pn.exe & cmpagent.exe

Wow, what a day.
A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
5 old computers.
Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
building onto it with the others.
Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
update cd.
seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
after each re-boot.::::::
"The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does have
this stuff in a folder or two.
Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
I did a google and didnt find much at all.

Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all about
in the long term.

Dinner time.

thanks guys.

regards Jane

pn.exe is not cmpagent. "Nearest match" suggestions are usually worse
than meaningless.

pn.exe could be one of a number of things, and it's probably just been
uninstalled without properly removing the startup command. Usual
MSCONFIG review should turn up a bit more info, and then MSINFO32,
Software Environment>Startup Group will pin down what kind of startup
command it is.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Wow, what a day.
> A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
> 5 old computers.
> Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
> building onto it with the others.
> Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
> update cd.
> seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
> after each re-boot.::::::
> "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
> goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
> the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
> files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does
have
> this stuff in a folder or two.
> Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
> I did a google and didnt find much at all.
>
> Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
> something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all
about
> in the long term.
>
> Dinner time.
>
> thanks guys.
>
> regards Jane

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

> "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
> goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be

....a wild-eyed guess. Forget about the "suggested" file.
cmpagent.exe is NOT a factor here.
I have seen that "nearest match" heuristic many times.
The next time that it is correct will be the first time.

Somebody uninstalled or deleted an application
which contained an executable called PN.EXE
without deleting the Desktop shortcut
which points to PN.EXE

OR

Somebody moved or renamed the folder
containing an executable called PN.EXE
without also modifying the Desktop shortcut
which points to PN.EXE to reflect
the new address (drive and/or folder name).

The simple remedy is to delete or modify
the shortcut, based upon the existence
or lack thereof of PN.EXE,
which you need to determine.

Hi gary,
So what exactly should I do to stop the message at start-up
concerning pn.exe?
Yes, I can so as you say and go look at it in the areas you
mentioned, but should I do something while there?
I only got home with the whole package about 3 hours ago,
I havent even plugged it in here yet.
We didnt Fdisk the drive at all, simply put in a win98 upgrade cd
as soon as we realised it already had win95 on it.
I have never seen the folder containing CMPAGENT before on any
9x system; I also believe that the person who disposed of the hdd
wiped it clean as nothing other than windows stuff is there right now
except for this alien folder and the PN msg on startup.
I will investigate it further tomorrow.
Oh, all of this is to aid yet another female student at college who
is trying to do DreamWeaver but doesnt have any room on her
computer to put the program...... she nearly tossed the whole
thing in last week because she knew she was going to fall behind
due to not being able to study the program at home.
She is yet another small space hdd owner........ hers is also 8gigs
and her kids also have their xmas presents (games) on it and she too
hasnt got the heart to take the game off.

regards Jane

> pn.exe is not cmpagent. "Nearest match" suggestions are usually worse
> than meaningless.
>
> pn.exe could be one of a number of things, and it's probably just been
> uninstalled without properly removing the startup command. Usual
> MSCONFIG review should turn up a bit more info, and then MSINFO32,
> Software Environment>Startup Group will pin down what kind of startup
> command it is.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Wow, what a day.
> > A friend and I went out "garage sale-ing" today and brought home
> > 5 old computers.
> > Decided on what we thought was the best of the bunch and started
> > building onto it with the others.
> > Added a few cards and updated the win95 o/s to win98 with an
> > update cd.
> > seems to be functioning okay except for this message on screen
> > after each re-boot.::::::
> > "The item "pn.exe" that this shortcut refers to has moved." it then
> > goes on to talk about the nearest match to it which happens to be in
> > the Programs folder; the path goes like this:: c:\programs
> > files\PLUS!\cmpagent.exe......... I had a look there and it does
> have
> > this stuff in a folder or two.
> > Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
> > I did a google and didnt find much at all.
> >
> > Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
> > something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is all
> about
> > in the long term.
> >
> > Dinner time.
> >
> > thanks guys.
> >
> > regards Jane

CMPAGENT is Compression Agent, a component of DriveSpace. That's all I'm
going to tell you about DriveSpace, since you really need to hone your
Google and MSKB search techniques and learn all about it yourself.
Frankly, I'd re-FDISK the drive altogether, though even that has some
issues to deal with where DriveSpace is concerned (I think.) DriveSpace
was kool in its day, but is a royal PITA in post-Win95 systems.

But that's not the issue here. Forget about CMPAGENT for the moment--you
need to find out if there is a pn.exe file on your system. I suspect
there is not. Then you have to do as I suggested and find out where the
command that fails (because pn.exe isn't present) is located. You do
that using MSCONFIG and/or MSINFO32.

As for the student for whom this is intended--why not just wipe the hard
drive clean using the disk manufacturer's utilities, then install that
drive into her machine? Lots of added space that way. If that isn't an
option, if she really wants and can use another system, you'd still be
doing her a big favor if you wipe the disk and start over from scratch.

--

> [...]
> > have
> > > this stuff in a folder or two.
> > > Does anyone know what cmpagent is?
> > > I did a google and didnt find much at all.
> > >
> > > Boy that was fun. My first project at buying old stuff and making
> > > something out of it all.... I guess this is what college is
all
> > about
> > > in the long term.
> > >
> > > Dinner time.
> > >
> > > thanks guys.
> > >
> > > regards Jane

> As for the student for whom this is intended--why not just wipe the hard
> drive clean using the disk manufacturer's utilities, then install that
> drive into her machine? Lots of added space that way. If that isn't an
> option, if she really wants and can use another system, you'd still be
> doing her a big favor if you wipe the disk and start over from scratch.

Hi Gary,
Yes, I agree and have done just that this afternoon.
Have put win98 on it and it is just fine.
The whole episode is so she has a comp for use with her
class......... Dream-Weaver.
I spoke to her on the phone just now, and she "thinks" she
may have to put xp on it due to some of Dream Weavers
functions not working in win98.
I told her the hdd was only 2gig and also only has 32 meg ram.
It she does put xp on it, will it work with these specifications?

While building the comp, we put a sound card in it from another comp, and
now need to find drivers for it.
The only info I can find about the card is when looking in device manager
under, where there is a Yellow Exclamation mark. On
further investigation using properties it states no driver is installed
and shows 'error code28'(which i believe just means No Driver).
This is all I have to go on to search for the driver:: OPL3-SAX.
I have spent quite a while looking for the correct driver but I do
have great difficulty in figuring out which to choose. There are different
brand-names and all sorts at these sites......... can you help?
Also, the Autoexec and Config.sys areas have absolutely no text
in them at this stage. The computer has nothing on it except the o/s.

thanks gary.

regards Jane

> I spoke to her on the phone just now, and she "thinks" she
> may have to put xp on it due to some of Dream Weavers
> functions not working in win98.
> I told her the hdd was only 2gig and also only has 32 meg ram.
> It she does put xp on it, will it work with these specifications?

Eligibility:
Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

Never mind the XP Pro mentioning, the requirements for Home and Pro are
basically the same.
System Requirements:
Windows XP Professional System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

And to further the process, your hardware/software may not be up to date for
XP. You can check by using the upgrade advisor download indirectly here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/checkcompat.asp

or here directly
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

However I would suggest, if you have a friend with an XP CD you can run the
advisor from it, the download is approx. 32MB.

or check here by typing in the hardware you want to check:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/compat.asp

> While building the comp, we put a sound card in it from another comp, and
> now need to find drivers for it.
> The only info I can find about the card is when looking in device manager
> under, where there is a Yellow Exclamation mark. On
> further investigation using properties it states no driver is installed
> and shows 'error code28'(which i believe just means No Driver).
> This is all I have to go on to search for the driver:: OPL3-SAX.
> I have spent quite a while looking for the correct driver but I do
> have great difficulty in figuring out which to choose. There are different
> brand-names and all sorts at these sites......... can you help?

Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
http://www.driverguide.com/.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Sorry Gary, I didnt type what I found in Device Manager
quite correctly. It said"" OPL3-SAX Sound Board.

hope you can help.

regards Jane

> Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
> http://www.driverguide.com/.

Hi Brian,,,
two things:;
1)I did go to yamaha's site first, but it seemed to be talking about
musical equipment; amplifiers and similar. I will go back now that
I know it is where I was supposed to be.
2)I have just found out via first-hand experience that xp requires
a minimum of 64meg of ram to exist...... learning all the time

thanks brian.

regards Jane

> Check Yamaha's support site for the proper drivers or
> http://www.driverguide.com/.

Hi again Brian,,,,,,
I just downloaded the driver(s) from the Yamaha site and even
in their zipped form the file is 2meg.
Isnt this kinda large just for a driver(s)?
My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.

Surely the driver(s) I require dont take up this much space?

regards Jane

Drivers packages can be pretty large if the manufacturer includes
management software. Many do.

Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
you're getting into. There is no feasible way to transfer large files to
an off-line or slow dial-up except by CD or other large capacity storage
(DVD, Zip disk, USB stick) or by direct network connection of some sort.
Floppies just don't hack it. Not in this day and age.

Have a link to the drivers download, so I can take a look? Perhaps they
have a "stripped down" set with the bare minimums.

--

jane wrote:

> My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
> the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.

You can use a zip program to "span" it across a couple of floppies.

Winzip will work just fine. http://www.winzip.com/

How to span files using Winzip:
http://www.winzip.com/xspan.htm

Winzip is not free, but it does have a free 21-day evaluation period
that will allow you enough time to do that.

There might be a free zip utility that can do it also, but I haven't
used any of them so I couldn't tell you for sure.

MM

Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
of that chicken and egg thing.

Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.

Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.

MM

"Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
> Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
> the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
> course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
> of that chicken and egg thing.
>
> Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.

PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE work just fine
in that situation. They did for me.

You'll get all the info you need about them from Google
using the seach term
PKZIP.EXE PKUNZIP.EXE

> Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.

Make mine Mocha!!

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
>
>>Never mind. I see Winzip is now more than 2MB, so you would have to span
>>the installation file also to install it on the other computer. Then of
>>course, you would need the program already installed to unzip it. Kind
>>of that chicken and egg thing.
>>
>>Unless, the other computer already has a zip program on it.
>>

> PKZIP.EXE and PKUNZIP.EXE work just fine
> in that situation. They did for me.
>
> You'll get all the info you need about them from Google
> using the seach term
> PKZIP.EXE PKUNZIP.EXE

Thanks. Bookmarked them for future reference.

>>Sheesh, I need to go make some coffee.
>

> Make mine Mocha!!

Too late. I drank it all. Had to go for a walk in the park to burn it
off though.

Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
to suit the one I need.
They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
done with an exe?
Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
flipping 2 megabytes or more.

Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Time for sleep.

regards Jane

If you have WinZip, see if it will open the EXE file with that. Many
"EXE" files are self-executing archives--when you run them, the first
thing they do is unpack themselves and then run Setup.exe from the
Unpacked set. If this is the case, you can very easily use floppies, so
long as none of the interior files are over 1.44 MB. Just have to make
sure they're restored to the target machine with all relative paths the
same--you want the folder you finally use to look exactly like the
folder where you unpacked the EXE file to. Then run Setup.exe (If you're
lucky, that is.)

--

> Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
> I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
> to suit the one I need.
> They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
> I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
> a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
> done with an exe?
> Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
> flipping 2 megabytes or more.
>
> Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
>
> Time for sleep.
>
> regards Jane

DG is a great resource for drivers, yet you need to make it a habit to
manually virus scan any/all files dl'd, ANY/ALL, even the ones from other
sites.

If you have WinZip or a similar app, open the .zip from Yamaha and see if
there is more than one file in the archive. If there is, then you could copy
the files for now onto floppies. Unzip the archive to a folder on the
desktop, then drag/drop to floppy, scoot on over to other comp and drag/drop
from floppy to folder on desktop.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Boy oh boy, what a pain in the bum.
> I have joined Driver.com and found similar yamaha drivers
> to suit the one I need.
> They are all over 2meg and they are .exe's.
> I believe there is a way to separate files when places them onto
> a floppy if the file exceeds the floppy size, but can this also be
> done with an exe?
> Who would have thought that a driver for a sound card would be
> flipping 2 megabytes or more.
>
> Any alternative advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
>
> Time for sleep.
>
> regards Jane

> Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
> you're getting into.

BOy, you is *so* right.
I flipping well have one on a table behind me but the damn thing
has given up the ghost;;;; something to do with its mechanical
side.
I have a 'borrowed' one in the house as of 'now'. I have it for
a couple of days only but will make use of it as much as possible,
especially regarding my paranoia in putting on xp on my vacant
Ddrive.......... can now back up my whole Edrive of which is
what has been my main issue/problem the whole way through.

many thanks for looking for the stripped-down version, because it
will take my non-mechanical mind a while to figure out how to put in
the borrowed burner regarding Jumpers and Master/Slave etc.

thanks gary

regards Jane

If you download the following, and you use WinZip or similar to unpack
it (instead of simply executing it) you'll find that it consists of two
folder, DISK1 and DISK2. Each is small enough for a floppy. Don't run
them from the floppy. Instead, copy both folders to a "Yamaha" folder on
the target system's hard drive, then simply run Setup from the folder
called Disk1. If prompted for the location of DATA2.CAB (or to insert
DISK2), and you aren't provided with a Browse button, Cancel the
installation, then move DATA2.CAB to the DISK1 folder. Then run Setup
again. (I can't figure out how it runs without actually installing, and
I ain't gonna do that, <s>.)

Here's the download:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/us/support/driver/sax/95v2343.exe

or
http://tinyurl.com/4a2v4

--

> > Girl, you *need* a CD burner if you want to do the kinds of things
> > you're getting into.
>
> BOy, you is *so* right.
> I flipping well have one on a table behind me but the damn thing
> has given up the ghost;;;; something to do with its mechanical
> side.
> I have a 'borrowed' one in the house as of 'now'. I have it for
> a couple of days only but will make use of it as much as possible,
> especially regarding my paranoia in putting on xp on my vacant
> Ddrive.......... can now back up my whole Edrive of which is
> what has been my main issue/problem the whole way through.
>
> many thanks for looking for the stripped-down version, because it
> will take my non-mechanical mind a while to figure out how to put in
> the borrowed burner regarding Jumpers and Master/Slave etc.
>
> thanks gary
>
> regards Jane

Yes, thank you Mostly Me,
I had forgotton about that function.
I now remember it from college although not much
time was spent on the topic.
I will go to the site and learn about Spanning.

regards Jane

> jane wrote:
>
> > My next problem is getting the file (of which is also an exe) to
> > the new computer. It doesnt have internet and I dont own a burner.
>
> You can use a zip program to "span" it across a couple of floppies.
>
> Winzip will work just fine. http://www.winzip.com/
>
> How to span files using Winzip:
> http://www.winzip.com/xspan.htm
>
> Winzip is not free, but it does have a free 21-day evaluation period
> that will allow you enough time to do that.
>
> There might be a free zip utility that can do it also, but I haven't
> used any of them so I couldn't tell you for sure.
>
> MM

Oh well,
next batter up.

regards Jane

oh, I do have winzip

"Hi Brian,
The last 5 or so posts have been a wealth regarding how to get
the necessaries over to the other computer.
Yes, I have winzip on mine, and I've just found a 'zipped' version
of Winzip itself on my computer.... it is 1.35meg and may just
fit on a floppy.

During today and tonight, I realised that perhaps I am going about
this whole thing the wrong way.
(especially after todays lesson using Gdisk and etc.)
No one here yet has suggested I simply take the drive out of the
other/new machine and plant it onto mine and then make the necessary
adjustments.
(its okay, I only just thought about it myself considering the other
machine is sitting on our coffee table with the sides off due to trying
a second hard-drive of which is also only 2gig)

I guess this is all relates to yet another rung up the learning ladder
whereby I manually put a separate hdd into my computer and set it
up as a slave.(oo but that word sounds so dominant and nasty).
I must admit, I havent yet done this and I know it involves pulling out
the thingy from the hdd and putting it into a slot that designates 'slave'
so that my computer will see it as something that is secondary to its
norm.
If I do manage (with your help) to get this done, could I then just
transfer stuff from one hdd to the other? sort of like by-passing
the need for a cd-burner in this particular situation?

thanks, from a very hot sth australia at the moment.....
(we are sweltering)

regards Jane

> "Hi Brian,
<snip></snip>
> No one here yet has suggested I simply take the drive out of the
> other/new machine and plant it onto mine and then make the necessary
> adjustments.
> (its okay, I only just thought about it myself considering the other
> machine is sitting on our coffee table with the sides off due to trying
> a second hard-drive of which is also only 2gig)

Perhaps no one here suggested it because we all have burners and dragging
drives around isn't common just to transfer files.

> I guess this is all relates to yet another rung up the learning ladder
> whereby I manually put a separate hdd into my computer and set it
> up as a slave.(oo but that word sounds so dominant and nasty).
> I must admit, I havent yet done this and I know it involves pulling out
> the thingy from the hdd and putting it into a slot that designates 'slave'
> so that my computer will see it as something that is secondary to its
> norm.
> If I do manage (with your help) to get this done, could I then just
> transfer stuff from one hdd to the other? sort of like by-passing
> the need for a cd-burner in this particular situation?

Can do and very plausible. If you connect the drive to an existing ribbon
cable that has another drive the drive your connecting goes on the "middle"
connector. Set the original drive as Master and the added drive as Slave.
Most drives have a digram on top for jumper settings and/or letters on the
board by the pins designating jumper settings where you connect the jumper .

If you have an open IDE channel connect the added drive to it and set it as
single.

Either way the original should be seen as the drive from which to boot and
you can copy away to your hearts content.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

!! PUT THOSE SIDES BACK ON !!