CA vs. Symantec vs. Microsoft

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and here
is an article from Forbes about the two companies.

http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Dan" wrote:

> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and here
> is an article from Forbes about the two companies.

My opinions as a individual user (I've tried many combinations of programs,
including everything mentioned in this email):

Antivirus: CA, followed (closely) by Trend Micro, followed (not so closely)
by Symantec. All will keep protect you from viruses, but the CA EZ antivirus
program will do it with the least cost in disk space and system overhead
(less bells and whistles too, which is a good thing). It is the closest
thing to having the benefits of an antivirus program without the costs in
other areas.

Anti-spyware: Combination of SP2 with default settings and with all updates
and patches downloaded and installed, Microsoft beta antispyware program, and
Ad Aware SE. If you are getting spyware even after using this combination,
it's your fault and you you need to learn computer security 101 because NO
antispyware program will help you. :)

Best firewall: Windows firewall, followed by Symantec, followed by CA. If
you have good antivirus and antispyware software and you already do the
preventative things that stop crudware from getting on your machine in the
first place, the Windows firewall has the most seamless performance -- by far
-- of these alternatives. If, on the other hand, you are not confident in
your ability to keep trojans, worms, and spyware from getting on your machine
and then "phoning home," then Norton seems to be the most protective,
although the CA product, as I remember it, has slightly less wear and tear on
overall system overhead.

Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Symantec does not have an anti-virus suite that is not bloatware. May be
the same if they offer a anti-spyware system (???)

Microsoft AntiVirus Beta 1 is not bad. However, Microsoft has yet to
release an antivirus system for XP.

CA seems to have the best in antivirus and anti-spyware programs:

Etrust is very good in virus protection and removal.
PestPatrol seems to be a leader in spyware removal.

I do not use their firewall as of yet.

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and
> here
> is an article from Forbes about the two companies.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

You do not use a firewall and so you must be playing with fire. Are you
saying you do not have a hardware firewall built into a LinkSyS router or a
software firewall such as ZA's PRO. version, CA EZARMOR Firewall or even
Microsoft own firewall in XP? Even if you are on a dial-up it is suggested
that you have a firewall according to PC World. Also, a layered approach to
security is best. Finally, I think Webroot's SpySweeper is the best at
removing spyware since Microsoft's antispyware was GIANT but it is still in
beta testing and Spysweeper has been able to remove spyware that was not
detected in Pest Patrol. Also, Pest Patrol had some false positives and that
is why I chose not to renew it when my subscription to Pest Patrol expired on
February 5, 2005. Have an awesome day and I hope you will consider the
security of a firewall to safeguard your system.

:
[...]
: >
: >
http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html
: >
: >
:
:

kim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I think you misread his post. He said he does not use THEIR firewall, not
that he does not use A firewall......

"Dan" wrote:

> Finally, I think Webroot's SpySweeper is the best at
> removing spyware since Microsoft's antispyware was GIANT but it is still in
> beta testing and Spysweeper has been able to remove spyware that was not
> detected in Pest Patrol.

I gave up on Spysweeper months ago because it was finding too many false
positives. I suspect that virtually all third party antispyware will find
more false positives than Microsoft -- after all, they make their living by
convincing people, often wrongly and (I suspect) often on purpose, that some
harmless tracking cookie is a dangerous threat to their computer security.
Besides, I never download spyware in the first place, so none of the programs
I have ever used has ever found any legitimate spyware.

I use the Microsoft program only because it is so seamless with the rest of
XP (a virtue, I'm sure, of it being a Microsoft product rather than a third
party vendor product). If an antispyware program slowed down my machine even
a little, or interrupted me to tell me that an doubleclick.net cookie was
blocked from getting on my machine, I would stop using it, at least in real
time scan mode. [Note: I do block tracking cookies from getting on my
machine; it's just that I do it through IE directly rather than through an
antispyware program.]

Also, the Microsoft is a beta in name only (it is a slightly modified
version of the GIANT program), and even then Microsoft in the past has been
very conservative about releasing public betas (I have used many of them in
the past without any significant problems, including the beta version of SP2
for months before the public version came out).

Ken

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I misread it. Thank you, Kim for the correction.

: "Dan" wrote:
:
[...]
: > :
[...]
: > : >
: > : >
: >
http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
: >

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I am using Zone Alarm Free behind a NAT router at home and a corporate
hardware firewall at my office.

As for anti-spyware systems, not everyone will catch every spywares out
there. As for Webroot, I do not like it! It is too much "integrated" and
pops up too often (is the standard setup). Microsoft's attempt shows
promise but we need to see when it gets out of "beta".

> You do not use a firewall and so you must be playing with fire. Are you
> saying you do not have a hardware firewall built into a LinkSyS router or
> software firewall such as ZA's PRO. version, CA EZARMOR Firewall or even
> Microsoft own firewall in XP? Even if you are on a dial-up it is
> suggested
> that you have a firewall according to PC World. Also, a layered approach
> security is best. Finally, I think Webroot's SpySweeper is the best at
> removing spyware since Microsoft's antispyware was GIANT but it is still
> in
> beta testing and Spysweeper has been able to remove spyware that was not
> detected in Pest Patrol. Also, Pest Patrol had some false positives and
> that
> is why I chose not to renew it when my subscription to Pest Patrol expired
> on
> February 5, 2005. Have an awesome day and I hope you will consider the
> security of a firewall to safeguard your system.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> : Symantec does not have an anti-virus suite that is not bloatware. May
> be
> : the same if they offer a anti-spyware system (???)
> :
> : Microsoft AntiVirus Beta 1 is not bad. However, Microsoft has yet to
> : release an antivirus system for XP.
> :
> : CA seems to have the best in antivirus and anti-spyware programs:
> :
> : Etrust is very good in virus protection and removal.
> : PestPatrol seems to be a leader in spyware removal.
> :
> : I do not use their firewall as of yet.
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:uNGR55aHFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : > Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company
> has
> : > the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect
> the
> : > individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback
> and
> : > here
> : > is an article from Forbes about the two companies.
> : >
> : >
> http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

It depends how you configure Webroot. I have it configured so that it does
not annoy me. Exactly, the Microsoft antispyware does show promise but we
must all have patience while this Giant software is tested. I hope that
Microsoft can release antispyware for the cooperation and power
home-based/business-based system user on a LAN network that will be a for pay
product that will be easy to install and unistall on an XP system. I
dual-boot with 98SE and XP PRO. and use a customized boot.ini with a
customized registry and have customized DOS (Disk Operating System) for my
needs. I am disappointed that XP has a poor legacy substitute DOS shell
wheras 98SE has true MS-DOS but still lacks some DOS commands as PCR has
pointed out that were removed instead of being updated for more modern use.
BTW, does anyone know how to acquire a retail edition of MS-DOS 6.22 which I
think is the last full DOS version but if it is not then I want the last
complete MSDOS kit. The reason I want the full MSDOS kit is that I want to
do more power testing on DOS and need a complete DOS package for my needs. I
can then send my suggestions to Bill Gates and figure out the best way to
develop future Windows packages and also if it is at all feasible to have a
Classics Windows version in the future for older computers that can help
Microsoft solve some environmental problems for older computers and hopefully
stop or at least slow the trend towards Apple and Open-Source products. I
can setup my computer to have a tri-boot with MS-DOS 6.22, 98SE and XP PRO.
Thanks for your time and help.

In news:uNGR55aHFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Dan <spamyou@user.nec> typed:

> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which
> company has the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall
> solution
> to protect the individual, companies and the government?

In my view, the question is irrelevant, for several reasons.
First, this should be three separate questions (anti-spyware,
anti-virus, and firewall); there's no reason to assume that the
company which makes the best product in one of these categories
necessarily makes the best product in any of the others.

It also makes no sense to restrict the choices as to which is
best to these three companies. There are many other vendors in
these arenas, and many of them make excellent products.

Finally, when it comes to anti-spyware software, no single
product does a good enough job, and you should use multiple
products. Read http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
It states "as testing with these anti-spyware applications has

demonstrated, no single anti-spyware application will remove

everything. Therefore, users are advised to install and use at
least

two anti-spyware applications."

Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Dan

We are moving away from DOS.. those of us that remember using MS-DOS look
back fondly, but have no particular desire to return.. many of the machines
that relied on DOS are long gone.. some buried, others crushed.. the ones
that do survive do not have eternal life.. it is time to move on..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In my view, the question is irrelevant, for several reasons.
> First, this should be three separate questions (anti-spyware,
> anti-virus, and firewall); there's no reason to assume that the
> company which makes the best product in one of these categories
> necessarily makes the best product in any of the others.

I'm not so sure. In my experience, when you use separate vendors for
separate interrelated software functions (antivirus, spyware, and firewall),
you are asking for trouble. I think you are better off sticking to one
vendor, or two vendors if the first vendor is Microsoft (e.g. you use Windows
firewall or the Microsoft antispyware program). This may be an area where
the whole is better than the sum of the parts. I have tried it both ways,
and have had slightly better results (from a performance and stability
perspective) when using one vendor rather than several.

> It also makes no sense to restrict the choices as to which is
> best to these three companies. There are many other vendors in
> these arenas, and many of them make excellent products.

Right, e.g. Trend Micro.

> Finally, when it comes to anti-spyware software, no single
> product does a good enough job, and you should use multiple
> products. Read http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
> It states "as testing with these anti-spyware applications has
> demonstrated, no single anti-spyware application will remove
> everything. Therefore, users are advised to install and use at
> least two anti-spyware applications."

Notwithstanding what I said above, I fully agree with this last point. I
personally use the Microsoft antispyware program (after trying and rejecting
many others) and Ad Aware SE as my "second opinion" software.

Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Second try:

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In my view, the question is irrelevant, for several reasons.
> First, this should be three separate questions (anti-spyware,
> anti-virus, and firewall); there's no reason to assume that the
> company which makes the best product in one of these categories
> necessarily makes the best product in any of the others.

In my experience, when you mix up different vendors for interrelated or
interacting software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall), you are asking for
trouble even if, standing alone, any one product can be shown to be better
than the others. I have had better results sticking to one vendor. This is
an area where the whole may be greater than the sum of the parts.

> It also makes no sense to restrict the choices as to which is
> best to these three companies. There are many other vendors in
> these arenas, and many of them make excellent products.

Right, e.g. Trend Micro.

> Finally, when it comes to anti-spyware software, no single
> product does a good enough job, and you should use multiple
> products. Read http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
> It states "as testing with these anti-spyware applications has
> demonstrated, no single anti-spyware application will remove
> everything. Therefore, users are advised to install and use at
> least two anti-spyware applications."

Notwithstanding what I said above, I agree completely. I personally use Ad
Aware SE in conjunction with the Microsoft antispyware product.

Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:F5144A5D-8F21-4F54-B465-5657621AE4FF@microsoft.com,
Ken Gardner <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In my view, the question is irrelevant, for several reasons.
>> First, this should be three separate questions (anti-spyware,
>> anti-virus, and firewall); there's no reason to assume that
>> the
>> company which makes the best product in one of these
>> categories
>> necessarily makes the best product in any of the others.
>
> I'm not so sure. In my experience, when you use separate
> vendors for
> separate interrelated software functions (antivirus, spyware,
> and
> firewall), you are asking for trouble.

I don't think that these functions are really interrelated, and
that hasn't been my experience at all. I use one company's
products for anti-virus, a second for a firewall, and six others
for anti-spyware without any problems at all. That's on both of
my machines here, as well as on the machines of numbers of others
to whom I've recommended the same combinations.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> I think you are better off
> sticking to one vendor, or two vendors if the first vendor is
> Microsoft (e.g. you use Windows firewall or the Microsoft
> antispyware
> program). This may be an area where the whole is better than
> the
> sum of the parts. I have tried it both ways, and have had
> slightly
> better results (from a performance and stability perspective)
> when
> using one vendor rather than several.
>
>> It also makes no sense to restrict the choices as to which is
>> best to these three companies. There are many other vendors in
>> these arenas, and many of them make excellent products.
>
> Right, e.g. Trend Micro.
>
>> Finally, when it comes to anti-spyware software, no single
>> product does a good enough job, and you should use multiple
>> products. Read http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
>> It states "as testing with these anti-spyware applications has
>> demonstrated, no single anti-spyware application will remove
>> everything. Therefore, users are advised to install and use at
>> least two anti-spyware applications."
>
> Notwithstanding what I said above, I fully agree with this last
> point. I personally use the Microsoft antispyware program
> (after
> trying and rejecting many others) and Ad Aware SE as my "second
> opinion" software.
>
> Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

My personal favorite A/V for home use is AVG from Grisoft. It is not a
resource hog and none of the systems that I've seen it loaded on have had
any problems with it or have gotten nailed. BTW, the basic non-networked,
home version is free. You can purchase the Pro version (which gets you tech
support) for either 29.95 for 1 year or 39.95 for two years. I DO NOT like
Symantec any more. There software takes too much to run and after the
screwing I got the last time I renewed (they changed the Small Business
version where it does not protect my Exchange server andy more). I will be
changing my biggest clients away from them this year. Probabaly go with AVGs
corporate version or Panda.

For spyware at home I have been using Spysweeper since it cleans much more
than the (very good) free versions that I had been running. It is an
annoying program but I have not found a better one yet.

I like Zone Alarm for firewall.

Aaron

All of the
"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and
here
> is an article from Forbes about the two companies.

http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html

ad

Dan wrote:
> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and here
> is an article from Forbes about the two companies.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html

I do not like symantec, the only thing I use is Ghost and Partition
magic, but everything else they make is over sized and like a virus in
itself.

For protection, I prefer to use Avast Virus checker and sygate Firewall.
both are free and works well.
These security suits is just too big and slows down the computer.

"Ad" wrote:

> I do not like symantec, the only thing I use is Ghost and Partition
> magic, but everything else they make is over sized and like a virus in
> itself.

I fully agree. I used to consider Norton as essential back in the days when
Norton -- the actual human being, not just the name of the software -- was
involved in developing the software. That would be back in the days of
Windows 9x. Back then the software was lean and mean and could do things
that the built-in utilities couldn't do that were also pretty much essential
to overall system stability and performance. Today the antivirus and
software It still does what it is supposed to do, but now not nearly so
leanly or meanly. Systemworks is totally unnecessary and actually is a drag
on the system. And if you decide to uninstall most Symantec software,
sometimes the quickest and easiest way is a clean install of XP (I'm not
joking).

Bottom line: Symantec software is still fine for most purposes, but if you
install it, you are essentially stuck with it for life, or until your next
clean install of Windows XP. This can be very annoying if something
different or better comes along that you want to try.

Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Ken - All too true - in addition, the non-commercial versions of Symantec
software are notorious for interfering with other software, particularly
installs and very particularly system software of all kinds. (The
commercial stuff, by contrast, has quite a good reputation, FWIW.) I don't
allow it on any of my machines (except for testing on my "sandbox" after
which I remove it using TotalUninstall), and I strongly counsel my clients
not to put it on their machines or to replace it if it's already there.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:C3735BBD-84FC-4F9B-BACE-72F92F18609B@microsoft.com,

"Jim Byrd" wrote:

> Hi Ken - All too true - in addition, the non-commercial versions of Symantec
> software are notorious for interfering with other software, particularly
> installs and very particularly system software of all kinds. (The
> commercial stuff, by contrast, has quite a good reputation, FWIW.) I don't
> allow it on any of my machines (except for testing on my "sandbox" after
> which I remove it using TotalUninstall), and I strongly counsel my clients
> not to put it on their machines or to replace it if it's already there.

I think you put your finger on the problem that I have with Symantec
software today. Instead of complementing the OS by seamlessly adding
functionality, it literally attempts to modify -- or take over the OS and
your web browser (e.g. NIS and Systemworks) -- to operate more the way
Symantec thinks it should operate. I suppose that that's just fine for the
"native XP" or Microsoft haters in the audience, but it isn't fine with me.
By contrast, the CA software is the way Norton software used to be -- lean
and mean, and butt-ugly to look at, too. :)

Ken

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:59:26 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and here
> is an article from Forbes about the two companies.

We install commercial systems for companies all over the USA and have used
Symantec Corporate Edition for a very long time. In all that time not one
machine has become infected with any virus. I've seen other companies
running CA and McAfee and they have been compromised. To be fair, I've
seen other companies that relied solely on AV as their security means be
compromised no matter what product they use.

I stand with Symantec Corporate Edition AV software (not the Norton
product) and then use other vendors products for other needs. I do not run
"anti-spyware" products in real-time on any users computers - the firewall
setup at the border takes care of those types of things.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<yawn>

Dan wrote:
> Which company is the best for protecting your computer? Which company has
> the best anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall solution to protect the
> individual, companies and the government? Please post your feedback and
> here is an article from Forbes about the two companies.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/home/ebusiness/2005/02/28/cx_ah_0228mondaymatchup.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

For a year or more I recommended Norton to my customers.
Allot of that decision was because I used it myself. I had used
other Anti-Virus products (Excluding McAfee) and just settled
on Nav and made the mistake of starting to use NIS.
Starting around Summer of 2004, I started running into all kinds
of errant installs/upgrades and subscription issues. Some issues
took hours and hours to resolve or get a workaround in place.
I actually spent 5 weeks testing all the Anti-Virus & Firewall
products I could. After testing, I finally decided on eTrust 7.0
for Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Free for the Firewall program.
I'm now strongly against almost all of Symantec's products.
I actually spoke to some of their marketing folks about the
issues with Bloatware, Subscription pricing and the way the
company "Hides" by removing customer forums and only having
paid Telephone support. Just like you would image, the response
was one of "Who Cares, Go Away". After that, I'm done with
Symantec and would advise anyone who uses their software to
look for alternate/leaner/cheaper solutions.
What's funny is the CEO's commentary that Symantec isn't
afraid of Microsoft and will beat them in the marketplace. Unless
he gets some real idea of their consumer problems, that comment
will likely not come to pass.

"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Second try:
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In my view, the question is irrelevant, for several reasons.
>> First, this should be three separate questions (anti-spyware,
>> anti-virus, and firewall); there's no reason to assume that the
>> company which makes the best product in one of these categories
>> necessarily makes the best product in any of the others.
>
> In my experience, when you mix up different vendors for interrelated or
> interacting software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall), you are asking
> for
> trouble even if, standing alone, any one product can be shown to be better
> than the others. I have had better results sticking to one vendor. This
> is
> an area where the whole may be greater than the sum of the parts.
>
>> It also makes no sense to restrict the choices as to which is
>> best to these three companies. There are many other vendors in
>> these arenas, and many of them make excellent products.
>
> Right, e.g. Trend Micro.
>
>> Finally, when it comes to anti-spyware software, no single
>> product does a good enough job, and you should use multiple
>> products. Read http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
>> It states "as testing with these anti-spyware applications has
> > demonstrated, no single anti-spyware application will remove
>> everything. Therefore, users are advised to install and use at
>> least two anti-spyware applications."
>
> Notwithstanding what I said above, I agree completely. I personally use
> Ad
> Aware SE in conjunction with the Microsoft antispyware product.
>
> Ken

Bobster

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

McCarty,

I couldn't agree more with you comments and recommendations. I've used Ca
anti-virus since the days it was free and have used ZoneAlarm free for the
last 3-4 years. Here's my slate of "protection" software that has served me
well, is either free or of minimal cost expensive, and does not interfere
with the basic operation of my computer or with each other:

CA my-eTrust V 7.0
ZoneAlarm, free version
AdAware v 1.05
SpyBot Search and Destroy
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
Pop-Up Stopper, free version

I run CWShredder on occasion but since it's never fouind a problem, I
probably don't need it. I also ran a HOSTS manager for awhile but found it
to unnecessarily limit some of my web surfing so I no longer use it.

The key to a clean machine is to use good protection, update it (and your
OS) regularly and show some restraint in what you open yourself up to during
your surfing. My 98SE, P11, 300 MHZ machine is solid as a rock. I average
about one BSOD a month and then only when I try to run a week or so without
rebooting.

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message

> Here's my slate of "protection" software that has served me
> well, is either free or of minimal cost expensive, and does not interfere
> with the basic operation of my computer or with each other:
>
> CA my-eTrust V 7.0
> ZoneAlarm, free version
> AdAware v 1.05
> SpyBot Search and Destroy
> SpywareBlaster
> SpywareGuard
> Pop-Up Stopper, free version
>
> I run CWShredder on occasion but since it's never fouind a problem, I
> probably don't need it. I also ran a HOSTS manager for awhile but found
it
> to unnecessarily limit some of my web surfing so I no longer use it.
>
> The key to a clean machine is to use good protection, update it (and your
> OS) regularly and show some restraint in what you open yourself up to
during
> your surfing. My 98SE, P11, 300 MHZ machine is solid as a rock. I
average
> about one BSOD a month and then only when I try to run a week or so
without
> rebooting.

Overall, a scathing indictment of an operating system, isn't it?.

Microsoft could offer me the Windows source code,
free, with permission to market it as I see fit
and I would turn the offer down on principle.

I can only hope that Microsoft will see the light,
stop wasting valuable resources patching quicksand,
junk their current obsolete WinTel architecture
and develop products worthy of the 21st century
in which the rest of us lives.

Before the people already working on such products
beat them to it, although they may already be too late.

Watching Microsoft at work is like watching an elephant die.
It is slow. It is stubborn. It is painful. It is inevitably fatal.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> > I'm not so sure. In my experience, when you use separate
> > vendors for separate interrelated software functions (antivirus, spyware,
> > and firewall), you are asking for trouble.

> I don't think that these functions are really interrelated, and
> that hasn't been my experience at all. I use one company's
> products for anti-virus, a second for a firewall, and six others
> for anti-spyware without any problems at all. That's on both of
> my machines here, as well as on the machines of numbers of others
> to whom I've recommended the same combinations.

Actually, I'm having second thoughts about my original comment, even though
it is still accurate as applied to me. Most of the people who are having
recent trouble are people who install "security suites" such as Norton
Internet Security. And in the interest of full disclosure, I now use
Microsoft and Lavasoft for antispyware, EZ Trust for antivirus, and the
Windows firewall. :)

Ken