There's no standby in my shutdown window!

,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
leading me to right solution!
4 answers Last reply
More about there standby shutdown window

    I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
    If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
    let me know. I will do the same for you.

    marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com

    "LittlestRAM1977" wrote:

    > ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
    > computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
    > standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
    > remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
    > birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
    > this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
    > leading me to right solution!

    Leo,
    If I hear of anything I'll certainly let you know! I posted that under
    LittlestRAM1977 but I've changed my id name to Little bit 77!
    Thanks for letting me know I you find the solution!

    "LEO" wrote:

    > I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
    > If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
    > let me know. I will do the same for you.
    >
    > marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com
    >

    > "LittlestRAM1977" wrote:
    >
    > > ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
    > > computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
    > > standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
    > > remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
    > > birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
    > > this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
    > > leading me to right solution!

    Leo,
    Ben responded to my question right after I found my own notes on this
    happening to me before! Here's the link to read about it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188134

    Basically, I went to start/settings/control panel/system - Look for device
    manager tab and double click - you should see system devices. Look for
    Advanced Power under the system and IF the entry is present, click it, click
    remove, okay and restart computer. (IF it's NOT there...read the link above
    on what to do!!!) Then once your computer restarts, click
    start/settings/control panel/add new hardware. It'll start looking for
    devices and then it'll detect that you need to install something. Click okay
    and then finish when prompted! It worked for ME, hope it does for you too!

    "LEO" wrote:

    > I also needed help in getting "standby" to work. I posted on Feb 25th.
    > If you find out how to get it working I would very much appreciate it if you
    > let me know. I will do the same for you.
    >
    > marlen200(delete this)@hotmail.com
    >

    > "LittlestRAM1977" wrote:
    >
    > > ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
    > > computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer in the
    > > standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I can't
    > > remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for the
    > > birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing to fix
    > > this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
    > > leading me to right solution!

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188134 Restore Missing Standby

    It may have removed itself due to two failures in a row. Now, perhaps do
    not go absolutely nuts inside Device Manager. It can be quite a shock to
    see Windows continually reboot, should you remove too many devices at
    once. Also, there are those who passionately say, Standby is not worth
    the trouble it is to recover.

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Your computer cannot go on standby"; Windows 98; Exact Match;
    Full Text.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188246&Product=w98
    Err Msg: Your Computer Cannot Go on Standby Because a Device...
    (188246) - When your attempt to put Windows 98 or Windows Millennium
    Edition (Me) in Standby mode, you may receive the following error
    message: Your computer cannot go on standby because a device driver or
    program won't allow it. Close all programs and try...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232728&Product=w98
    Computer May Be Unable to Start Standby Mode
    (232728) - When your computer attempts to start Standby mode, you may
    receive the following error message: Your computer cannot go on standby
    because a device driver or program won't allow it. Close all open
    programs, and then try again.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232902&Product=w98
    Cannot Use Standby Mode with USB Epson Stylus 740 Printer
    (232902) - When you attempt to place your computer in Standby mode, you
    may receive the following error message: Your computer cannot go on
    standby because a device driver or program won't allow it. Close all
    open programs, and then try again. If you click OK,...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232942&Product=w98
    Error Message Disables Power Management Events
    (232942) - When you receive the error message "Your computer cannot go
    into standby," any of the following symptoms may occur:

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | ,I don't know what happened because I did not choose to "not" have my
    | computer quit going into standby mode. When I went to put my computer
    in the
    | standby mode the choice was not there! It's done this before but I
    can't
    | remember how I fixed it and this new forum to get answers quick is for
    the
    | birds!! I liked the old setup better. I know it's not a major thing
    to fix
    | this but I could use some help with the remedy! Thanks in advance for
    | leading me to right solution!

Computers Microsoft Shutdown Windows