Can't find Tshoot98.chm on Windows CD!!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 25, 2005 12:29:31 PM

Hi all:

Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)

Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.

So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.

TIA.

Tom Young
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:03:48 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I *did* extract "Tshoot.ocx",
thinking that it was somehow manipulated into the missing
"Tshoot98.chm", but "Tshoot98.chm" is still reported as missing.

Tom Young
February 25, 2005 5:21:28 PM

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
> find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>
> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
> Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
> SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
> of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
> copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
> just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
> Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>
> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
> Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"
February 25, 2005 6:13:46 PM

See my reply to your original post, copied here:

Extract it from the Windows CD to the C:\Windows\Help folder, using the "Extract one
file" option of System File Checker (SFC). It IS on the CD, but it is inside one of
the .cab files, which are like .zip files.

Using SFC to extract a file:
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
> find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>
> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
> Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
> SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
> of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
> copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
> just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
> Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>
> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
> Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:18:59 PM

Nevermind....I see now that you tried but you have Win98FE, so it is not there.
Lemme see if I can find the cure for 98FE when I get off work in a few hours, if no
one pops up with it first.
--

news:o NhhWa3GFHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> See my reply to your original post, copied here:
>
> Extract it from the Windows CD to the C:\Windows\Help folder, using the "Extract
one
> file" option of System File Checker (SFC). It IS on the CD, but it is inside one
of
> the .cab files, which are like .zip files.
>
> Using SFC to extract a file:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp
>
> HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all:
> >
> > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
> > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
> > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
> > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
> > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
> >
> > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
> > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
> > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
> > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
> > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
> > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
> > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
> > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
> >
> > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
> > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Tom Young

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:20:46 PM

Since I have a Windows SE disk, any chance that I chould just copy
*all* the Tshoot*.* files off that over to the C:\Windows\Help
directory on the laptop? I'm assuming the error message I received
when I copied just Tshoot98.chm over to the laptop pertains to
differences between the FE and SE versions of Tshoot.ocx.

Tom Young
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:11:18 AM

Most likely that is what you may have to do. What is the exact error message you
got?

I know a year or two ago, a former MVP here sent the 98SE files to someone with
98FE, and it worked fine.
--

> Since I have a Windows SE disk, any chance that I chould just copy
> *all* the Tshoot*.* files off that over to the C:\Windows\Help
> directory on the laptop? I'm assuming the error message I received
> when I copied just Tshoot98.chm over to the laptop pertains to
> differences between the FE and SE versions of Tshoot.ocx.
>
> Tom Young

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:02:59 AM

What was the workaround you tried that was suggested?

If it was dl'ding/using Bindars Tshoot_98_fix then try the recommended fix
of reinstalling tshoot.inf.

It is my belief that yet another CU disabled the tshoot wizards again and I
have found that the above regains functionality of the app mentioned above.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
> find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>
> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
> Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
> SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
> of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
> copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
> just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
> Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>
> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
> Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:15:07 AM

Apparently he is missing tshoot98.chm, and it is not included in the .cab files for
Win98FE. A year or so ago, Bindar emailed Gunilla the required files and AFAIK that
fixed the missing file problem....but I dunno exactly what file or files he sent
her, i.e., if the whole tshoot98 group of files had to be used to prevent a file
version mismatch error.
--

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> What was the workaround you tried that was suggested?
>
> If it was dl'ding/using Bindars Tshoot_98_fix then try the recommended fix
> of reinstalling tshoot.inf.
>
> It is my belief that yet another CU disabled the tshoot wizards again and I
> have found that the above regains functionality of the app mentioned above.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all:
> >
> > Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
> > weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
> > indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
> > Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I can
> > find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
> >
> > Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
> > only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in the
> > Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the CD but
> > SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked through most
> > of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it either. I tried
> > copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the laptop but that
> > just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98 and Win98SE
> > Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
> >
> > So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using a
> > Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Tom Young

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:11:22 AM

Select <Find>, then:

Named: *.cab
Containing text: tshoot98.chm
Look In: (Your CD drive)
For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB

Haggis wrote:
> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
>> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
>> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
>> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
>> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>>
>> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
>> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
>> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
>> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
>> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
>> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
>> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
>> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>>
>> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
>> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Tom Young
>>

> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:23:23 AM

Whoops, looks like you have a different problem than what I reponded to.
Well, at least if the file has a different name that Find sequence should be
able to locate it.

Roger Fink wrote:
> Select <Find>, then:
>
> Named: *.cab
> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
> Look In: (Your CD drive)
> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
>

> Haggis wrote:
>> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
>>> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
>>> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
>>> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
>>> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>>>
>>> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
>>> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
>>> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
>>> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
>>> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
>>> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
>>> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
>>> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>>>
>>> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
>>> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Tom Young
>>>

>> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:57:43 AM

If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I come up
with these three files on my 98SE disc:
tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
tshoot.ocx (69.cab)

Roger Fink wrote:
> Select <Find>, then:
>
> Named: *.cab
> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
> Look In: (Your CD drive)
> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
>

> Haggis wrote:
>> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> Recently posted a question about why the Windows Troubleshooters
>>> weren't working properly on my laptop. The replies to that question
>>> indicated that the Troublshooters were killed by Microsoft via a
>>> Windows 98 upgrade. (Though, there's no mention of this problem I
>>> can find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
>>>
>>> Anyway, a "workaround" to the problem was suggested, which I tried,
>>> only to get an error message that Tshoot98.chm wasn't installed in
>>> the Windows\Help directory. Tried restoring Tshoot98.chm from the
>>> CD but SFC said it couldn't find it. I've even manually looked
>>> through most of the Win98 cab files on the CD and can't find it
>>> either. I tried copying the file over from a Win98SE machine to the
>>> laptop but that just resulted in another error; I guess the Win98
>>> and Win98SE Tshoot98.chm files aren't the same.
>>>
>>> So, where the heck do I get the Tshoot98.chm file I need? I'm using
>>> a Windows 98 Upgrade CD, if that's of any importance.
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Tom Young
>>>

>> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:26:54 AM

Well, I'm mystified.

I extracted "Tshoot98.chm" from my Win98SE CD onto the laptop (instead
of copying it over from the hard drive of the Win98SE machine like I
did last time) and when I launched "Tshoot.exe" I *didn't* get any
error message. However, the behaviour of the troubleshooters was
exactly the same as it was before, i.e., no second page of any
troubleshooter was displayed.

I then extracted "Tshoot.inf" and "Tshoot.ocx" from the CD onto the
laptop. No change, again, when launching "Tshoot.exe": no error
message, no second page of troubleshooter.

Finally, I tried Start > Help > Troubleshooting > Windows 98
Troubleshooters and everything's fine. All the troubleshooters come up
and all pages of the troublshooters are displayed. Something's been
fixed, but I don't know what.

I just realized that the Win98SE machine's "Troubleshooters" are also
screwed up; maybe the error message I got when I first copied over that
machine's "Tshoot98.chm" to the laptop has something to do with that.

(As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
place!)

Thanks for all the help.

Tom Young
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:35:14 AM

These files should still be present.09FE
The update leaves them in place.

C:\WINDOWS\INF\TSHOOT.INF
C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSHOOT.OCX
C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSHOOT.CSS
C:\WINDOWS\HELP\TSCTL.HTM
Q240797 - How to Stop an ActiveX Control from Running in Internet
Explorer
kb 824145 - This update also sets the kill bit on the following ActiveX
control:
File Name: Tshoot.ocx
CLSID: 4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF

I removed the killbit - ran the .inf to reregister. Ran the TS's, then
restored the killbit (Nov.2003)
I have not tried it since because there have been additional "Help" updates.
More comprehensive help can be found on the web- most of the troubleshooters
just lead to reinstalling or updating drivers. I just did that to see if I
had missed anything.
--
mae

| Well, I'm mystified.
|
| I extracted "Tshoot98.chm" from my Win98SE CD onto the laptop (instead
| of copying it over from the hard drive of the Win98SE machine like I
| did last time) and when I launched "Tshoot.exe" I *didn't* get any
| error message. However, the behaviour of the troubleshooters was
| exactly the same as it was before, i.e., no second page of any
| troubleshooter was displayed.
|
| I then extracted "Tshoot.inf" and "Tshoot.ocx" from the CD onto the
| laptop. No change, again, when launching "Tshoot.exe": no error
| message, no second page of troubleshooter.
|
| Finally, I tried Start > Help > Troubleshooting > Windows 98
| Troubleshooters and everything's fine. All the troubleshooters come up
| and all pages of the troublshooters are displayed. Something's been
| fixed, but I don't know what.
|
| I just realized that the Win98SE machine's "Troubleshooters" are also
| screwed up; maybe the error message I got when I first copied over that
| machine's "Tshoot98.chm" to the laptop has something to do with that.
|
| (As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
| Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
| place!)
|
| Thanks for all the help.
|
| Tom Young

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:21:04 PM

Roger,

The OP has Win98 FE, not Win98 SE and tshoot98.chm does not exist in
Win98 FE.
The "tshoot" files in that CD are:
Tshoot.css (Win98_51.cab)
Tshoot.inf (Precopy2.cab)
Tshoot.ocx (Win98_63.cab)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Roger Fink"
<fink@*****.net> wrote:

>If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I come up
>with these three files on my 98SE disc:
>tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
>tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
>tshoot.ocx (69.cab)
>
>Roger Fink wrote:
>> Select <Find>, then:
>>
>> Named: *.cab
>> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
>> Look In: (Your CD drive)
>> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB
>>

>> Haggis wrote:
>>> "TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I believe you would be looking to extract "Tshoot.ocx"

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:21:05 PM

Yes, I understand that. What I was getting at, but admittedly not very
cogently, was that if he did a file search using only the term "tshoot",
using the right search methodology, he might be able to find some version of
the file he needs (even though no one as yet knows what it is, I think), and
it would be useful in solving the problem, unless no solution for 98FE has
been devised yet. I'm a little revved up over this one because I just went
through it myself a few weeks ago.

Alan Edwards wrote:
> Roger,
>
> The OP has Win98 FE, not Win98 SE and tshoot98.chm does not exist in
> Win98 FE.
> The "tshoot" files in that CD are:
> Tshoot.css (Win98_51.cab)
> Tshoot.inf (Precopy2.cab)
> Tshoot.ocx (Win98_63.cab)
>
> ...Alan
>

>> If I change "tshoot98.chm" to just "tshoot" in the example below I
>> come up with these three files on my 98SE disc:
>> tshoot.inf (precopy2.cab)
>> tshoot98.chm (60.cab)
>> tshoot.ocx (69.cab)
>>
>> Roger Fink wrote:
>>> Select <Find>, then:
>>>
>>> Named: *.cab
>>> Containing text: tshoot98.chm
>>> Look In: (Your CD drive)
>>> For 98SE on my disc it's in 60.CAB

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:06:39 PM

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> (As an aside, I wonder why I've put this much effort into restoring a
> Windows functionality that I've never found very helpful in the first
> place!)

ROFL!! I've been thinking the same thing ever since you stared this
thread.
A burning need to not let the system win, perhaps? (Pardon the pun.)

;-)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User