Ducins Window

We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
it??
--
Thanks!
Parshooter11

    Can it be a Screen Saver...?...

    Turn off Screen Saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Parshooter11" <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
    tool bar
    | across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left
    hand
    | corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get
    rid of
    | it??
    | --
    | Thanks!
    | Parshooter11

    For me that sounds as a virus.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
    >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
    >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
    >it??

    Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a tool bar
    >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper left hand
    >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we get rid of
    >it??

    Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.

    It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top bar
    and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.

    This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked with 3
    different AV programs.

    Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=DUCINS
    GG reports it has happened in France & on some WinME machines. It may
    have to do with a firewall-- Norton or Adoron.

    --
    | Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    |
    | >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
    tool bar
    | >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper
    left hand
    | >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we
    get rid of
    | >it??
    |
    | Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.
    |
    | It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top bar
    | and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.
    |
    | This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked with 3
    | different AV programs.
    |
    | Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.
    |

    | Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | --
    | Microsoft MVP
    | On-Line Help Computer Service
    | http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    |
    | "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

    According to a Google search, it's only just starting to be seen by
    others, also. Considering the spate of computers going haywire I've run
    into in family and client machines over the several weeks, I'm beginning
    to believe in a conspiracy-controlled, coordinated attack of grand
    proportions. But then, days spent fixing balky machines and nights spent
    debugging scripts, with little sleep in between, can make one just a wee
    bit paranoid...

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > According to a Google search, it's only just starting to be seen by
    > others, also. Considering the spate of computers going haywire I've
    run
    > into in family and client machines over the several weeks, I'm
    beginning
    > to believe in a conspiracy-controlled, coordinated attack of grand
    > proportions. But then, days spent fixing balky machines and nights
    spent
    > debugging scripts, with little sleep in between, can make one just a
    wee
    > bit paranoid...
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Parshooter11 <Parshooter11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >We have a floating "black" window all of a sudden coming up with a
    > tool bar
    > > >across the top...it has the Microsoft "puzzle piece" in the upper
    > left hand
    > > >corner...it comes and goes by itself...what is wrong and how do we
    > get rid of
    > > >it??
    > >
    > > Ran into this same situation yesterday on a client's machince.
    > >
    > > It is a DOS window that opens, with the name DUCINS~1 on the top
    bar
    > > and no visible content. The window closes in a few seconds.
    > >
    > > This computer has been cleaned of all spyware and virus checked
    with 3
    > > different AV programs.
    > >
    > > Any ideas as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.
    > >

    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat
    much."

    This is very strange to google this problem and the posts are all
    within the last couple of days. I have Win98 and Norton. No
    commercial firewall. The only thing I had done recently was slide in a
    new card to hold a memory card, but judging from the posts above this
    probably has nothing to do with it.
    Weird.

    Jim

    > But you only run corporate versions, yes?

    I take the 5th! NIS isn't distributed in a corporate version, AFAIK the
    closest is Client Security.

    Out of curiosity I chose to use a 98SE machine as a sacrificial lamb which
    had NIS 2004 installed.
    Started by Ghosting C: (Main OS), D: (Apps) and E: (Data).
    Uninstalled NIS/NAV 2004 and rebooted.
    Cleared out the Temp, TIF and Cookies.
    Ran RegCommander along with RegEdit to search out/destroy any remaining
    NIS/NAV entries and rebooted.
    Copied NIS 2005 CD to F:, ran Setup and rebooted.
    Bypassed activation, setup the firewall and ran live update.

    During the install of the updates out popped the DUCINS~1 DOS screen that is
    a wonder to many so I veer away from the reboot button.
    I searched high and low using many different search terms and came up empty.
    Rebooted and ran LU once more with no reappearance of the DOS window.

    I decided to have a look-see in an XP SP2 box w/NIS 2004.
    Lo and behold there sits DUCINS~1.EXE-37DAA82F.pf in the Prefetch folder.
    So's I open it in Notepad and The first line on page 1 has:
    SCCA ªA D U C I N S ~ 1 . E X E

    and on page 213 I find:

    \ D E V I C E \ H A R D D I S K V O L U M E 1 \ D O C U M E N T S A N D
    S E T T I N G S \ A L L U S E R S \ A P P L I C A T I O N D A T A \ S Y
    M A N T E C \ L I V E U P D A T E \ D O W N L O A D S \ E X I T E M 5 0 3 2
    _ A V E N G E $ 2 0 1 . 5 $ 2 0 M I C R O D E F S 2 $ 2 0 N A V 2 0 0 4 _ M
    I C R O D E F S B . C U R D E F S _ S Y M A L L L A N G U A G E S \ D U C I
    N S ~ 1 . E X E

    So's I head off to that folder and find:
    avenge$201.5$20microdefs2$20nav2004_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip

    Opening the .zip reveals 3 files, liveupdt.grd, liveupdt.sig and
    liveupdt.tri.
    The contents of liveupdt.tri are:
    [LiveUpdate]
    Legal=Copyright 1995-2000 (c) Symantec Corporation
    LastModified=20050303 11:54AM
    Type0=Updates
    Type1=Add-Ons
    Type2=Documentation

    [Item2088]
    ItemSeqName=VirusDef
    ItemSeqData=2005030208
    FileName=enncurd2.x86
    Size=71772
    ActionItem=NAVCURD2.DIS
    TypeName=Updates
    ItemName=Virus Definitions
    ItemDetails=Norton AntiVirus Definitions
    Platform=x86
    NAVPATCH=FALSE

    [ExItem5032]
    ItemSeqName=LiveUpdate
    ItemSeqData=20050217
    FileName=duc.x86
    Size=255341
    ActionItem=DUC.DIS
    TypeName=Updates
    ItemName=Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 NAV2004
    ItemDetails=Disk space check for virus definitions.
    Platform=x86
    LUVersion=2.5.0.0
    IncrementalPackage=FALSE

    Hope this helps put the concerned at ease. If anyone that matters really
    cares to see the files mentioned, I'll be happy to forward them or post em
    to a page on my site.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a glitch in
    Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch of late, a
    DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor when you choose
    to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a glitch in
    > Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch of late, a
    > DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor when you choose
    > to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."

    Yeppers. I'm in contact with a tech from Symantec at the moment and will
    fill all in when done with email tag and after probably having a name or two
    in which I'll be calling the tech.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    I'll make a Master Post out of you yet, Brian A!

    --

    "user1435" wrote:
    > > So what you're saying is that these little DOS boxes are a
    > glitch in
    > > Norton's automatic updating--not unlike my favorite glitch
    > of late, a
    > > DOS box you see at the end of installing ETrust EZ Armor
    > when you choose
    > > to reboot. It's titled, "Should not see this..."
    >
    > Yeppers. I'm in contact with a tech from Symantec at the
    > moment and will
    > fill all in when done with email tag and after probably having
    > a name or two
    > in which I'll be calling the tech.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    I also have been seeing the ducins~1 window for about the last week.
    Have disabled liveupdate to see if ducins goes away. Too soon to
    tell. It’s funny how a week ago, a google search showed no results
    relating to this, and now there are several.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Ducins-Window-ftopict270423.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=864610

Microsoft Windows