Deleting registry key

Hello All

I want to be able to delete a certain registry key periodically,
specifically this one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News

Is there a way to do this directly from, say, the "run' command or elsewhere
without going into regedit?

I can write an AutoIt script, but I don't know how to isolate this key. Even
if I write a script to open regedit and search the keys, I can't seem to
isolate this specific key (not to mention that searches take forever).

I see on the web the ability to delete keys using batch commands. But I
don't know who to write one.

Any ideas here?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Why not just "delete" the rules in the key Only, removing any wrong entry
could kill OE.
Export the key to your desktop.
Right click and select Edit from the popup menu.
Delete the rule entries and Save.
Double click to merge into the registry.

It may be wiser to change the value for the rule. Perhaps someone else can
help you with that.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
wrote in message news:eQckbsOHFHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello All
>
> I want to be able to delete a certain registry key periodically,
> specifically this one:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Rules\News
>
> Is there a way to do this directly from, say, the "run' command or
> elsewhere
> without going into regedit?
>
> I can write an AutoIt script, but I don't know how to isolate this key.
> Even
> if I write a script to open regedit and search the keys, I can't seem to
> isolate this specific key (not to mention that searches take forever).
>
> I see on the web the ability to delete keys using batch commands. But I
> don't know who to write one.
>
> Any ideas here?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
> back
> to the newsgroup.

try creating a .reg file with this in it...

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\<your id>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]

the "-" causes the key to be deleted.

Lar.

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> [...]

> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> > Express\5.0\Rules\News
> >
> > Is there a way to do this directly from, say, the "run' command or
> > elsewhere
> > without going into regedit?
> >
> > I can write an AutoIt script, but I don't know how to isolate this key.
> > Even
> > if I write a script to open regedit and search the keys, I can't seem to
> > isolate this specific key (not to mention that searches take forever).
> >
> > I see on the web the ability to delete keys using batch commands. But I
> > don't know who to write one.
> >
> > Any ideas here?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Anthony Giorgianni
> >
> > The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting

Export the key as suggested and open it for editing as explained.
Delete everything after: News]
Make sure there is one space below the key line in the reg file
Type a - (minus) in front of hkey
It should look like this:
Version of OE
Space
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]
Space

Save and exit

Make sure OE is closed
Double click the reg file to import it into the registry

Open OE and the news rules should be gone.

--

wrote in message news:uFyEyAQHFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> >
>> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
>> > Express\5.0\Rules\News
>> >
>> > Is there a way to do this directly from, say, the "run' command or
>> > elsewhere
>> > without going into regedit?
>> >
>> > I can write an AutoIt script, but I don't know how to isolate this key.
>> > Even
>> > if I write a script to open regedit and search the keys, I can't seem
>> > isolate this specific key (not to mention that searches take forever).
>> >
>> > I see on the web the ability to delete keys using batch commands. But I
>> > don't know who to write one.
>> >
>> > Any ideas here?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Anthony Giorgianni
>> >
>> > The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting

Excellent Brian and Larry.

That works perfectly. Thanks for the great lesson on modifying the registry.
Very interesting and useful!

--

> Export the key as suggested and open it for editing as explained.
> Delete everything after: News]
> Make sure there is one space below the key line in the reg file
> Type a - (minus) in front of hkey
> It should look like this:
> Version of OE
> Space
> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Rules\News]
> Space
>
> Save and exit
>
> Make sure OE is closed
> Double click the reg file to import it into the registry
>
> Open OE and the news rules should be gone.
>

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You're welcome. Be careful on how you use this method and always keep an
exported copy to import back in case you shoot yourself in the foot.
Definitely create/keep a current backup of the registry or an image of the
drive before attempting reg hacks. Good luck.

--

wrote in message news:erxvHSUHFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Excellent Brian and Larry.
>
> That works perfectly. Thanks for the great lesson on modifying the
> registry.
> Very interesting and useful!
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
> back
> to the newsgroup.
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Export the key as suggested and open it for editing as explained.
>> Delete everything after: News]
>> Make sure there is one space below the key line in the reg file
>> Type a - (minus) in front of hkey
>> It should look like this:
>> Version of OE
>> Space
>> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
>> Express\5.0\Rules\News]
>> Space
>>
>> Save and exit
>>
>> Make sure OE is closed
>> Double click the reg file to import it into the registry
>>
>> Open OE and the news rules should be gone.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A.
>>
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Exactly, Brian A. because a user must be very *careful* when editing the
registry because things could go wrong and the operating system will not be
able to start if some registry keys are destroyed. This is one area where I
tread with caution and make sure I have a back-up of my system first as well
as a back-up of my registry.

: You're welcome. Be careful on how you use this method and always keep an
: exported copy to import back in case you shoot yourself in the foot.
: Definitely create/keep a current backup of the registry or an image of the
: drive before attempting reg hacks. Good luck.
:
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.
: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
:
: "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
: wrote in message news:erxvHSUHFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > Excellent Brian and Larry.
: >
: > That works perfectly. Thanks for the great lesson on modifying the
: > registry.
: > Very interesting and useful!
: >
: >
: > --
: > Regards,
: > Anthony Giorgianni
: >
: > The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
: > back
: > to the newsgroup.
: > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
: > news:O0GaTYQHFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: >> Export the key as suggested and open it for editing as explained.
: >> Delete everything after: News]
: >> Make sure there is one space below the key line in the reg file
: >> Type a - (minus) in front of hkey
: >> It should look like this:
: >> Version of OE
: >> Space
: >> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{myidentity]}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
: >> Express\5.0\Rules\News]
: >> Space
: >>
: >> Save and exit
: >>
: >> Make sure OE is closed
: >> Double click the reg file to import it into the registry
: >>
: >> Open OE and the news rules should be gone.
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >> --
: >>
: >> Brian A.
: >>
: >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
: >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: >>
: >
: >
: >
:

Yes, thanks for the warning.

I have GoBack installed on my laptop, so I am a little free to fool around
(but I also back up the latest reg.) Getting the reg file exactly correct
took a few tries. In the first try, I forgot to chance "myidentify" to the
real thing :O) The messed-up attempts gave scan disk stuff to do, which I
thought might be the case. But then I reverted with GoBack to put every back
the way it was.

By the way, it did NOT working until at added the version and order lines: I
worked off the key export, which made it easier.

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]
"Version"=dword:00050000
"Order"="000"

Thanks again.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

<snip>

wrote in message news:ejdBdeaHFHA.3072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes, thanks for the warning.
>
> I have GoBack installed on my laptop, so I am a little free to fool around
> (but I also back up the latest reg.) Getting the reg file exactly correct
> took a few tries. In the first try, I forgot to chance "myidentify" to the
> real thing :O)

Too funny. I can relate to minor brain drains like that.

> The messed-up attempts gave scan disk stuff to do, which I
> thought might be the case. But then I reverted with GoBack to put every
> back
> the way it was.
>
> By the way, it did NOT working until at added the version and order lines:
> worked off the key export, which made it easier.
>

> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Rules\News]
> "Version"=dword:00050000
> "Order"="000"

That's odd, I tested it quite a few times the way I mentioned and had no
problem. No matter how know anyway, you have it working as you like. Good
luck.

--

> That's odd, I tested it quite a few times the way I mentioned and had no
> problem. No matter how know anyway, you have it working as you like. Good
> luck.

Well, it is possible I did something else wrong and fixed it inadvertently.
But it works. Thanks again!

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

It is more likely that you did not have a <cr><lf> pair at the end of
the last valid data line at the bottom of the .reg file, as the
version and order lines are doing nothing that a blank line or any
invalid line wouldn't do..
Between the lines... this is valid
-------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]

--------
This next one is valid
--------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]
//any comment you want
---------
This next one is not valid
--------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\News]
---------

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:

>By the way, it did NOT working until at added the version and order lines: I
>worked off the key export, which made it easier.
>

>[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Myidentity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
>Express\5.0\Rules\News]
>"Version"=dword:00050000
>"Order"="000"
>
>Thanks again.

Thanks for that, Alan

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
return.

--

wrote in message news:%234tBaMnHFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for that, Alan
>
> At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
> return.

LF is Line Feed, where the print head - or cursor-
moves to the next line of the form or screen,
without returning to position one of the form or screen.

CR is Carriage Return, where the print head - or cursor -
returns to position one on the same line of the form or screen.

LF/CR combines the two, dropping you down one line
and taking you back to position one.

What Hugh said.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:

>Thanks for that, Alan
>
>At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
>return.

Got it. :O) Thank you, both!

> What Hugh said.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Anthony Giorgianni"
> <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for that, Alan
> >
> >At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
> >return.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LOL!! Are you implying that was news to you as well as me, Alan? Have a
great day! <smile>

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec>
wrote:

>LOL!! Are you implying that was news to you as well as me, Alan? Have a
>great day! <smile>
>
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>: What Hugh said.
>:
>: ...Alan
>:
>: --
>: Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>: http://dts-l.org/index.html
>:
>: In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Anthony Giorgianni"
>: <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:
>:
>: >Thanks for that, Alan
>: >
>: >At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
>: >return.
>:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Alright, I did not think so since you have MVP status and I am still a novice
who hopes to go back to the UofA and earn his computer science degree then
get certified on computer classes and hopefully maybe in a decade move from
Arizona to Washington to work for the Microsoft Windows Development Team.
Any words of advice for me to help me accomplish my goal and passion. <s>
<zzz>

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
: No.
:
: ...Alan
:
: --
: wrote:
:
: >LOL!! Are you implying that was news to you as well as me, Alan? Have a
: >great day! <smile>
: >
: >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
: >news:6qd921tdicjkieb0ue4a7mg67mtvekd6a1@4ax.com...
: >: What Hugh said.
: >:
: >: ...Alan
: >: --
: >:
: >: In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Anthony Giorgianni"
: >: <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote:
: >:
: >: >Thanks for that, Alan
: >: >
: >: >At the risk of sounding dumb, what is <1f>? I assume <cr> is carriage
: >: >return.
: >:
: >
: