WIN98SE INSTALLATION FAILURE

I had to reformat my Quantum hdd becos I suspected it was in areal bad shape.
Then I started reinstallling Win98SE using the startup disk. On typing set up
at the command prompt, the setup window came up; all was well up to this
stage. At the "Preparing to run Win98 setup" stage, the progress indicator
went up to 90% and remained there forever. I moved the mouse and the pointer
moved ok; it meant it hadn't hang up so I waited but nothing happened. I
turned it off and put it back on and started reinstallation afresh. This time
the indicator went up to 50% and stopped there. I did it again and it stopped
at 31%, then 28% etc. I see a downward trend in the installation progress.
What does this mean? Could it be a pointer to a dying hdd? Why exactly is the
operating system behaving like that? I would appreciate some good help from
you, friends. Thanx.

It has to be good help?

http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
This first has it all, but..
(a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
(b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
(c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
available to install afterwards. Here...
http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such that
they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

"Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
drive, but "hexff" says it better.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,