Something funny happened to the Recycle Bin icon.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 27, 2005 1:45:02 PM

Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
(True Image) and installed the purchased version.
Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
does everything else I've used since. Just one of
life's strange occurrences.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:27:17 PM

Can it be changed by:
Right click the desktop
Click Properties > Effects tab

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
> Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
> (True Image) and installed the purchased version.
> Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
> its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
> usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
> so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
> a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
> does everything else I've used since. Just one of
> life's strange occurrences.

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:16:07 AM

The usual way of changing the Recycle Bin icon is in Control
Panel-Display-Effects tab

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Anthony Buckland
<buckland@direct.ca> wrote:

>Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
>(True Image) and installed the purchased version.
>Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
>its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
>usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
>so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
>a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
>does everything else I've used since. Just one of
>life's strange occurrences.
March 1, 2005 2:45:52 PM

Anthony Buckland wrote:

> Today I deinstalled the test version of a program
> (True Image) and installed the purchased version.
> Weird side-effect; the Protected Recycle Bin has lost
> its distinctive icon. You can't change the icon in the
> usual way in Properties after right-clicking on it,
> so I can't, AFAIK, undefault the icon. Not worth
> a lot of trouble to fix, the bin works fine and so
> does everything else I've used since. Just one of
> life's strange occurrences.

Okay, I have the answer to my own question.
The True Image installation procedure (actually,
deinstallation of the trial version and installation
of the purchased version) deleted two files from the
C:\WINDOWS\ folder, containing the icons that the
Protected Recycle Bin (a feature of, in my case,
Norton SystemWorks 2003) uses. I recovered them
from an older tape save, and now the desktop icon
is correct. Anything else that got destroyed will,
I guess, show up eventually :)
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:06:58 PM

Glad to hear it. Keep us informed. Ah, it is good to have backups! Here
is my solution to your next problem in advance: Get it out of your full
system backup!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,