Auto exe. bat in Misconfig

Angel

I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig. Under
the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not the
second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never saw
before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what should I
do about it?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Angel

The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you want to
see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't read.

The second from what I find is put there by Zone Alarm to write logs in
case something goes wrong and ZA support sometimes requests the logs to help
troubleshoot/identify the problem.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Angel" <angel@noway.com> wrote in message
>I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig.
>Under
> the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not
> the
> second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never saw
> before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
> this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what should
> do about it?
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> Angel

Set Tvdumpflags=10 was put in Autoexec.bat by an update to Zone Alarm.
You can ignore it.

Try here if you need more detail:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Angel" <angel@noway.com>
wrote:

>I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig. Under
>the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not the
>second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never saw
>before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
>this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what should I
>do about it?
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> Angel

Angel

Thanks for the info.
Angel

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you want to
> see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't read.
>
> The second from what I find is put there by Zone Alarm to write logs in
> case something goes wrong and ZA support sometimes requests the logs to
help
> troubleshoot/identify the problem.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Angel" <angel@noway.com> wrote in message
> >I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig.
> >Under
> > the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not
> > the
> > second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never
saw
> > before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
> > this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what
should
> > do about it?
> > Thank you in advance for any help.
> > Angel

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Alan or anyone else -- do you know why ZA PRO. puts it there twice or is this
just sloppy programming on ZA's part?

:
: Try here if you need more detail:
: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
:
: ...Alan
:
: --
: wrote:
:
: >I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig.
Under
: >the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not
the
: >second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never saw
: >before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
: >this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what should
: >do about it?
: > Thank you in advance for any help.
: > Angel
: >
:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you want to
see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't read." --
From Brian

Why does ZA bother to have the first line because from what you said it
sounds entirely unnecessary and why would ZA want to remove autoexec.bat from
being shown during boot. I find it very useful to have autoexec.bat shown
during boot and so I guess I will manually edit the autoexec.bat like I did
before to remove the first and useless line. Thanks Brian.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
: The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you want to
: see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't read.
:
: The second from what I find is put there by Zone Alarm to write logs in
: case something goes wrong and ZA support sometimes requests the logs to
help
: troubleshoot/identify the problem.
:
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.
[...]

It isn't necessarily the case that ZA put in the "@ECHO OFF" line. In
any case, it's a matter of aesthetics--some people like seeing the
stuff, most people don't. Fairly SOP to include the line if it's not
already present.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> "The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you
want to
> see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't
read." --
> From Brian
>
> Why does ZA bother to have the first line because from what you said
it
> sounds entirely unnecessary and why would ZA want to remove
autoexec.bat from
> being shown during boot. I find it very useful to have autoexec.bat
shown
> during boot and so I guess I will manually edit the autoexec.bat like
I did
> before to remove the first and useless line. Thanks Brian.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> : The first disables displaying the autoexec.bat during boot. If you
want to
> : see it you can remove the @echo off or rem it so the line isn't
read.
> :
> : The second from what I find is put there by Zone Alarm to write
logs in
> : case something goes wrong and ZA support sometimes requests the logs
> help
> : troubleshoot/identify the problem.
> :
> : --
> :
> : Brian A.
> :
> : Conflicts start where information lacks.
> : http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> :
> :
> : "Angel" <angel@noway.com> wrote in message
> : news:ecx2uPUHFHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> : >I have a question about something I never saw before in the
Misconfig.
> : >Under
> : > the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one
but not
> : > the
> : > second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I
never
> saw
> : > before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10.
What does
> : > this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what
should
> : > I
> : > do about it?
> : > Thank you in advance for any help.
> : > Angel
> : >
> : >
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Fairly SOP to include the line if it's not already present. (Huh -- what do
you mean Gary <???> -- TIA) BTW, my ZA PRO. has yet to put the @ECHO OFF
line in that Brian A. is talking about -- it has not been doing this in my
98SE system. I use E-Trust CA EZARMOR in XP PRO. so I do not know if the
behavior is different there.

: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
[...]
: > :
: > : The second from what I find is put there by Zone Alarm to write
: logs in
: > : case something goes wrong and ZA support sometimes requests the logs
: > help
: > : troubleshoot/identify the problem.
: > :
: > : --
: > :
: > : Brian A.
: > :
[...]
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: >
: >
:

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

As I said, it's not at all certain that ZA put that line there. Could
have been something else, long ago. And, if ZA did put it there, it was
during installation. It wouldn't bother to re-write it later.
Widows XP doesn't use Autoexec.bat or Comfit.sys or anything similar.

--

> [...]
> : > : >I have a question about something I never saw before in the
> : Misconfig.
> : > : >Under
> : > : > the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first
one
> : but not
> : > : > the
> : > : > second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one
> : never
> : > saw
> : > : > before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10.
> : What does
> : > : > this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there,
what
> : should
> : > : > I
> : > : > do about it?
> : > : > Thank you in advance for any help.

It puts it there twice if you have installed two updates that put it
there once each. I guess you could call that sloppy.
You can remove one if you like but it does no harm to leave.

....Alan

--

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec>
wrote:

>Alan or anyone else -- do you know why ZA PRO. puts it there twice or is this
>just sloppy programming on ZA's part?
>
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>: Set Tvdumpflags=10 was put in Autoexec.bat by an update to Zone Alarm.
>: You can ignore it.
>:
>: Try here if you need more detail:
>: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
>:
>: ...Alan
>:
>: --
>: Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>: http://dts-l.org/index.html
>:
>:
>: In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Angel" <angel@noway.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig.
>Under
>: >the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not
>the
>: >second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never saw
>: >before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What does
>: >this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what should
>: >do about it?
>: > Thank you in advance for any help.
>: > Angel
>: >
>:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Alan. I already removed one and with another update ZA PRO. put it
back so I may indeed leave it this time. I have not yet decided what I will
do but may leave it because firewalls are updated so quickly due to the
continuing security threats that computers face from ever-more sophisticated
cyber-attackers. Now would you say this is similar to the LoadPowerProfile
and btw why do you need to have two LoadPowerProfiles there? I know there is
a good reason and I knew once but I have forgotten. Thanks and have a great
night.

:
: >:
: >: Try here if you need more detail:
: >: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
: >:
: >: ...Alan
: >: --
: >: wrote:
: >:
: >: >I have a question about something I never saw before in the Misconfig.
: >Under
: >: >the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one but not
: >the
: >: >second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I never
saw
: >: >before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10. What
does
: >: >this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there, what
should
: >I
: >: >do about it?
: >: > Thank you in advance for any help.
: >: > Angel
: >: >
: >:
: >
:

No, it's not the same as LoadPowerProfile. LPP is loaded twice by
Windows, once by RunServices, to make sure it's loaded no matter who
logs on, or if nobody logs. The second load, from the Run key, is to
tweak according to an individual user's preferences. Not sure if
*anyone* knows exactly why, but the system can get weird if both aren't
loaded.

Thus, LPP isn't at all the same, since the ZA entries are unnecessary
duplications, and the LPP items aren't.

--

> [...]
> : >:
> : >: >I have a question about something I never saw before in the
Misconfig.
> : >Under
> : >: >the tab, 2 items are checked. I think I have seen the first one
but not
> : >the
> : >: >second. The first Checked one is: @ECHO OFF and the second one I
never
> saw
> : >: >before is down the page a bit and checked: Set tvdumpflags=10.
What
> does
> : >: >this mean? and should it be there? If it should not be there,
what
> should
> : >I
> : >: >do about it?
> : >: > Thank you in advance for any help.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, I heard something like this once but you have made it completely
clear to me, Gary.

[...]
: > :
: > : >:
: > : >: Try here if you need more detail:
: > : >: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
: > : >:
: > : >: ...Alan
: > : >: wrote:
[...]