Win98SE *INSISTS* I join MSN

I've just finished re-installing from a legitimate, for-real, Win98SE
CDROM that has been lying around for a while. This is *NOT* multiple
illegal copies. The original machine the CDROM came with is now 100%
linux.

The first thing I want to do is to get critical security updates. I
click on Internet Explorer... and I get the "Welcome to MSN" dialog. I
click on Windows Update... and I get the "Welcome to MSN" dialog. I
click on Connect to the Internet... and I get the "Welcome to MSN"
dialog. It *INSISTS* on going through the dialog and looking for a
dialup modem and joining MSN.

Before anyone starts jumping to delusions...
- it is *NOT* connected to a dialup modem
- it *IS* connected to a broadband router/modem with NAT-ing (which is
the only reason I allow it to touch the internet)
- the network connection *IS* set up properly. From a DOS box, I *CAN*
ping my broadband ISP, and tracert to cnn.com and microsoft.com

Now what???

--
Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

Read here:

This is rather common with OEM copies of Windows.

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:

> The first thing I want to do is to get critical security updates. I
> click on Internet Explorer... and I get the "Welcome to MSN" dialog. I
> click on Windows Update... and I get the "Welcome to MSN" dialog. I
> click on Connect to the Internet... and I get the "Welcome to MSN"
> dialog. It *INSISTS* on going through the dialog and looking for a
> dialup modem and joining MSN.

> Now what???

First thing wake up from your "Linux naivety", what do you think, that
you are "root" on _your_ OS?
You face an OS that was designed in "Sit there, you idiot, we know what
is best for you!" fashion. (I was facing this behaviour when the 13
diskettes of Windows95 arrived, which made me to escape to Linux few
weeks later).
But I still use, repeat _use_, Windows98SE as a tool to perform things
in which it has for me advantage over apps in other enviroments.
But those are self confined and , God forbid, never touch the web.

Have fun and good luck

Stanislaw
Slack (and Win98) user from Ulladulla.

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message

> First thing wake up from your "Linux naivety", what do you think, that you
> are "root" on _your_ OS?
> You face an OS that was designed in "Sit there, you idiot, we know what is
> best for you!" fashion.

What a Crock O Cowchips. If that were the case then users wouldn't be able
to change anything whatsoever!!

> (I was facing this behaviour when the 13 diskettes of Windows95 arrived,
> which made me to escape to Linux few weeks later).

Then you didn't setup the OS to your liking or even bother researching how
to.

> But I still use, repeat _use_, Windows98SE as a tool to perform things in
> which it has for me advantage over apps in other enviroments.
> But those are self confined and , God forbid, never touch the web.

It appears to me that you don't bother using any security measures other
than isolation. If you think Linux is 100% shockproof then you're only
fooling yourself and others who bother to listen.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Brian A. wrote:

> Then you didn't setup the OS to your liking or even bother researching
> how to.

"Some say what they know, others know what they say."
DOS 2.11-->WFW 3.11 and doing work on them.

> It appears to me that you don't bother using any security measures other
> than isolation. If you think Linux is 100% shockproof then you're only
> fooling yourself and others who bother to listen.

And have the third-party "security measures" delivered every morning
together with fresh rolls and bottle of milk to my door so I can spend
my day in patching the holes in this "Swiss cheese"?
FYI, it is completely different enviroment in which YOU open the holes
YOU _want_ opened, which IS the Unix way. If you don't know how, don't
complain.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla

Don't feed me the hogwash on how secure you can make it by only opening
holes you wish to open <quote> And have the third-party "security measures"
delivered every morning together with fresh rolls and bottle of milk to my
door so I can spend my day in patching the holes in this "Swiss cheese"?.
</quote>

Linux has security issues in every OS flavor no different than other OS's
which they have archived along with patches on their security site.
http://security.linux.com/

How about them security issues for Slackware Linux in 2004:
http://www.slackware.com/security/list.php?l=slackware-security&y=2004

As for the Unix way which is a different bird altogether, if one is slack
on the way they set access modes and permission bits, then security is
questionable.

--

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:28:17 -0500, Richard G. Harper, <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
> Read here:
>
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-005
>
> This is rather common with OEM copies of Windows.

Thanks, registry edited and problem solved.

--

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:20:28 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto, <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote:

> First thing wake up from your "Linux naivety", what do you think,
> that you are "root" on _your_ OS? You face an OS that was designed
> in "Sit there, you idiot, we know what is best for you!" fashion. (I
> was facing this behaviour when the 13 diskettes of Windows95 arrived,
> which made me to escape to Linux few weeks later).

Bad programming is not restricted to one OS. This isn't the forum to
discuss it in detail, but it sounds like you've never had to struggle
with PAM in linux. When it comes to telling you what you can and cannot
do on your own account, PAM doesn't take a back seat to anybody. PAM has
many allegedly "wonderful" features. The most wonderful one is that it
can be uninstalled.

> But I still use, repeat _use_, Windows98SE as a tool to perform things
> in which it has for me advantage over apps in other enviroments.
> But those are self confined and , God forbid, never touch the web.

There happen to be internet radio sites that require Windows. For
them, I have a beat-up old 400 mhz Pentium II, running a legal WIn98SE.
It has no personal info on it all, and I'm not concerned if it gets
trashed.

I'll have to make a decision or two in June when MS support for
Win98SE expires. I'm kind of sad, because it was best-of-breed in the
9X series; a relatively "thin client" that could easily run in 64 megs
of RAM. It rarely ever blue-screened on me at work. Of course, I
didn't load it up with "email smiley icons", or "comet cursors", or a
bunch of "free" stuff.

--

Brian A. wrote:

> As for the Unix way which is a different bird altogether, if one is
> slack on the way they set access modes and permission bits, then
> security is questionable.

Do I hear an echo?

BTW Linux is Unix as far as security is concerned. The variations are
between different distributions which are built to appeal to segments of
public who want something that "just works". And the world is not build
like this!

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Glad I was able to make it through all the noise <G> and help you get it
solved.

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:28:17 -0500, Richard G. Harper,
> <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>> Read here:
>>
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-005
>>
>> This is rather common with OEM copies of Windows.
>
> Thanks, registry edited and problem solved.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No system is fully secure. That is a fact of life. You can use tools to
make your system more secure but there are vulnerabilities and there probably
will always be vulnerabilities.

:
[...]
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.
: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good news:

30 June 2006 [98, 98SE and ME expire] --- You have another year.

<smile> <let me know if you want the web-site that confirms this>

[...]

I had that exact same problem. I have two copies of win98se and I have
learned not to use the one that dumps that stupid msn icon on my
desktop and then knocks out my internet connection wizard and replaces
it with msn set up. (I have a tendancy to install windows back over
itself when I cock up big time and it tends to sort things out). I
simply installed windows back over itself using another win98se disk
(this gave me back my internet wizard when I right clicked on internet
explorer and then clicked on connections and then set up. Previously I
got a message saying internet connection wizard failed to load. )
However on clicking internet explorer the msn thing still came up. It
did not seem possible to uninstall it as it was not on the list within
add/remove and the destop icon was not a shortcut so I deleted it(I
have a system restore so I didn't worry too much). Then when I clicked
on internet explorer the wizard appeared as it should. My pc is not
currently on the net.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

I never mentioned anything contrary to what you mention. What happened, the
nieces drive you out of town?

--

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> No system is fully secure. That is a fact of life. You can use tools to
> make your system more secure but there are vulnerabilities and there
> probably
> will always be vulnerabilities.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> : "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
> : news:gpfUd.42$Zn.5413@news.optus.net.au...
> :
> : > First thing wake up from your "Linux naivety", what do you think, that
> you
> : > are "root" on _your_ OS?
> : > You face an OS that was designed in "Sit there, you idiot, we know
> what
> is
> : > best for you!" fashion.
> :
> : What a Crock O Cowchips. If that were the case then users wouldn't be
> able
> : to change anything whatsoever!!
> :
> : > (I was facing this behaviour when the 13 diskettes of Windows95
> arrived,
> : > which made me to escape to Linux few weeks later).
> :
> : Then you didn't setup the OS to your liking or even bother researching
> how
> : to.
> :
> : > But I still use, repeat _use_, Windows98SE as a tool to perform things
> in
> : > which it has for me advantage over apps in other enviroments.
> : > But those are self confined and , God forbid, never touch the web.
> :
> : It appears to me that you don't bother using any security measures
> other
> : than isolation. If you think Linux is 100% shockproof then you're only
> : fooling yourself and others who bother to listen.
> :
> :
> : --
> :
> : Brian A.
> :
> : Conflicts start where information lacks.
> : http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> :

You gotta be a politician! If not you should run for a position!

--

> Brian A. wrote:
>
>> As for the Unix way which is a different bird altogether, if one is slack
>> on the way they set access modes and permission bits, then security is
>> questionable.
>>

> Do I hear an echo?
>
> BTW Linux is Unix as far as security is concerned. The variations are
> between different distributions which are built to appeal to segments of
> public who want something that "just works". And the world is not build
> like this!
>
> Have fun
>
> Stanislaw.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I wanted everyone to know that as much as we try to make our computers and
networks secure there are always weaknesses. I was not trying to contradict
you.

: I never mentioned anything contrary to what you mention. What happened, the
: nieces drive you out of town?
:
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.
: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:%23HrvkAaHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > No system is fully secure. That is a fact of life. You can use tools to
: > make your system more secure but there are vulnerabilities and there
: > probably
: > will always be vulnerabilities.
: >
: > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
: > news:%23gy7DoOHFHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > : "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
: > : news:gpfUd.42$Zn.5413@news.optus.net.au...
: > :
[...]
: > : --
: > :
: > : Brian A.
: > :
: > : Conflicts start where information lacks.
: > : http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: > :
: >
: >
:

Da,mn, but I love this newsgroup.
btw, why wasnt the mention of using a different browser brought
up? Opera, Mozilla, & etc.
As quoted here, "it doesnt fix everything, but it helps".
Next avenue is the book of truth, it gets rid of agro once
understood.

regards Jane

> <smile> <let me know if you want the web-site that confirms this>
>
> "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
> <wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
> : On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:20:28 GMT, Stanislaw Flatto,
> <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote:
> :
> : > First thing wake up from your "Linux naivety", what do you think,
> : > that you are "root" on _your_ OS? You face an OS that was designed
> : > in "Sit there, you idiot, we know what is best for you!" fashion. (I
> : > was facing this behaviour when the 13 diskettes of Windows95 arrived,
> : > which made me to escape to Linux few weeks later).
> :
> : Bad programming is not restricted to one OS. This isn't the forum to
> : discuss it in detail, but it sounds like you've never had to struggle
> : with PAM in linux. When it comes to telling you what you can and cannot
> : do on your own account, PAM doesn't take a back seat to anybody. PAM
has
> : many allegedly "wonderful" features. The most wonderful one is that it
> : can be uninstalled.
> :
> : > But I still use, repeat _use_, Windows98SE as a tool to perform
things
> : > in which it has for me advantage over apps in other enviroments.
> : > But those are self confined and , God forbid, never touch the web.
> :
> : There happen to be internet radio sites that require Windows. For
> : them, I have a beat-up old 400 mhz Pentium II, running a legal WIn98SE.
> : It has no personal info on it all, and I'm not concerned if it gets
> : trashed.
> :
> : I'll have to make a decision or two in June when MS support for
> : Win98SE expires. I'm kind of sad, because it was best-of-breed in the
> : 9X series; a relatively "thin client" that could easily run in 64 megs
> : of RAM. It rarely ever blue-screened on me at work. Of course, I
> : didn't load it up with "email smiley icons", or "comet cursors", or a
> : bunch of "free" stuff.
> :
> : --
> : Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org
> : Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
> : the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Next avenue is the book of truth, it gets rid of agro once
understood."

Huh, what do you mean Jane?

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
[...]

Jane, have you fully updated Outlook Express? I noticed it says you have
version x.1106 while I have version x.1437? I just want to help to make sure
your computer is secure in this day and age. Have a great night.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:25:22 -0700, Dan, <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
> Good news:
>
> 30 June 2006 [98, 98SE and ME expire] --- You have another year.
>
> <smile> <let me know if you want the web-site that confirms this>

Yes please.

--

> > let me know if you want the web-site that confirms this
>
> Yes please.

Win 98, Wind 98 SE, and Win Millennium Support
Internet Explorer support on Win 98, Win 98 SE, and Windows Me
Windows Media Player and other Win 98, Win 98 SE,
and Windows Me Components

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

Microsoft Windows 98

http://support.microsoft.com/w98

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Hugh! I was unable to find the site(s) and I appreciate you posting
them here for my benefit and Dustin's benefit. You really helped me out.
<smile>

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
:
: "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
: <wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote in message
: news:38nihuF5qf8i0U2@individual.net...
: > >