I am still having mouse problems in safe mode in 98SE att:..

When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the mouse.
Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help ensure my
computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe mode in
XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
14 answers Last reply
More about mouse problems safe mode 98se

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message

    > When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    mouse.
    > Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    help.
    > I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
    > full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans.

    1. Does your first point (to MS-DOS mode) mean you
    need to use the mouse and have not loaded its DOS
    driver (usually MOUSE.COM sometimes LMOUSE.COM) ?
    This is usually done via AUTOEXEC.BAT but Win98
    provides other ways.
    2. When you boot Win98 in Safe Mode your mouse
    should be activated in a simple way (no double clicks
    possible) without needing any special Win98 mouse drivers.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Yes, I want to use my mouse in DOS. I need to check the error message.
    Mikhael was working with me on loading a DOS mouse driver --- version 9. I
    hope he sees my post. I need help in editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat
    to allow this ability and I used to have it this way before I formatted my
    computer and forgot how I had it configured. Thanks for responding, Don
    Phillipson.

    :
    : > When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    : mouse.
    : > Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    : help.
    : > I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
    : > full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans.
    :
    : 1. Does your first point (to MS-DOS mode) mean you
    : need to use the mouse and have not loaded its DOS
    : driver (usually MOUSE.COM sometimes LMOUSE.COM) ?
    : This is usually done via AUTOEXEC.BAT but Win98
    : provides other ways.
    : 2. When you boot Win98 in Safe Mode your mouse
    : should be activated in a simple way (no double clicks
    : possible) without needing any special Win98 mouse drivers.
    :
    : --
    : Don Phillipson
    : Carlsbad Springs
    : (Ottawa, Canada)
    :
    :
    :
    :

    Get a mouse with a tail and you shouldn't have a problem in DOS mode.

    > Yes, I want to use my mouse in DOS. I need to check the error message.
    > Mikhael was working with me on loading a DOS mouse driver --- version 9.
    > hope he sees my post. I need help in editing the config.sys and
    autoexec.bat
    > to allow this ability and I used to have it this way before I formatted my
    > computer and forgot how I had it configured. Thanks for responding, Don
    > Phillipson.
    >
    > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > : news:e8r7s0CHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > :
    > : > When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    > : mouse.
    > : > Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all
    your
    > : help.
    > : > I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow
    for
    > : > full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans.
    > :
    > : 1. Does your first point (to MS-DOS mode) mean you
    > : need to use the mouse and have not loaded its DOS
    > : driver (usually MOUSE.COM sometimes LMOUSE.COM) ?
    > : This is usually done via AUTOEXEC.BAT but Win98
    > : provides other ways.
    > : 2. When you boot Win98 in Safe Mode your mouse
    > : should be activated in a simple way (no double clicks
    > : possible) without needing any special Win98 mouse drivers.
    > :
    > : --
    > : Don Phillipson
    > : Carlsbad Springs
    > : (Ottawa, Canada)
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > :

    Thanks for no help. The joke was in poor taste but I see that you are trying
    to lighten the mood.

    "Muddle" <simmons@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    : Get a mouse with a tail and you shouldn't have a problem in DOS mode.
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:e6BVPRDHFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > Yes, I want to use my mouse in DOS. I need to check the error message.
    : > Mikhael was working with me on loading a DOS mouse driver --- version 9.
    : I
    : > hope he sees my post. I need help in editing the config.sys and
    : autoexec.bat
    : > to allow this ability and I used to have it this way before I formatted
    my
    : > computer and forgot how I had it configured. Thanks for responding, Don
    : > Phillipson.
    : >
    : > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    : > news:u9mzZHDHFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : > : news:e8r7s0CHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : > :
[...]
    : > : --
    : > : Don Phillipson
    : > : Carlsbad Springs
    : > : (Ottawa, Canada)
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    Dan,

    (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.

    (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    MOUSE.EXE?

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the mouse.
    >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
    >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help ensure my
    >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe mode in
    >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.

    "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    : Dan,
    :
    : (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    : click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.

    : LH MOUSE.COM /S70

    In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"

    : (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    : MOUSE.EXE?
    :
    : C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    :
    Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

    : ======
    : On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
    :
    : >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    mouse.
    : >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    help.
    : >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
    : >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help ensure
    my
    : >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe mode
    in
    : >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
    : >
    :

    Try adding either:
    lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.sys to config.sys

    or

    lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.com to autoexec.bat
    or
    lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.exe to autoexec.bat

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > : Dan,
    > :
    > : (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    > : click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    >
    > : LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    >
    > In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    >
    > : (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    > : MOUSE.EXE?
    > :
    > : C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    > :
    > Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > : http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > : Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > : Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > : ======
    > : On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
    > :
    > : >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    > mouse.
    > : >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    > help.
    > : >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow
    > for
    > : >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help
    > ensure
    > my
    > : >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe
    > mode
    > in
    > : >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
    > : >
    > :

    You do realize that the mouse only works in DOS apps and not at the main DOS
    screen?

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message

    > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > : Dan,
    > :
    > : (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    > : click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    >
    > : LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    >
    > In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    >
    > : (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    > : MOUSE.EXE?
    > :
    > : C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    > :
    > Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > : http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > : Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > : Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > : ======
    > : On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
    > :
    > : >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    > mouse.
    > : >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    > help.
    > : >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow
    > for
    > : >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help
    > ensure
    > my
    > : >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe
    > mode
    > in
    > : >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
    > : >
    > :

    Yes, of course. Thanks for making the statement to make sure I knew.
    (smile)

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    : You do realize that the mouse only works in DOS apps and not at the main
    DOS
    : screen?
    :
    : --
    :
    : Brian A.
    :
    : Conflicts start where information lacks.
    : > : ======
[...]
    : > : >
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :

    Dan,

    The name of the driver is
    mouse.EXE
    while you wrote it as:
    mouse.COM

    So replace this line with simple

    LH MOUSE.EXE /S70

    (C:\WINDOWS folder is in the PATH variable -- so this driver will be
    found automatically), or using the full path to this driver:

    LH C:\WINDOWS\MOUSE.EXE /S70

    No need to have this driver in two folders; so if it is the only file in
    C:\MSMOUSE folder -- this folder can be deleted.

    BTW, you ask in subject about "mouse problems in safe mode" -- while the
    problem is not in Safe mode, but in Command Prompt ("pure" DOS) mode.

    --
    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:40:45 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >: Dan,
    >:
    >: (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    >: click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    >
    >: LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    >
    >In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    >
    >: (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    >: MOUSE.EXE?
    >:
    >: C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    >:
    >Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    >
    >: ======
    >: On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
    >:
    >: >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    >mouse.
    >: >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    >help.
    >: >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow for
    >: >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help ensure
    >my
    >: >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe mode
    >in
    >: >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
    >: >
    >:

    Thanks for your help, Mikhail. I have made the adjustment and now I will
    test to see if it works.

    "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    : Dan,
    :
    : The name of the driver is
    : mouse.EXE
    : while you wrote it as:
    : mouse.COM
    :
    : >:
    : >: (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can right
    : >: click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    : >
    : >: LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    : >
    : >In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    : >
    : >: (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    : >: MOUSE.EXE?
    : >:
    : >: C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    : >: ======
    : >:
    : >: >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating to the
    : >mouse.
    : >: >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for all your
    : >help.
    : >: >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to allow
    for
    : >: >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help
    ensure
    : >my
    : >: >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in safe
    mode
    : >in
    : >: >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in NTFS.
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >
    :

    Make up your mind, Brian A!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Try adding either:
    | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.sys to config.sys
    |
    | or
    |
    | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.com to autoexec.bat
    | or
    | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.exe to autoexec.bat
    |

    | --
    |
    | Brian A.
    |
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    |

    | "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    | > : Dan,
    | > :
    | > : (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can
    right
    | > : click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    | >
    | > : LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    | >
    | > In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    | >
    | > : (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    | > : MOUSE.EXE?
    | > :
    | > : C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    | > :
    | > Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate
    it.

    | > Mikhail Zhilin
    | > : http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    | > : Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    | > : Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    | > : ======
    | > : On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec>
    wrote:
    | > :
    | > : >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating
    to the
    | > mouse.
    | > : >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for
    all your
    | > help.
    | > : >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to
    allow
    | > for
    | > : >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help
    | > ensure
    | > my
    | > : >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in
    safe
    | > mode
    | > in
    | > : >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in
    NTFS.
    | > : >
    | > :

    I'm not the one that has to make up my mind, Dan is! I use command.com in
    the autoexec.bat, have never edited dosstart.bat and the mouse works fine in
    DOS.

    --

    > Make up your mind, Brian A!
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > | Try adding either:
    > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.sys to config.sys
    > |
    > | or
    > |
    > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.com to autoexec.bat
    > | or
    > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.exe to autoexec.bat
    > |

    > | --
    > |
    > | Brian A.
    > |
    > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > | "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    > | > : Dan,
    > | > :
    > | > : (a) Enter Windows folder, open Dosstart.bat in Notepad (you can
    > right
    > | > : click it -- Edit), and paste its content in your reply here.
    > | >
    > | > : LH MOUSE.COM /S70
    > | >
    > | > In exit to MS-DOS or when I run it -- it says "File Not Found"
    > | >
    > | > : (b) In what folder did you place Microsoft mouse DOS driver, i.e.
    > | > : MOUSE.EXE?
    > | > :
    > | > : C:\WINDOWS --and-- C:\MSMOUSE
    > | > :
    > | > Is it in the wrong place? (???) Thanks for your help. I appreciate
    > it.
    > | >
    > | > Mikhail Zhilin
    > | > : http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > | > : Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > | > : Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > | > : ======
    > | > : On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec>
    > wrote:
    > | > :
    > | > : >When I exit to MS-DOS mode it says I am missing a file relating
    > to the
    > | > mouse.
    > | > : >Please help especially Mikhail and PCR. Thanks in advance for
    > all your
    > | > help.
    > | > : >I want to be able to use a mouse in 98SE graphical safe mode to
    > allow
    > | > for
    > | > : >full antivirus scans and full anti-spyware scans. I want to help
    > | > ensure
    > | > my
    > | > : >computer remains safe. I have no problem using my two mice in
    > safe
    > | > mode
    > | > in
    > | > : >XPPRO of my dual-boot 98SE. 98SE is in Fat32 while XP PRO. is in
    > NTFS.
    > | > : >
    > | > :

    Well I will use your method, Brian A. if I cannot get this method to work.
    <smile> How is Comcast treating you? Cox Cable is doing well on my end.
    LOL!!

    : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : news:%23z6Et1VHFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : > Make up your mind, Brian A!
    : >
    : > --
    : > Thanks or Good Luck,
    : > There may be humor in this post, and,
    : > Naturally, you will not sue,
    : > should things get worse after this,
    : > PCR
    : > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    : > news:uhTt3yQHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > | Try adding either:
    : > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.sys to config.sys
    : > |
    : > | or
    : > |
    : > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.com to autoexec.bat
    : > | or
    : > | lh drive:\folderpath\mouse.exe to autoexec.bat
    : > |
    : > |
    : > | --
    : > |
    : > | Brian A.
    : > |
    : > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    : > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    : > |
    : > |
    : > | "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
[...]