In 98SE should I allow DOS -- Access (???)

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In the advanced MS-DOS settings I am allowed to let MS-DOS have Direct Access
to Windows. What are the advantages and disadvantages to giving MS-DOS this
capability. It is the fourth option in the advanced configuration settings.
The other three are already checked. Thanks in advance for your help.

It's blurb says: "Specifies whether this MS-DOS-based program will be
able to detect the presence of Windows. Some MS-DOS-based programs will
not run or will lose functionality if they detect Windows.
If you want to hide Windows from this MS-DOS-based program, make sure
this check box is selected. If you are not sure, or you want to run
Windows-based programs from this MS-DOS-based program, click to clear
this check box.".

Mine are all UNchecked, clear, just as they were on the day they were
born.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
| In the advanced MS-DOS settings I am allowed to let MS-DOS have Direct
Access
| to Windows. What are the advantages and disadvantages to giving
MS-DOS this
| capability. It is the fourth option in the advanced configuration
settings.
| The other three are already checked. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your input, PCR. I have checked the first three boxes to allow
more compatibility with my DOS programs. Thanks for your input, anyway.

:
: Mine are all UNchecked, clear, just as they were on the day they were
: born.
:
:
: --
: Thanks or Good Luck,
: There may be humor in this post, and,
: Naturally, you will not sue,
: should things get worse after this,
: PCR
: pcrrcp@netzero.net
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:%236Py0yCHFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: | In the advanced MS-DOS settings I am allowed to let MS-DOS have Direct
: Access
: | to Windows. What are the advantages and disadvantages to giving
: MS-DOS this
: | capability. It is the fourth option in the advanced configuration
: settings.
: | The other three are already checked. Thanks in advance for your help.
: |
: |
:
:

Do you mean direct disk access?

"WARNING: Although some MS-DOS-based programs require direct disk access,
most do not. Use this option with caution. Using this option can allow an
MS-DOS-based program to destroy long filename support in Windows. "

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=134400
General Tips for Using MS-DOS Mode
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> In the advanced MS-DOS settings I am allowed to let MS-DOS have Direct
> Access
> to Windows. What are the advantages and disadvantages to giving MS-DOS
> this
> capability. It is the fourth option in the advanced configuration
> settings.
> The other three are already checked. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Richard. That is what I meant. I will read the article. I knew not
to check that box. I have the other 3 boxes checked and warning flags went
up after I read that notice. Do any of the other three boxes cause problems
with Windows?

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
[...]
: >
: >