windows can't starup curcer blinking on the black scerren

Hi

When starting the computer the win98 screen appers, then the black screen
with keybord text but then the curserer onley stands there blinking nothing
happens ...
is it a virus or driver problem ?
windows starts ok in safe mode.
in regedit under run is there at standart list over files/programs there
needet to be startetup ad a minimum
4 answers Last reply
More about windows starup curcer blinking black scerren

    It appears this happens at the time the autoexe.bat and config.sys are read.
    I have seen this occur when SoundBlaster DOS drivers are enabled in Device
    Manager and loaded. This is only a possibility and may not be your cause.

    In Safe Mode:
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter

    Under the General tab:
    Select "Selective Startup"
    Uncheck Autoexec.bat and Config.sys
    Click Apply and reboot.

    Does it boot to the desktop now?
    If so copy/paste the contents of the autoexec.bat and config.sys so we may
    have a look for any line/s that may be a problem.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "=?Utf-8?B?dGVhbW0=?=" <teamm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > When starting the computer the win98 screen appers, then the black
    > screen with keybord text but then the curserer onley stands there
    > blinking nothing happens ...
    > is it a virus or driver problem ?
    > windows starts ok in safe mode.
    > in regedit under run is there at standart list over files/programs
    > there needet to be startetup ad a minimum

    Try booting to command prompt only from the startup menu.
    Type "scanreg /restore"
    This will bring up a screen offering you a choice of previous saved
    registries. Pick one from an earlier date before you had the problem.
    Then reboot and see if you're OK.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    In answer to your second question: No, there are no items in the
    MSCONFIG Startup list that *must* be enabled in order for Windows to
    load successfully. You can disable all of them and Windows should start
    just fine. That *includes* the items found in Registry Run and
    RunServices keys (which are reflected in the MSCONFIG Startup tab.).

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "teamm" <teamm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > When starting the computer the win98 screen appers, then the black
    screen
    > with keybord text but then the curserer onley stands there blinking
    nothing
    > happens ...
    > is it a virus or driver problem ?
    > windows starts ok in safe mode.
    > in regedit under run is there at standart list over files/programs
    there
    > needet to be startetup ad a minimum

    I might try a Scandisk under that circumstance of a sluggish boot...

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "teamm" <teamm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi
    |
    | When starting the computer the win98 screen appers, then the black
    screen
    | with keybord text but then the curserer onley stands there blinking
    nothing
    | happens ...
    | is it a virus or driver problem ?
    | windows starts ok in safe mode.
    | in regedit under run is there at standart list over files/programs
    there
    | needet to be startetup ad a minimum

Microsoft Windows