System File Checker (SFC). It IS on the CD, but it is inside one
    of
    > the .cab files, which are like .zip files.
    >
    > Using SFC to extract a file:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp
    >
    > HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all:
    > >
    > > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    > > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    > > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    > > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
    > > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    > >
    > > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    > > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
    > > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
    > > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
    > > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
    > > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
    > > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
    > > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    > >
    > > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
    > > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > >
    > > Tom Young

    Since I have a Windows SE disk, any chance that I chould just copy
    *all* the Tshoot*.* files off that over to the C:\Windows\Help
    directory on the laptop? I'm assuming the error message I received
    when I copied just Tshoot98.chm over to the laptop pertains to
    differences between the FE and SE versions of Tshoot.ocx.

    Tom Young

    Most likely that is what you may have to do. What is the exact error message you
    got?

    I know a year or two ago, a former MVP here sent the 98SE files to someone with
    98FE, and it worked fine.
    --

    > Since I have a Windows SE disk, any chance that I chould just copy
    > *all* the Tshoot*.* files off that over to the C:\Windows\Help
    > directory on the laptop? I'm assuming the error message I received
    > when I copied just Tshoot98.chm over to the laptop pertains to
    > differences between the FE and SE versions of Tshoot.ocx.
    >
    > Tom Young

    What was the workaround you tried that was suggested?

    If it was dl'ding/using Bindars Tshoot_98_fix then try the recommended fix
    of reinstalling tshoot.inf.

    It is my belief that yet another CU disabled the tshoot wizards again and I
    have found that the above regains functionality of the app mentioned above.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
    > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >
    > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
    > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
    > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
    > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
    > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
    > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
    > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >
    > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
    > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Tom Young

    Apparently he is missing tshoot98.chm, and it is not included in the .cab files for
    Win98FE. A year or so ago, Bindar emailed Gunilla the required files and AFAIK that
    fixed the missing file problem....but I dunno exactly what file or files he sent
    her, i.e., if the whole tshoot98 group of files had to be used to prevent a file
    version mismatch error.
    --

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > What was the workaround you tried that was suggested?
    >
    > If it was dl'ding/using Bindars Tshoot_98_fix then try the recommended fix
    > of reinstalling tshoot.inf.
    >
    > It is my belief that yet another CU disabled the tshoot wizards again and I
    > have found that the above regains functionality of the app mentioned above.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all:
    > >
    > > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    > > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    > > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    > > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
    > > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    > >
    > > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    > > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
    > > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
    > > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
    > > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
    > > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
    > > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
    > > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    > >
    > > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
    > > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > >
    > > Tom Young

    Select <Find>, then:

    Named: *.cab
    Containing text: tshoot98.chm
    Look In: (Your CD drive)
    For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB

    Haggis wrote:
    > "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all:
    >>
    >> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    >> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    >> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    >> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
    >> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >>
    >> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    >> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
    >> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
    >> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
    >> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
    >> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
    >> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
    >> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >>
    >> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
    >> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Tom Young
    >>

    > I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

    Whoops, looks like you have a different problem than what I reponded to.
    Well, at least if the file has a different name that Find sequence should be
    able to locate it.

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Select <Find>, then:
    >
    > Named: *.cab
    > Containing text: tshoot98.chm
    > Look In: (Your CD drive)
    > For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
    >

    > Haggis wrote:
    >> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all:
    >>>
    >>> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    >>> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    >>> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    >>> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
    >>> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    >>> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
    >>> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
    >>> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
    >>> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
    >>> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
    >>> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
    >>> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >>>
    >>> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
    >>> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Tom Young
    >>>

    >> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

    If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I come up
    with these three files on my 98SE disc:
    tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
    tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
    tshoot.ocx (69.cab)

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Select <Find>, then:
    >
    > Named: *.cab
    > Containing text: tshoot98.chm
    > Look In: (Your CD drive)
    > For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
    >

    > Haggis wrote:
    >> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all:
    >>>
    >>> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
    >>> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
    >>> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
    >>> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
    >>> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
    >>> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
    >>> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
    >>> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
    >>> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
    >>> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
    >>> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
    >>> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
    >>>
    >>> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
    >>> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Tom Young
    >>>

    >> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

    Well, I'm mystified.

    I extracted "Tshoot98.chm" from my Win98SE CD onto the laptop (instead
    of copying it over from the hard drive of the Win98SE machine like I
    did last time) and when I launched "Tshoot.exe" I *didn't* get any
    error message. However, the behaviour of the troubleshooters was
    exactly the same as it was before, i.e., no second page of any
    troubleshooter was displayed.

    I then extracted "Tshoot.inf" and "Tshoot.ocx" from the CD onto the
    laptop. No change, again, when launching "Tshoot.exe": no error
    message, no second page of troubleshooter.

    Finally, I tried Start > Help > Troubleshooting > Windows 98
    Troubleshooters and everything's fine. All the troubleshooters come up
    and all pages of the troublshooters are displayed. Something's been
    fixed, but I don't know what.

    I just realized that the Win98SE machine's "Troubleshooters" are also
    screwed up; maybe the error message I got when I first copied over that
    machine's "Tshoot98.chm" to the laptop has something to do with that.

    (As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
    Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
    place!)

    Thanks for all the help.

    Tom Young

    These files should still be present.09FE
    The update leaves them in place.

    C:\WINDOWS\INF\TSHOOT.INF
    C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSHOOT.OCX
    C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSHOOT.CSS
    C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSCTL.HTM
    Q240797 - How to Stop an ActiveX Control from Running in Internet
    Explorer
    kb 824145 - This update also sets the kill bit on the following ActiveX
    control:
    File Name: Tshoot.ocx
    CLSID: 4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF

    I removed the killbit - ran the .inf to reregister. Ran the TS's, then
    restored the killbit (Nov.2003)
    I have not tried it since because there have been additional "Help" updates.
    More comprehensive help can be found on the web- most of the troubleshooters
    just lead to reinstalling or updating drivers. I just did that to see if I
    had missed anything.
    --
    mae

    | Well, I'm mystified.
    |
    | I extracted "Tshoot98.chm" from my Win98SE CD onto the laptop (instead
    | of copying it over from the hard drive of the Win98SE machine like I
    | did last time) and when I launched "Tshoot.exe" I *didn't* get any
    | error message. However, the behaviour of the troubleshooters was
    | exactly the same as it was before, i.e., no second page of any
    | troubleshooter was displayed.
    |
    | I then extracted "Tshoot.inf" and "Tshoot.ocx" from the CD onto the
    | laptop. No change, again, when launching "Tshoot.exe": no error
    | message, no second page of troubleshooter.
    |
    | Finally, I tried Start > Help > Troubleshooting > Windows 98
    | Troubleshooters and everything's fine. All the troubleshooters come up
    | and all pages of the troublshooters are displayed. Something's been
    | fixed, but I don't know what.
    |
    | I just realized that the Win98SE machine's "Troubleshooters" are also
    | screwed up; maybe the error message I got when I first copied over that
    | machine's "Tshoot98.chm" to the laptop has something to do with that.
    |
    | (As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
    | Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
    | place!)
    |
    | Thanks for all the help.
    |
    | Tom Young

    Roger,

    The OP has Win98 FE, not Win98 SE and tshoot98.chm does not exist in
    Win98 FE.
    The "tshoot" files in that CD are:
    Tshoot.css (Win98_51.cab)
    Tshoot.inf (Precopy2.cab)
    Tshoot.ocx (Win98_63.cab)

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Roger Fink"
    <fink@*****.net> wrote:

    >If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I come up
    >with these three files on my 98SE disc:
    >tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
    >tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
    >tshoot.ocx (69.cab)
    >
    >Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Select <Find>, then:
    >>
    >> Named: *.cab
    >> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
    >> Look In: (Your CD drive)
    >> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
    >>

    >> Haggis wrote:
    >>> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

    Yes, I understand that. What I was getting at, but admittedly not very
    cogently, was that if he did a file search using only the term "tshoot",
    using the right search methodology, he might be able to find some version of
    the file he needs (even though no one as yet knows what it is, I think), and
    it would be useful in solving the problem, unless no solution for 98FE has
    been devised yet. I'm a little revved up over this one because I just went
    through it myself a few weeks ago.

    Alan Edwards wrote:
    > Roger,
    >
    > The OP has Win98 FE, not Win98 SE and tshoot98.chm does not exist in
    > Win98 FE.
    > The "tshoot" files in that CD are:
    > Tshoot.css (Win98_51.cab)
    > Tshoot.inf (Precopy2.cab)
    > Tshoot.ocx (Win98_63.cab)
    >
    > ...Alan
    >

    >> If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I
    >> come up with these three files on my 98SE disc:
    >> tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
    >> tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
    >> tshoot.ocx (69.cab)
    >>
    >> Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> Select <Find>, then:
    >>>
    >>> Named: *.cab
    >>> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
    >>> Look In: (Your CD drive)
    >>> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB

    "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > (As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
    > Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
    > place!)

    ROFL!! I've been thinking the same thing ever since you stared this
    thread.
    A burning need to not let the system win, perhaps? (Pardon the pun.)

    ;-)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User