Need an auto computer cleaning program

Status
Not open for further replies.

As everyone knows windows keeps many temp files.To use on other
computers that I maintain,I am looking for a program that will clean the
temp files, temp internet files etc. I use a program now but I have to
enter the paths. I want it to automatically look up these folders and
delete them.

Start>Run> [type in] cleanmgr
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

PA Bear wrote:
> Start>Run> [type in] cleanmgr
Yes I know about that. I need to clean the
content.IE5,history,recent,spool along with netscape,mozilla,firefox
cache,history. And any other files I can't think of now.

On 3/4/05 2:44 AM India Time, _Joe K_ wrote:

> PA Bear wrote:
>
>>Start>Run> [type in] cleanmgr
>
> Yes I know about that. I need to clean the
> content.IE5,history,recent,spool along with netscape,mozilla,firefox
> cache,history. And any other files I can't think of now.

My advice is to beware of any program which claims to clean
up files of different, independent softwares. Their cleaning
up might mean trouble.

Just curious. Why are using ie, ns, moz, ff (mayby TB and
oe) when they do same thing?

--
Rawat

Back in the Dark Ages (Dec-01), MVP Gary Terhune wrote:
<quote>
1. Get back to a clean slate. I, personally, prefer to use what I call a
"pure" DOS prompt, one arrived at straight from full reboot. Holding down or
repeatedly pressing the Ctrl key (sometimes F8) will usually succeed in
bringing up the Startup Menu. (Really needs to be just before Windows
starts, after POST, but this moment can be difficult to pin down.) At the
C:\ prompt:

smartdrv (This will keep the thing from taking all day--literally--to
finish the operation.)
cd windows
deltree tempor~1
deltree history
deltree cookies

(and while you're here, I would)
deltree recent

All of the above assumes you have a standard installation and haven't moved
things to different locations, which, having a small drive, I doubt you have
done.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot. I know others have suggested "Restart in MS-DOS
mode", and that is usually just fine. I am just never very trusting that the
Restart in MS-DOS hasn't been somehow screwed up (not unimaginable!) Either
way, SMARTDRV needs to be loaded. (If you get information returned after
already been loaded.)
</quote>
Source:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/msg/505243620cc71a4f

Ask in Netscape- Firefox-specific newsgroups about those applications.
--

Joe K wrote:
> PA Bear wrote:
> > Start>Run> [type in] cleanmgr
> Yes I know about that. I need to clean the
> content.IE5,history,recent,spool along with netscape,mozilla,firefox
> cache,history. And any other files I can't think of now.

(1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
next boot or when you run McAfee.

I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
for me by then.

Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
Registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders

(2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"

These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
button.

(3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
pre-V4:
(a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
(b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
(c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
(d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
"iuhist.xml" file.

(4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
Deleting APPLOG Content
(a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(b) START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
(c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
(d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
(e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
prompted to confirm the deletion.

APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
last Defrag.)

(5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
Then...

.......Quote.........
You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
to this:

fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
every time it is loaded.
See here:
OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
Debugger.
The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
removing its reference in the startup group.

Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
and in the registry run key:
and delete it.

Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

....glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
.......End....of quote.......

(6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
"START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
& installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
& doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

V S Rawat wrote:
> On 3/4/05 2:44 AM India Time, _Joe K_ wrote:
>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>>
>>> Start>Run> [type in] cleanmgr
>>

>> Yes I know about that. I need to clean the
>> content.IE5,history,recent,spool along with netscape,mozilla,firefox
>> cache,history. And any other files I can't think of now.
>

> My advice is to beware of any program which claims to clean up files of
> different, independent softwares. Their cleaning up might mean trouble.
>
> Just curious. Why are using ie, ns, moz, ff (mayby TB and oe) when they
> do same thing?

I read about products from different sources before I use them.I learned
the hard way too many times in my novice days of computing.
I have many verions of browsers on my computer.Reason being that I
want to at least learn the basics of them.That way when I go to a
friend's or families computer at least I know the product and where all
the folders are to look for temp files.Though I only use Mozilla.
That is also why I need a cleaning program that detects all the files
I want to delete.

Hi Joe,

It seems you are having good experience of different
browsers/ mailreader. I am sure there are several people out
there who would love to get help from you.

You might please _consider_ joining some newsgroups for
mozilla groups of products.

The following are the details if you need them.

newsserver name: secnews.netscape.com
Port: 563
Use Secure connection (SSL)

I don't think any username/ password is required. It is
free, too.

Three main ngs are:

netscape.mozilla.firebird (for Firefox)
netscape.mozilla.thunderbird
netscape.mozilla.user.win32 (for mozilla suite)

You can give it a thought.

--
Rawat