Ducins Window

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 26, 2005 9:17:03 AM

We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
it??
--
Thanks!
Parshooter11

More about : ducins window

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:57:02 PM

Can it be a Screen Saver...?...

Turn off Screen Saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Parshooter11" <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
tool bar
| across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left
hand
| corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get
rid of
| it??
| --
| Thanks!
| Parshooter11
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:04:01 PM

For me that sounds as a virus.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
<Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
>across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
>corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
>it??
February 27, 2005 11:09:10 PM

Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
>across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
>corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
>it??

Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.

It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top bar
and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.

This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked with 3
different AV programs.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

February 27, 2005 11:09:11 PM

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=DUCINS
GG reports it has happened in France & on some WinME machines. It may
have to do with a firewall-- Norton or Adoron.

--
| Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
|
| >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
tool bar
| >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper
left hand
| >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we
get rid of
| >it??
|
| Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.
|
| It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top bar
| and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.
|
| This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked with 3
| different AV programs.
|
| Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.
|

| Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
| --
| Microsoft MVP
| On-Line Help Computer Service
| http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
|
| "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:09:11 PM

According to a Google search, it's only just starting to be seen by
others, also. Considering the spate of computers going haywire I've run
into in family and client machines over the several weeks, I'm beginning
to believe in a conspiracy-controlled, coordinated attack of grand
proportions. But then, days spent fixing balky machines and nights spent
debugging scripts, with little sleep in between, can make one just a wee
bit paranoid...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
tool bar
> >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper
left hand
> >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we
get rid of
> >it??
>
> Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.
>
> It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top bar
> and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.
>
> This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked with 3
> different AV programs.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

February 28, 2005 5:11:21 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> According to a Google search, it's only just starting to be seen by
> others, also. Considering the spate of computers going haywire I've
run
> into in family and client machines over the several weeks, I'm
beginning
> to believe in a conspiracy-controlled, coordinated attack of grand
> proportions. But then, days spent fixing balky machines and nights
spent
> debugging scripts, with little sleep in between, can make one just a
wee
> bit paranoid...
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
> tool bar
> > >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper
> left hand
> > >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we
> get rid of
> > >it??
> >
> > Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.
> >
> > It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top
bar
> > and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.
> >
> > This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked
with 3
> > different AV programs.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.
> >

> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP
> > On-Line Help Computer Service
> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >
> > "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat
much."

This is very strange to google this problem and the posts are all
within the last couple of days. I have Win98 and Norton. No
commercial firewall. The only thing I had done recently was slide in a
new card to hold a memory card, but judging from the posts above this
probably has nothing to do with it.
Weird.

Jim
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:29:31 AM

> But you only run corporate versions, yes?

I take the 5th! NIS isn't distributed in a corporate version, AFAIK the
closest is Client Security.

Out of curiosity I chose to use a 98SE machine as a sacrificial lamb which
had NIS 2004 installed.
Started by Ghosting C: (Main OS), D: (Apps) and E: (Data).
Uninstalled NIS/NAV 2004 and rebooted.
Cleared out the Temp, TIF and Cookies.
Ran RegCommander along with RegEdit to search out/destroy any remaining
NIS/NAV entries and rebooted.
Copied NIS 2005 CD to F:, ran Setup and rebooted.
Bypassed activation, setup the firewall and ran live update.

During the install of the updates out popped the DUCINS~1 DOS screen that is
a wonder to many so I veer away from the reboot button.
I searched high and low using many different search terms and came up empty.
Rebooted and ran LU once more with no reappearance of the DOS window.

I decided to have a look-see in an XP SP2 box w/NIS 2004.
Lo and behold there sits DUCINS~1.EXE-37DAA82F.pf in the Prefetch folder.
So's I open it in Notepad and The first line on page 1 has:
SCCA ªA D U C I N S ~ 1 . E X E

and on page 213 I find:

\ D E V I C E \ H A R D D I S K V O L U M E 1 \ D O C U M E N T S A N D
S E T T I N G S \ A L L U S E R S \ A P P L I C A T I O N D A T A \ S Y
M A N T E C \ L I V E U P D A T E \ D O W N L O A D S \ E X I T E M 5 0 3 2
_ A V E N G E $ 2 0 1 . 5 $ 2 0 M I C R O D E F S 2 $ 2 0 N A V 2 0 0 4 _ M
I C R O D E F S B . C U R D E F S _ S Y M A L L L A N G U A G E S \ D U C I
N S ~ 1 . E X E

So's I head off to that folder and find:
avenge$201.5$20microdefs2$20nav2004_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip

Opening the .zip reveals 3 files, liveupdt.grd, liveupdt.sig and
liveupdt.tri.
The contents of liveupdt.tri are:
[LiveUpdate]
Legal=Copyright 1995-2000 (c) Symantec Corporation
LastModified=20050303 11:54AM
Type0=Updates
Type1=Add-Ons
Type2=Documentation

[Item2088]
ItemSeqName=VirusDef
ItemSeqData=2005030208
FileName=enncurd2.x86
Size=71772
ActionItem=NAVCURD2.DIS
TypeName=Updates
ItemName=Virus Definitions
ItemDetails=Norton AntiVirus Definitions
Platform=x86
NAVPATCH=FALSE

[ExItem5032]
ItemSeqName=LiveUpdate
ItemSeqData=20050217
FileName=duc.x86
Size=255341
ActionItem=DUC.DIS
TypeName=Updates
ItemName=Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 NAV2004
ItemDetails=Disk space check for virus definitions.
Platform=x86
LUVersion=2.5.0.0
IncrementalPackage=FALSE

Hope this helps put the concerned at ease. If anyone that matters really
cares to see the files mentioned, I'll be happy to forward them or post em
to a page on my site.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:29:32 AM

So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a glitch in
Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch of late, a
DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor when you choose
to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o LfUtyUIFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> ActionItem=NAVCURD2.DIS
> TypeName=Updates
> ItemName=Virus Definitions
> ItemDetails=Norton AntiVirus Definitions
> Platform=x86
> NAVPATCH=FALSE
>
> [ExItem5032]
> ItemSeqName=LiveUpdate
> ItemSeqData=20050217
> FileName=duc.x86
> Size=255341
> ActionItem=DUC.DIS
> TypeName=Updates
> ItemName=Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 NAV2004
> ItemDetails=Disk space check for virus definitions.
> Platform=x86
> LUVersion=2.5.0.0
> IncrementalPackage=FALSE
>
> Hope this helps put the concerned at ease. If anyone that matters
really
> cares to see the files mentioned, I'll be happy to forward them or

March 5, 2005 6:23:07 AM

> So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a glitch in
> Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch of late, a
> DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor when you choose
> to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."

Yeppers. I'm in contact with a tech from Symantec at the moment and will
fill all in when done with email tag and after probably having a name or two
in which I'll be calling the tech.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:36:46 PM

I'll make a Master Post out of you yet, Brian A!

--
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a glitch in
| > Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch of late,
| > DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor when you
choose
| > to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."
|
| Yeppers. I'm in contact with a tech from Symantec at the moment and
will
| fill all in when done with email tag and after probably having a name
or two
| in which I'll be calling the tech.
|

| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 5:28:57 PM

"user1435" wrote:
> > So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a
> glitch in
> > Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch
> of late, a
> > DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor
> when you choose
> > to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."
>
> Yeppers. I'm in contact with a tech from Symantec at the
> moment and will
> fill all in when done with email tag and after probably having
> a name or two
> in which I'll be calling the tech.
>

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I also have been seeing the ducins~1 window for about the last week.
Have disabled liveupdate to see if ducins goes away. Too soon to
tell. It’s funny how a week ago, a google search showed no results
relating to this, and now there are several.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Ducins-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=864610
!