pn.exe & cmpagent.exe

Wow, what a day.
A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
5 old computers.
Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
building onto it with the others.
Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
update cd.
seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
after each re-boot.::::::
"The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does have
this stuff in a folder or two.
Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
I did a google and didnt find much at all.

Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all about
in the long term.

Dinner time.

thanks guys.

regards Jane
36 answers Last reply
More about cmpagent

    pn.exe is not cmpagent. "Nearest match" suggestions are usually worse
    than meaningless.

    pn.exe could be one of a number of things, and it's probably just been
    uninstalled without properly removing the startup command. Usual
    MSCONFIG review should turn up a bit more info, and then MSINFO32,
    Software Environment>Startup Group will pin down what kind of startup
    command it is.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > Wow, what a day.
    > A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
    > 5 old computers.
    > Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
    > building onto it with the others.
    > Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
    > update cd.
    > seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
    > after each re-boot.::::::
    > "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
    > goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
    > the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
    > files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does
    have
    > this stuff in a folder or two.
    > Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
    > I did a google and didnt find much at all.
    >
    > Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
    > something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all
    about
    > in the long term.
    >
    > Dinner time.
    >
    > thanks guys.
    >
    > regards Jane

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
    > goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be

    ....a wild-eyed guess. Forget about the "suggested" file.
    cmpagent.exe is NOT a factor here.
    I have seen that "nearest match" heuristic many times.
    The next time that it is correct will be the first time.

    Somebody uninstalled or deleted an application
    which contained an executable called PN.EXE
    without deleting the Desktop shortcut
    which points to PN.EXE

    OR

    Somebody moved or renamed the folder
    containing an executable called PN.EXE
    without also modifying the Desktop shortcut
    which points to PN.EXE to reflect
    the new address (drive and/or folder name).

    The simple remedy is to delete or modify
    the shortcut, based upon the existence
    or lack thereof of PN.EXE,
    which you need to determine.

    Hi gary,
    So what exactly should I do to stop the message at start-up
    concerning pn.exe?
    Yes, I can so as you say and go look at it in the areas you
    mentioned, but should I do something while there?
    I only got home with the whole package about 3 hours ago,
    I havent even plugged it in here yet.
    We didnt Fdisk the drive at all, simply put in a win98 upgrade cd
    as soon as we realised it already had win95 on it.
    I have never seen the folder containing CMPAGENT before on any
    9x system; I also believe that the person who disposed of the hdd
    wiped it clean as nothing other than windows stuff is there right now
    except for this alien folder and the PN msg on startup.
    I will investigate it further tomorrow.
    Oh, all of this is to aid yet another female student at college who
    is trying to do DreamWeaver but doesnt have any room on her
    computer to put the program...... she nearly tossed the whole
    thing in last week because she knew she was going to fall behind
    due to not being able to study the program at home.
    She is yet another small space hdd owner........ hers is also 8gigs
    and her kids also have their xmas presents (games) on it and she too
    hasnt got the heart to take the game off.

    regards Jane

    > pn.exe is not cmpagent. "Nearest match" suggestions are usually worse
    > than meaningless.
    >
    > pn.exe could be one of a number of things, and it's probably just been
    > uninstalled without properly removing the startup command. Usual
    > MSCONFIG review should turn up a bit more info, and then MSINFO32,
    > Software Environment>Startup Group will pin down what kind of startup
    > command it is.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Wow, what a day.
    > > A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
    > > 5 old computers.
    > > Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
    > > building onto it with the others.
    > > Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
    > > update cd.
    > > seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
    > > after each re-boot.::::::
    > > "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
    > > goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
    > > the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
    > > files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does
    > have
    > > this stuff in a folder or two.
    > > Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
    > > I did a google and didnt find much at all.
    > >
    > > Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
    > > something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all
    > about
    > > in the long term.
    > >
    > > Dinner time.
    > >
    > > thanks guys.
    > >
    > > regards Jane

    CMPAGENT is Compression Agent, a component of DriveSpace. That's all I'm
    going to tell you about DriveSpace, since you really need to hone your
    Google and MSKB search techniques and learn all about it yourself.
    Frankly, I'd re-FDISK the drive altogether, though even that has some
    issues to deal with where DriveSpace is concerned (I think.) DriveSpace
    was kool in its day, but is a royal PITA in post-Win95 systems.

    But that's not the issue here. Forget about CMPAGENT for the moment--you
    need to find out if there is a pn.exe file on your system. I suspect
    there is not. Then you have to do as I suggested and find out where the
    command that fails (because pn.exe isn't present) is located. You do
    that using MSCONFIG and/or MSINFO32.

    As for the student for whom this is intended--why not just wipe the hard
    drive clean using the disk manufacturer's utilities, then install that
    drive into her machine? Lots of added space that way. If that isn't an
    option, if she really wants and can use another system, you'd still be
    doing her a big favor if you wipe the disk and start over from scratch.

    --

> [...]
    > > have
    > > > this stuff in a folder or two.
    > > > Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
    > > > I did a google and didnt find much at all.
    > > >
    > > > Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
    > > > something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is
    all
    > > about
    > > > in the long term.
    > > >
    > > > Dinner time.
    > > >
    > > > thanks guys.
    > > >
    > > > regards Jane

    > As for the student for whom this is intended--why not just wipe the hard
    > drive clean using the disk manufacturer's utilities, then install that
    > drive into her machine? Lots of added space that way. If that isn't an
    > option, if she really wants and can use another system, you'd still be
    > doing her a big favor if you wipe the disk and start over from scratch.

    Hi Gary,
    Yes, I agree and have done just that this afternoon.
    Have put win98 on it and it is just fine.
    The whole episode is so she has a comp for use with her
    class......... Dream-Weaver.
    I spoke to her on the phone just now, and she "thinks" she
    may have to put xp on it due to some of Dream Weavers
    functions not working in win98.
    I told her the hdd was only 2gig and also only has 32 meg ram.
    It she does put xp on it, will it work with these specifications?

    While building the comp, we put a sound card in it from another comp, and
    now need to find drivers for it.
    The only info I can find about the card is when looking in device manager
    under, where there is a Yellow Exclamation mark. On
    further investigation using properties it states no driver is installed
    and shows 'error code28'(which i believe just means No Driver).
    This is all I have to go on to search for the driver:: OPL3-SAX.
    I have spent quite a while looking for the correct driver but I do
    have great difficulty in figuring out which to choose. There are different
    brand-names and all sorts at these sites......... can you help?
    Also, the Autoexec and Config.sys areas have absolutely no text
    in them at this stage. The computer has nothing on it except the o/s.

    thanks gary.

    regards Jane

    > I spoke to her on the phone just now, and she "thinks" she
    > may have to put xp on it due to some of Dream Weavers
    > functions not working in win98.
    > I told her the hdd was only 2gig and also only has 32 meg ram.
    > It she does put xp on it, will it work with these specifications?

    Eligibility:
    Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

    Never mind the XP Pro mentioning, the requirements for Home and Pro are
    basically the same.
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP Professional System Requirements
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

    And to further the process, your hardware/software may not be up to date for
    XP. You can check by using the upgrade advisor download indirectly here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/checkcompat.asp

    or here directly
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    However I would suggest, if you have a friend with an XP CD you can run the
    advisor from it, the download is approx. 32MB.

    or check here by typing in the hardware you want to check:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/compat.asp

    > While building the comp, we put a sound card in it from another comp, and
    > now need to find drivers for it.
    > The only info I can find about the card is when looking in device manager
    > under, where there is a Yellow Exclamation mark. On
    > further investigation using properties it states no driver is installed
    > and shows 'error code28'(which i believe just means No Driver).
    > This is all I have to go on to search for the driver:: OPL3-SAX.
    > I have spent quite a while looking for the correct driver but I do
    > have great difficulty in figuring out which to choose. There are different
    > brand-names and all sorts at these sites......... can you help?

    Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
    http://www.driverguide.com/.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Sorry Gary, I didnt type what I found in Device Manager
    quite correctly. It said"" OPL3-SAX Sound Board.

    hope you can help.

    regards Jane

    > Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
    > http://www.driverguide.com/.

    Hi Brian,,,
    two things:;
    1)I did go to yamaha's site first, but it seemed to be talking about
    musical equipment; amplifiers and similar. I will go back now that
    I know it is where I was supposed to be.
    2)I have just found out via first-hand experience that xp requires
    a minimum of 64meg of ram to exist...... learning all the time

    thanks brian.

    regards Jane

    > Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
    > http://www.driverguide.com/.

    Hi again Brian,,,,,,
    I just downloaded the driver(s) from the Yamaha site and even
    in their zipped form the file is 2meg.
    Isnt this kinda large just for a driver(s)?
    My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
    the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.

    Surely the driver(s) I require dont take up this much space?

    regards Jane

    Drivers packages can be pretty large if the manufacturer includes
    management software. Many do.

    Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
    you're getting into. There is no feasible way to transfer large files to
    an off-line or slow dial-up except by CD or other large capacity storage
    (DVD, Zip disk, USB stick) or by direct network connection of some sort.
    Floppies just don't hack it. Not in this day and age.

    Have a link to the drivers download, so I can take a look? Perhaps they
    have a "stripped down" set with the bare minimums.

    --

    jane wrote:

    > My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
    > the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.

    You can use a zip program to "span" it across a couple of floppies.

    Winzip will work just fine. http://www.winzip.com/

    How to span files using Winzip:
    http://www.winzip.com/xspan.htm

    Winzip is not free, but it does have a free 21-day evaluation period
    that will allow you enough time to do that.

    There might be a free zip utility that can do it also, but I haven't
    used any of them so I couldn't tell you for sure.

    MM

    Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
    the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
    course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
    of that chicken and egg thing.

    Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.

    Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.

    MM

    "Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
    > Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
    > the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
    > course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
    > of that chicken and egg thing.
    >
    > Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.

    PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE work just fine
    in that situation. They did for me.

    You'll get all the info you need about them from Google
    using the seach term
    PKZIP.EXE PKUNZIP.EXE

    > Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.

    Make mine Mocha!!

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
    >>the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
    >>course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
    >>of that chicken and egg thing.
    >>
    >>Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.
    >>

    > PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE work just fine
    > in that situation. They did for me.
    >
    > You'll get all the info you need about them from Google
    > using the seach term
    > PKZIP.EXE PKUNZIP.EXE

    Thanks. Bookmarked them for future reference.

    >>Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.
    >

    > Make mine Mocha!!

    Too late. I drank it all. Had to go for a walk in the park to burn it
    off though.

    Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
    I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
    to suit the one I need.
    They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
    I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
    a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
    done with an exe?
    Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
    flipping 2 megabytes or more.

    Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

    Time for sleep.

    regards Jane

    If you have WinZip, see if it will open the EXE file with that. Many
    "EXE" files are self-executing archives--when you run them, the first
    thing they do is unpack themselves and then run Setup.exe from the
    Unpacked set. If this is the case, you can very easily use floppies, so
    long as none of the interior files are over 1.44 MB. Just have to make
    sure they're restored to the target machine with all relative paths the
    same--you want the folder you finally use to look exactly like the
    folder where you unpacked the EXE file to. Then run Setup.exe (If you're
    lucky, that is.)

    --

    > Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
    > I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
    > to suit the one I need.
    > They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
    > I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
    > a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
    > done with an exe?
    > Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
    > flipping 2 megabytes or more.
    >
    > Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
    >
    > Time for sleep.
    >
    > regards Jane

    DG is a great resource for drivers, yet you need to make it a habit to
    manually virus scan any/all files dl'd, ANY/ALL, even the ones from other
    sites.

    If you have WinZip or a similar app, open the .zip from Yamaha and see if
    there is more than one file in the archive. If there is, then you could copy
    the files for now onto floppies. Unzip the archive to a folder on the
    desktop, then drag/drop to floppy, scoot on over to other comp and drag/drop
    from floppy to folder on desktop.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
    > I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
    > to suit the one I need.
    > They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
    > I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
    > a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
    > done with an exe?
    > Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
    > flipping 2 megabytes or more.
    >
    > Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
    >
    > Time for sleep.
    >
    > regards Jane

    > Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
    > you're getting into.

    BOy, you is *so* right.
    I flipping well have one on a table behind me but the damn thing
    has given up the ghost;;;; something to do with its mechanical
    side.
    I have a 'borrowed' one in the house as of 'now'. I have it for
    a couple of days only but will make use of it as much as possible,
    especially regarding my paranoia in putting on xp on my vacant
    Ddrive.......... can now back up my whole Edrive of which is
    what has been my main issue/problem the whole way through.

    many thanks for looking for the stripped-down version, because it
    will take my non-mechanical mind a while to figure out how to put in
    the borrowed burner regarding Jumpers and Master/Slave etc.

    thanks gary

    regards Jane

    If you download the following, and you use WinZip or similar to unpack
    it (instead of simply executing it) you'll find that it consists of two
    folder, DISK1 and DISK2. Each is small enough for a floppy. Don't run
    them from the floppy. Instead, copy both folders to a "Yamaha" folder on
    the target system's hard drive, then simply run Setup from the folder
    called Disk1. If prompted for the location of DATA2.CAB (or to insert
    DISK2), and you aren't provided with a Browse button, Cancel the
    installation, then move DATA2.CAB to the DISK1 folder. Then run Setup
    again. (I can't figure out how it runs without actually installing, and
    I ain't gonna do that, <s>.)

    Here's the download:
    http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/us/support/driver/sax/95v2343.exe

    or
    http://tinyurl.com/4a2v4

    --

    > > Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
    > > you're getting into.
    >
    > BOy, you is *so* right.
    > I flipping well have one on a table behind me but the damn thing
    > has given up the ghost;;;; something to do with its mechanical
    > side.
    > I have a 'borrowed' one in the house as of 'now'. I have it for
    > a couple of days only but will make use of it as much as possible,
    > especially regarding my paranoia in putting on xp on my vacant
    > Ddrive.......... can now back up my whole Edrive of which is
    > what has been my main issue/problem the whole way through.
    >
    > many thanks for looking for the stripped-down version, because it
    > will take my non-mechanical mind a while to figure out how to put in
    > the borrowed burner regarding Jumpers and Master/Slave etc.
    >
    > thanks gary
    >
    > regards Jane

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, thank you Mostly Me,
    I had forgotton about that function.
    I now remember it from college although not much
    time was spent on the topic.
    I will go to the site and learn about Spanning.

    regards Jane

    > jane wrote:
    >
    > > My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
    > > the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.
    >
    > You can use a zip program to "span" it across a couple of floppies.
    >
    > Winzip will work just fine. http://www.winzip.com/
    >
    > How to span files using Winzip:
    > http://www.winzip.com/xspan.htm
    >
    > Winzip is not free, but it does have a free 21-day evaluation period
    > that will allow you enough time to do that.
    >
    > There might be a free zip utility that can do it also, but I haven't
    > used any of them so I couldn't tell you for sure.
    >
    > MM

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oh well,
    next batter up.

    regards Jane

    oh, I do have winzip
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Hi Brian,
    The last 5 or so posts have been a wealth regarding how to get
    the necessaries over to the other computer.
    Yes, I have winzip on mine, and I've just found a 'zipped' version
    of Winzip itself on my computer.... it is 1.35meg and may just
    fit on a floppy.

    During today and tonight, I realised that perhaps I am going about
    this whole thing the wrong way.
    (especially after todays lesson using Gdisk and etc.)
    No one here yet has suggested I simply take the drive out of the
    other/new machine and plant it onto mine and then make the necessary
    adjustments.
    (its okay, I only just thought about it myself considering the other
    machine is sitting on our coffee table with the sides off due to trying
    a second hard-drive of which is also only 2gig)

    I guess this is all relates to yet another rung up the learning ladder
    whereby I manually put a separate hdd into my computer and set it
    up as a slave.(oo but that word sounds so dominant and nasty).
    I must admit, I havent yet done this and I know it involves pulling out
    the thingy from the hdd and putting it into a slot that designates 'slave'
    so that my computer will see it as something that is secondary to its
    norm.
    If I do manage (with your help) to get this done, could I then just
    transfer stuff from one hdd to the other? sort of like by-passing
    the need for a cd-burner in this particular situation?

    thanks, from a very hot sth australia at the moment.....
    (we are sweltering)

    regards Jane

    Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > DG is a great resource for drivers, yet you need to make it a habit to
    > manually virus scan any/all files dl'd, ANY/ALL, even the ones from other
    > sites.
    >
    > If you have WinZip or a similar app, open the .zip from Yamaha and see if
    > there is more than one file in the archive. If there is, then you could
    copy
    > the files for now onto floppies. Unzip the archive to a folder on the
    > desktop, then drag/drop to floppy, scoot on over to other comp and
    drag/drop
    > from floppy to folder on desktop.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
    > > I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
    > > to suit the one I need.
    > > They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
    > > I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
    > > a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
    > > done with an exe?
    > > Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
    > > flipping 2 megabytes or more.
    > >
    > > Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
    > >
    > > Time for sleep.
    > >
    > > regards Jane

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Hi Brian,
    <snip></snip>
    > No one here yet has suggested I simply take the drive out of the
    > other/new machine and plant it onto mine and then make the necessary
    > adjustments.
    > (its okay, I only just thought about it myself considering the other
    > machine is sitting on our coffee table with the sides off due to trying
    > a second hard-drive of which is also only 2gig)

    Perhaps no one here suggested it because we all have burners and dragging
    drives around isn't common just to transfer files.

    > I guess this is all relates to yet another rung up the learning ladder
    > whereby I manually put a separate hdd into my computer and set it
    > up as a slave.(oo but that word sounds so dominant and nasty).
    > I must admit, I havent yet done this and I know it involves pulling out
    > the thingy from the hdd and putting it into a slot that designates 'slave'
    > so that my computer will see it as something that is secondary to its
    > norm.
    > If I do manage (with your help) to get this done, could I then just
    > transfer stuff from one hdd to the other? sort of like by-passing
    > the need for a cd-burner in this particular situation?

    Can do and very plausible. If you connect the drive to an existing ribbon
    cable that has another drive the drive your connecting goes on the "middle"
    connector. Set the original drive as Master and the added drive as Slave.
    Most drives have a digram on top for jumper settings and/or letters on the
    board by the pins designating jumper settings where you connect the jumper .

    If you have an open IDE channel connect the added drive to it and set it as
    single.

    Either way the original should be seen as the drive from which to boot and
    you can copy away to your hearts content.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    !! PUT THOSE SIDES BACK ON !!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    the
    | > desktop, then drag/drop to floppy, scoot on over to other comp and
    | drag/drop
    | > from floppy to folder on desktop.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Brian A.
    | >
    | > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >

    | > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | > > Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
    | > > I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
    | > > to suit the one I need.
    | > > They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
    | > > I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
    | > > a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
    | > > done with an exe?
    | > > Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
    | > > flipping 2 megabytes or more.
    | > >
    | > > Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > !! PUT THOSE SIDES BACK ON !!

    I Cant bear to PCR, it is teaching me so much just by staring
    at the innards.
    If it is a Dust situtation you are relating to, then how come I had
    a HUGE dust build-up when I took the fans off 4 weeks ago?
    Seems the flippin' sides didnt do much to stop that problem.
    (I'm chuckling as I type, I know you have the best intent for me
    and the computer........ One day I will put a face to how I picture
    you as I type)

    Okay, you win, I will put the sides back......... BUT, I want you
    to go over why I should again.
    I just cant see the dust thingy being the reason, not after what I found
    that day.

    Am watching the Simpsons at the moment, Groening(spellcheck)
    has an uncanny ability to paint us as we Really are.

    regards Jane
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Dust isn't so much the issue, as it will get in anyhow. As I said last
    time, someone around here, maybe Candlin, stated believably that the
    fans inside the box need it to be closed to get the flow of air right.
    It may be true, because I had my box open over a month, & I think it was
    around then that my mouse began to freeze. Other things were happening,
    so I can't be positive it was that. But the cover is on, & the problem
    is gone. And I'm not sure I actually spotted a fan in there, except the
    big one on the power supply.

    | One day I will put a face to how I picture
    | you as I type)

    BETTER do it in the Winter, or Ian will have grounds for divorce.

    --
    | > !! PUT THOSE SIDES BACK ON !!
    |
    | I Cant bear to PCR, it is teaching me so much just by staring
    | at the innards.
    | If it is a Dust situtation you are relating to, then how come I had
    | a HUGE dust build-up when I took the fans off 4 weeks ago?
    | Seems the flippin' sides didnt do much to stop that problem.
    | (I'm chuckling as I type, I know you have the best intent for me
    | and the computer........ One day I will put a face to how I picture
    | you as I type)
    |
    | Okay, you win, I will put the sides back......... BUT, I want you
    | to go over why I should again.
    | I just cant see the dust thingy being the reason, not after what I
    found
    | that day.
    |
    | Am watching the Simpsons at the moment, Groening(spellcheck)
    | has an uncanny ability to paint us as we Really are.
    |
    | regards Jane

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Can do and very plausible. If you connect the drive to an existing ribbon
    > cable that has another drive the drive your connecting goes on the
    "middle"
    > connector. Set the original drive as Master and the added drive as Slave.
    > Most drives have a digram on top for jumper settings and/or letters on the
    > board by the pins designating jumper settings where you connect the jumper
    ..

    > If you have an open IDE channel connect the added drive to it and set it
    as
    > single.
    >
    > Either way the original should be seen as the drive from which to boot
    and
    > you can copy away to your hearts content.
    _________

    Great, I will get on it first thing tomorrow evening.
    Questions::;
    1)Wouldnt mine already be set as Master?
    2)What is an "Open IDE channel".
    3)If I have an "open ide", where do I find "Single"?

    Since this projects inception, I have learned so much.
    You should see the Dust Build-Up inside this machine I have brought
    home. I will be wanting to clean it all off of the Cards and am thinking
    of doing it in a similar way that I did mine 4 weeks ago, but this time I
    will
    use the Painters Brush much much more gently; I will also take the cards
    out
    while I do it.

    I will keep you posted as to how I go getting the 2meg of drivers over to
    the
    other drive.

    thanks Brian.

    regards Jane
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > > Can do and very plausible. If you connect the drive to an existing
    ribbon
    > > cable that has another drive the drive your connecting goes on the
    > "middle"
    > > connector. Set the original drive as Master and the added drive as
    Slave.
    > > Most drives have a digram on top for jumper settings and/or letters
    on the
    > > board by the pins designating jumper settings where you connect the
    jumper
    > .
    > >
    > > If you have an open IDE channel connect the added drive to it and
    set it
    > as
    > > single.
    > >
    > > Either way the original should be seen as the drive from which to
    boot
    > and
    > > you can copy away to your hearts content.
    > _________
    >
    > Great, I will get on it first thing tomorrow evening.
    > Questions::;
    > 1)Wouldnt mine already be set as Master?
    > 2)What is an "Open IDE channel".
    > 3)If I have an "open ide", where do I find "Single"?

    1. Yes, yours would *probably* be set as Master, but might also be set
    as Single, which states that "This disk is the only disk on the IDE
    Channel". Might also be set to Cable Select (requires higher-end cable
    and the Master/Slave relationship is determined by position on teh
    cable--Master at end, Slave in the middle.

    2. There are generally two IDE Channels--places on the motherboard to
    plug in a drive cable for IDE drives (there's usually a place for the
    floppy cable, too, but that's not IDE, and if your system has RAID built
    in, then there are even more places to plug in IDE devices. The typical
    mobo will have two sockets for IDE Channel 1 and IDE Channel 2. Of you
    look closely, it's usually printed right on the board, or refer to the
    manual.

    3. Already answered.

    > Since this projects inception, I have learned so much.
    > You should see the Dust Build-Up inside this machine I have brought
    > home. I will be wanting to clean it all off of the Cards and am
    thinking
    > of doing it in a similar way that I did mine 4 weeks ago, but this
    time I
    > will
    > use the Painters Brush much much more gently; I will also take the
    cards
    > out
    > while I do it.

    Both good ideas. I find that a one-inch, *natural_bristle* paint brush
    works most efficiently. Remember, if you find yourself removing the
    heatsink from the CPU, you *must* clean both heatsink and CPU very well,
    then apply a new layer of heatsink grease.

    > I will keep you posted as to how I go getting the 2meg of drivers over
    > the
    > other drive.

    You didn't see the post I posted about the way that drivers file from
    Yamaha is arranged? It is already divided into two folders, DISK1 and
    DISK2. Makes it quite simple to move using floppies.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > again. (I can't figure out how it runs without actually installing, and
    > I ain't gonna do that, <s>.)

    Hi gary,
    I hear you.
    After the last 36hrs of posts it now seems I have many ways
    of achieving the goal. I will try them all if not just for the learning.
    The only problem I have now is handing over the hdd as I will see
    her again at college the day after tomorrow.

    many thanks,

    regards Jane
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    , I think it was
    > around then that my mouse began to freeze. Other things were happening,
    > so I can't be positive it was that. But the cover is on, & the problem
    > is gone. And I'm not sure I actually spotted a fan in there, except the
    > big one on the power supply.

    So, do you really believe that just by putting the sides on it fixed
    your problem with the mouse, or could it have been coincidence?
    I cant wait til we have some lazy funds, I want Ian to buy me one of
    those cases that are see-through, if I can get him to take his mind off
    buying other things that are see through.

    > BETTER do it in the Winter, or Ian will have grounds for divorce.

    Aww, cmon', dont tell me you is one husky type of hombre.
    Okay, just in case I'll only picture you with winter woolies.
    (heh heh)

    > There may be humor in this post........................

    btw, you oughtta see the dust and gunk that is inside the computer
    I built from the garage sales last week.
    I think i'll need a BullDozer to get the dust off of the pci cards.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > So, do you really believe that just by putting the sides on it fixed
    > your problem with the mouse, or could it have been coincidence?

    Don't confuse cause with efect.

    A CPU overheating and unable to function is an effect,
    which in turn inhibits the ability of a mouse - or anything else -
    to respond, so a mouse's lack of response is also an effect.

    Heat is a problem, but it is not the cause of a freeze.
    Heat is always present.

    The failure of the fans to dissipate enough of the heat
    to keep the temperature of the CPU within its normal
    operating range is the most probable cause of a freeze.
    This is a subtle but critical and distinct differentiation.

    Faulty capacitors, due to criminal activity a few years ago
    during the tantalum shortage, is another, though less likely.

    The first remedial action is to clean out the dust.

    The second is to ensure that all of the fans are operating,
    and perhaps add one or 2 more for extra stability.

    The third remedial action is to replace the case sides,
    to allow the system to operate "as it was designed".
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    | , I think it was
    | > around then that my mouse began to freeze. Other things were
    happening,
    | > so I can't be positive it was that. But the cover is on, & the
    problem
    | > is gone. And I'm not sure I actually spotted a fan in there, except
    the
    | > big one on the power supply.
    |
    | So, do you really believe that just by putting the sides on it fixed
    | your problem with the mouse, or could it have been coincidence?

    My experience coupled with Candlin's diatribe tips the scale in a civil
    case. But I wouldn't hang anyone with that evidence, except possibly
    Terhune.

    | I cant wait til we have some lazy funds, I want Ian to buy me one of
    | those cases that are see-through, if I can get him to take his mind
    off
    | buying other things that are see through.

    Oh! Then... in what season should I picture you in my mind?

    | | One day I will put a face to how I picture
    | | you as I type)
    |
    | > BETTER do it in the Winter, or Ian will have grounds for divorce.
    |
    | Aww, cmon', dont tell me you is one husky type of hombre.
    | Okay, just in case I'll only picture you with winter woolies.
    | (heh heh)

    Well, how husky is Ian?

    | > There may be humor in this post........................
    |
    | btw, you oughtta see the dust and gunk that is inside the computer
    | I built from the garage sales last week.
    | I think i'll need a BullDozer to get the dust off of the pci cards.

    I have my own dust & gunk to look at, even in/under the mouse, which
    also was a prime suspect in my mouse freezes. But I haven't had to clean
    it since closing the box. (Well, really, the freezing may not have
    stopped immediately upon closing it. It didn't stop immediately after
    any measure I took, but closing the box was one of the last of those.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Well, how husky is Ian?
    >

    > | > There may be humor in this post........................
    > |
    > | btw, you oughtta see the dust and gunk that is inside the computer
    > | I built from the garage sales last week.
    > | I think i'll need a BullDozer to get the dust off of the pci cards.

    He's my BullDozer, thats how chunky he is.

    regards Jane
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | > Well, how husky is Ian?

    | > |
    | > |
    | > | btw, you oughtta see the dust and gunk that is inside the computer
    | > | I built from the garage sales last week.
    | > | I think i'll need a BullDozer to get the dust off of the pci
    cards.

    | He's my BullDozer, thats how chunky he is.

    (Uhuh.) Well, I must leave you in Candlin's hands, as more & more I
    recall him to be the true expert in matters of heat. I only had that one
    experience, really, you know. OK, then.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > | He's my BullDozer, thats how chunky he is.
    >
    > (Uhuh.) Well, I must leave you in Candlin's hands, as more & more I
    > recall him to be the true expert in matters of heat. I only had that one
    > experience, really, you know. OK, then.

    You crack me up............

    btw, found another 'old' post of yours, I answered it just now.
    Hope I get a new comp.........

    regards Jane
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | > | He's my BullDozer, thats how chunky he is.
    | >
    | > (Uhuh.) Well, I must leave you in Candlin's hands, as more & more I
    | > recall him to be the true expert in matters of heat. I only had that
    one
    | > experience, really, you know. OK, then.
    |

    | You crack me up............

    Ah, ha, ha.

    | btw, found another 'old' post of yours, I answered it just now.
    | Hope I get a new comp.........

    I saw. OK, then.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,