There's no standby in my shutdown window!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 27, 2005 5:37:02 PM

,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
leading me to right solution!
February 27, 2005 6:39:05 PM

I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
let me know. I will do the same for you.

marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com

"LittlestRAM1977" wrote:

> ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
> computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
> standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
> remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
> birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
> this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
> leading me to right solution!
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:47:02 PM

Leo,
If I hear of anything I'll certainly let you know! I posted that under
LittlestRAM1977 but I've changed my id name to Little bit 77!
Thanks for letting me know I you find the solution!

"LEO" wrote:

> I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
> If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
> let me know. I will do the same for you.
>
> marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com
>

> "LittlestRAM1977" wrote:
>
> > ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
> > computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
> > standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
> > remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
> > birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
> > this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
> > leading me to right solution!
February 27, 2005 7:51:02 PM

Leo,
Ben responded to my question right after I found my own notes on this
happening to me before! Here's the link to read about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188134

Basically, I went to start/settings/control panel/system - Look for device
manager tab and double click - you should see system devices. Look for
Advanced Power under the system and IF the entry is present, click it, click
remove, okay and restart computer. (IF it's NOT there...read the link above
on what to do!!!) Then once your computer restarts, click
start/settings/control panel/add new hardware. It'll start looking for
devices and then it'll detect that you need to install something. Click okay
and then finish when prompted! It worked for ME, hope it does for you too!

"LEO" wrote:

> I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
> If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
> let me know. I will do the same for you.
>
> marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com
>

> "LittlestRAM1977" wrote:
>
> > ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
> > computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
> > standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
> > remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
> > birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
> > this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
> > leading me to right solution!
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:17:45 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188134 Restore Missing Standby

It may have removed itself due to two failures in a row. Now, perhaps do
not go absolutely nuts inside Device Manager. It can be quite a shock to
see Windows continually reboot, should you remove too many devices at
once. Also, there are those who passionately say, Standby is not worth
the trouble it is to recover.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN... MSKB
Search "Your computer cannot go on standby"; Windows 98; Exact Match;
Full Text.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188246&Product=w98
Err Msg: Your Computer Cannot Go on Standby Because a Device...
(188246) - When your attempt to put Windows 98 or Windows Millennium
Edition (Me) in Standby mode, you may receive the following error
message: Your computer cannot go on standby because a device driver or
program won't allow it. Close all programs and try...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232728&Product=w98
Computer May Be Unable to Start Standby Mode
(232728) - When your computer attempts to start Standby mode, you may
receive the following error message: Your computer cannot go on standby
because a device driver or program won't allow it. Close all open
programs, and then try again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232902&Product=w98
Cannot Use Standby Mode with USB Epson Stylus 740 Printer
(232902) - When you attempt to place your computer in Standby mode, you
may receive the following error message: Your computer cannot go on
standby because a device driver or program won't allow it. Close all
open programs, and then try again. If you click OK,...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232942&Product=w98
Error Message Disables Power Management Events
(232942) - When you receive the error message "Your computer cannot go
into standby," any of the following symptoms may occur:

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
!