Something funny happened to the Recycle Bin icon.

Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
(True Image) and installed the purchased version.
Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
does everything else I've used since. Just one of
life's strange occurrences.
4 answers Last reply
More about something funny happened recycle icon

    Can it be changed by:
    Right click the desktop
    Click Properties > Effects tab

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
    > Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
    > (True Image) and installed the purchased version.
    > Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
    > its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
    > usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
    > so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
    > a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
    > does everything else I've used since. Just one of
    > life's strange occurrences.

    The usual way of changing the Recycle Bin icon is in Control
    Panel-Display-Effects tab

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Anthony Buckland wrote:

    > Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
    > (True Image) and installed the purchased version.
    > Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
    > its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
    > usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
    > so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
    > a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
    > does everything else I've used since. Just one of
    > life's strange occurrences.

    Okay, I have the answer to my own question.
    The True Image installation procedure (actually,
    deinstallation of the trial version and installation
    of the purchased version) deleted two files from the
    C:\WINDOWS\ folder, containing the icons that the
    Protected Recycle Bin (a feature of, in my case,
    Norton SystemWorks 2003) uses. I recovered them
    from an older tape save, and now the desktop icon
    is correct. Anything else that got destroyed will,
    I guess, show up eventually :)

    Glad to hear it. Keep us informed. Ah, it is good to have backups! Here
    is my solution to your next problem in advance: Get it out of your full
    system backup!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Anthony Buckland wrote:
    |
    | > Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
    | > (True Image) and installed the purchased version.
    | > Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
    | > its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
    | > usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
    | > so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
    | > a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
    | > does everything else I've used since. Just one of
    | > life's strange occurrences.
    | >
    | Okay, I have the answer to my own question.
    | The True Image installation procedure (actually,
    | deinstallation of the trial version and installation
    | of the purchased version) deleted two files from the
    | C:\WINDOWS\ folder, containing the icons that the
    | Protected Recycle Bin (a feature of, in my case,
    | Norton SystemWorks 2003) uses. I recovered them
    | from an older tape save, and now the desktop icon
    | is correct. Anything else that got destroyed will,
    | I guess, show up eventually :)

Microsoft Windows