  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 26, 2005 11:37:42 PM

I have had an annoying problem for quite some time now. While not terribly
windows savvy, I did work with DOS quite a bit years ago.

My MSI PC is running win98se and always freezes or reboots when any thing
with sound is run, it even does it very occasionally when the windows sound
byte is run during boot up. It appears interrupt related, the busier the
machine the sooner it happens. If I kill all non essential tasks it can
take many minutes before a crash.

Any suggestions where to look would be much appreciated.

Cross posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk &
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion.

John.

More about : crash sound

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:45:26 AM

It may be a corrupted or incorrect sound driver.

Make sure you know the make/model of the adapter/chip and download/install
the latest drivers from the manufacturers support site per their
instructions.

If you still have trouble:
Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all sound devices in Device Manager.
Reboot.
Reinstall the drivers per the manufacturers instructions.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John Wilson" <E_John_WilsonNoJunk@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have had an annoying problem for quite some time now. While not terribly
> windows savvy, I did work with DOS quite a bit years ago.
>
> My MSI PC is running win98se and always freezes or reboots when any thing
> with sound is run, it even does it very occasionally when the windows
> sound
> byte is run during boot up. It appears interrupt related, the busier the
> machine the sooner it happens. If I kill all non essential tasks it can
> take many minutes before a crash.
>
> Any suggestions where to look would be much appreciated.
>

> Cross posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk &
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion.
>
> John.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:29:50 PM

If Brian's suggestions re: the drivers do not help, it may also be a hardware fault
in the sound card (or onboard sound circuitry, if you have integrated sound).
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John Wilson" <E_John_WilsonNoJunk@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have had an annoying problem for quite some time now. While not terribly
> windows savvy, I did work with DOS quite a bit years ago.
>
> My MSI PC is running win98se and always freezes or reboots when any thing
> with sound is run, it even does it very occasionally when the windows sound
> byte is run during boot up. It appears interrupt related, the busier the
> machine the sooner it happens. If I kill all non essential tasks it can
> take many minutes before a crash.
>
> Any suggestions where to look would be much appreciated.
>

> Cross posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk &
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion.
>
> John.

February 28, 2005 12:17:26 AM

Thanks to all who responded. Yes a corrupted sound driver (VIAUDIO.INF) for
on-motherboard sound. I now have had sound for over two hours while
emailing, browsing etc.

Thanks again, John.

"John Wilson" <E_John_WilsonNoJunk@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
I have had an annoying problem for quite some time now. While not terribly
windows savvy, I did work with DOS quite a bit years ago.

My MSI PC is running win98se and always freezes or reboots when any thing
with sound is run, it even does it very occasionally when the windows sound
byte is run during boot up. It appears interrupt related, the busier the
machine the sooner it happens. If I kill all non essential tasks it can
take many minutes before a crash.

Any suggestions where to look would be much appreciated.

Cross posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk &
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion.

John.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:17:27 AM

You're welcome, glad to hear all is back in sound order.

--

!