Fonts problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 26, 2005 7:05:51 PM

I have a couple of programs that do not display the font correctly in
the task bar at the top of the window nor in the status bar at the
bottom. Rather just a series of squarish zeros are displayed. I've just
been living with it as I'm familiar with the programs. These programs
displayed fine in a previous install of Win 98se. I have noticed the
problem since doing a clean install of W98se on a new hard drive.
Perhaps I'm missing a system font? Now I have installed a new (to me)
printer (Samsung 1430 laser) and it prints fine except when printing web
pages (Netscape7.1). Pages display correctly but I get a printed page of
zeros. This is a real PITA.

Is this a missing font problem? I have hesitated reinstalling windows
over the current install for fear of messing something up worse than it
is. Suggestions on how to isolate the problem?
Thanks
Mike
Win98se 500mhzAMD, 684mgRAM

More about : fonts problem

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 10:07:44 PM

See if any of these helps:
Description of and Troubleshooting the Marlett TrueType Font
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q134861

How to Install or Remove a Font
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314960

Missing TrueType Fonts in Fonts Folder or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q133732

How to Restore the Windows Default Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q234749

How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q254768

Cannot Add or View Fonts, Windows Reports an Incorrect Number of Installed
Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312459

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mike" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:o rmCO$FHFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have a couple of programs that do not display the font correctly in
> the task bar at the top of the window nor in the status bar at the
> bottom. Rather just a series of squarish zeros are displayed. I've just
> been living with it as I'm familiar with the programs. These programs
> displayed fine in a previous install of Win 98se. I have noticed the
> problem since doing a clean install of W98se on a new hard drive.
> Perhaps I'm missing a system font? Now I have installed a new (to me)
> printer (Samsung 1430 laser) and it prints fine except when printing web
> pages (Netscape7.1). Pages display correctly but I get a printed page of
> zeros. This is a real PITA.
>
> Is this a missing font problem? I have hesitated reinstalling windows
> over the current install for fear of messing something up worse than it
> is. Suggestions on how to isolate the problem?
> Thanks
> Mike
> Win98se 500mhzAMD, 684mgRAM

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:38:56 AM

(1) For the WEB pages, if you were using IE, I'd say... "Control Panel,
Internet Options, Accessibility button", & try some of the "Ignore"
boxes.

(2) For the Taskbar & Status bar, try a new Theme or Scheme...

To install Desktop Themes, if they are not already in the Control Panel
or in the START menu...
1. START, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup
tab.
2. Check "Desktop Themes"; click "Details"; check the themes you want;
"OK" twice.
3. Perhaps, re-boot.

Some themes require "high color". To get "high color":
1. Right click the Desktop & select Properties
2. Click the "Settings" tab
3. Use the "Colors" dropdown menu to select "high color"
4. Be prepared. It may ask your permission to restart the computer.

I understand that's best; however, it can also be done at: "R-Clk
Desktop, Properties, Appearance tab, & select a different 'Scheme' in
the dropdown selector". This will also get the fonts, colors, et al,
right, across applications, without trying to micro-manage inside the
"Item" dropdown menu, which one may live to regret.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

!