Fonts problem

I have a couple of programs that do not display the font correctly in
the task bar at the top of the window nor in the status bar at the
bottom. Rather just a series of squarish zeros are displayed. I've just
been living with it as I'm familiar with the programs. These programs
displayed fine in a previous install of Win 98se. I have noticed the
problem since doing a clean install of W98se on a new hard drive.
Perhaps I'm missing a system font? Now I have installed a new (to me)
printer (Samsung 1430 laser) and it prints fine except when printing web
pages (Netscape7.1). Pages display correctly but I get a printed page of
zeros. This is a real PITA.

Is this a missing font problem? I have hesitated reinstalling windows
over the current install for fear of messing something up worse than it
is. Suggestions on how to isolate the problem?
Thanks
Mike
Win98se 500mhzAMD, 684mgRAM
2 answers Last reply
More about fonts problem

    See if any of these helps:
    Description of and Troubleshooting the Marlett TrueType Font
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q134861

    How to Install or Remove a Font
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314960

    Missing TrueType Fonts in Fonts Folder or Programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q133732

    How to Restore the Windows Default Fonts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q234749

    How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q254768

    Cannot Add or View Fonts, Windows Reports an Incorrect Number of Installed
    Fonts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312459

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Mike" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    >I have a couple of programs that do not display the font correctly in
    > the task bar at the top of the window nor in the status bar at the
    > bottom. Rather just a series of squarish zeros are displayed. I've just
    > been living with it as I'm familiar with the programs. These programs
    > displayed fine in a previous install of Win 98se. I have noticed the
    > problem since doing a clean install of W98se on a new hard drive.
    > Perhaps I'm missing a system font? Now I have installed a new (to me)
    > printer (Samsung 1430 laser) and it prints fine except when printing web
    > pages (Netscape7.1). Pages display correctly but I get a printed page of
    > zeros. This is a real PITA.
    >
    > Is this a missing font problem? I have hesitated reinstalling windows
    > over the current install for fear of messing something up worse than it
    > is. Suggestions on how to isolate the problem?
    > Thanks
    > Mike
    > Win98se 500mhzAMD, 684mgRAM

    (1) For the WEB pages, if you were using IE, I'd say... "Control Panel,
    Internet Options, Accessibility button", & try some of the "Ignore"
    boxes.

    (2) For the Taskbar & Status bar, try a new Theme or Scheme...

    To install Desktop Themes, if they are not already in the Control Panel
    or in the START menu...
    1. START, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup
    tab.
    2. Check "Desktop Themes"; click "Details"; check the themes you want;
    "OK" twice.
    3. Perhaps, re-boot.

    Some themes require "high color". To get "high color":
    1. Right click the Desktop & select Properties
    2. Click the "Settings" tab
    3. Use the "Colors" dropdown menu to select "high color"
    4. Be prepared. It may ask your permission to restart the computer.

    I understand that's best; however, it can also be done at: "R-Clk
    Desktop, Properties, Appearance tab, & select a different 'Scheme' in
    the dropdown selector". This will also get the fonts, colors, et al,
    right, across applications, without trying to micro-manage inside the
    "Item" dropdown menu, which one may live to regret.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Mike" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    | I have a couple of programs that do not display the font correctly in
    | the task bar at the top of the window nor in the status bar at the
    | bottom. Rather just a series of squarish zeros are displayed. I've
    just
    | been living with it as I'm familiar with the programs. These programs
    | displayed fine in a previous install of Win 98se. I have noticed the
    | problem since doing a clean install of W98se on a new hard drive.
    | Perhaps I'm missing a system font? Now I have installed a new (to me)
    | printer (Samsung 1430 laser) and it prints fine except when printing
    web
    | pages (Netscape7.1). Pages display correctly but I get a printed page
    of
    | zeros. This is a real PITA.
    |
    | Is this a missing font problem? I have hesitated reinstalling windows
    | over the current install for fear of messing something up worse than
    it
    | is. Suggestions on how to isolate the problem?
    | Thanks
    | Mike
    | Win98se 500mhzAMD, 684mgRAM

Font Windows