Microsoft's future plans (???)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
>
> This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
> future
> will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id IE
> 7
> will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'll betcha a c-note that it's not. <eg>

Dan wrote:
> ...Also, we do not know [if] IE 7
> will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone browser they
would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would seem to
indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future version of IE,
compatible with older operating systems.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

> Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
browser they
> would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
seem to
> indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
version of IE,
> compatible with older operating systems.

Bill Gates' actual words when he announced IE7,
reproduced from his own web site:

"And, one thing to be clear on, this will be in the Internet Explorer
that's available to people using Windows XP SP 2."

So it won't even run on Windows XP, never mind Win 2K
or earlier. You will need Windows XP SP2.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Hugh. I see your point.

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
:
: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
[...]

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their products
through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also be
free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated. I wonder if
Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try alternative
browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market share.
I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.

: ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
:
: --
: Mike Hall
: MVP - Windows Shell/user
:
: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
:
:
:
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
: >
: > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
: > future
: > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id
IE
: > 7
: > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
: >
: >
:
:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I got 98's I was informed by the dealer that support would end July
2002.
So you should be thankful Microsoft gave you an extension .
You know the old outhouses didn't function as today because they lacked the
plumbing and a lot of other improvements - so the old OS lacks the
foundation for supporting the features of today.
Anyone is free to use any product of their preference. Most people try more
than one.
--
mae

| http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
| --snip--
I wonder if
| Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
| with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try
alternative
| browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market
share.
| I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.
|
| ---snip-
| "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
| : ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
| :
| : --
| : Mike Hall
| : MVP - Windows Shell/user
| :
| : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| :
| : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
| : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| : >
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
| : >

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dan

MS have chosen to build IE7 on the strengths of SP2.. I don't see how that
could be a bad thing.. asking MS to supply IE7 or a version thereof for Win
98 is like asking GM to provide front-end crumple zones and side impact
airbags that can be retro-fitted to a '57 Cadillac Fleetwood convertible..

Re. IE6.. there are more than a few warnings about the use of it, but the
conditions attached to getting a problem through vulnerability #61 whereby..

...... 1. you are deleting vbrun300.dll at the same time as NTLDR.. 2. were
born on a Thursday between 1-3pm in the afternoon.. 3. have a Yorkshire
Terrier called Tempest that has one blue eye and one green.. 4. your wife
left you and 5. your kids have been abducted by aliens.. is not necessarily
a good reason to panic and change browser..

People will use whatever they feel happy with.. if a user downloads
something other than IE, and they prefer the features, then way to go.. I
know of some who still struggle along with Netscape.. well, good for them..
I use IE6 without problems, as do others, which proves that it can be done..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
>
> Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their
> products
> through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also
> be
> free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated. I wonder if
> Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
> with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try
> alternative
> browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market
> share.
> I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> : ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
> :
> : --
> : Mike Hall
> : MVP - Windows Shell/user
> :
> : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> :
> :
> :
> :
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : >
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
> : >
> : > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
> : > future
> : > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know
> id
> IE
> : > 7
> : > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

ad

glee wrote:
> Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone browser they
> would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would seem to
> indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future version of IE,
> compatible with older operating systems.

They also stated that IE6 was going to be the last stand alone browser,
full stop. The next one was suppose to be in Longhorn. so they do change
their mind now and again. but I also can not see MS producing IE 7 for
windows 98 or ME. Download Firefox, a better browser anyway.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I see what you are saying, Mike but I will continue to use 98SE until 30 June
2006 when Microsoft ends critical updates for 98, 98SE and ME and even after
that I will use it in an off-line environment. It is an awesome operating
system. It can run my old MS-DOS programs and does not seem to choke as much
as XP PRO. when I do powerful editing and configuring of the boot.ini, the
registry (manually editing) and other stuff.

: Dan
:
[...]
: > :
: > : --
: > : Mike Hall
: > : MVP - Windows Shell/user
: > :
: > : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: > : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > : >
[...]

I am thankful that Microsoft has updated 98, 98SE and ME until 30 June 2006.
I dual-boot with 98SE and XP PRO. so I use both older and newer technology.
Will my only resource be to buy Virtual Machine when support runs out and
will this provide me with the environment where I can have true DOS mode and
powerful configuration options. BTW, according to Chris Quirke, MVP DOS is
not dead because Microsoft does not have a maintenance operating system that
has replaced DOS so until Microsoft provides this maintence operating system
perhaps in Longhorn or Whistler then I will not see DOS as being considered
dead.

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
[...]
: |
: | ---snip-
: | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
: | news:OtnrSvbHFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: | : ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
: | :
: | : --
: | : Mike Hall
: | : MVP - Windows Shell/user
: | :
: | : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
: | :
: | : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: | : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: | : >
: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
: | : >
: |
:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Ad. I am already using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1 version as my default
browser. I use IE to update Windows and in other rare cases.

"Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote in message
: glee wrote:
: > Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
browser they
: > would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
seem to
: > indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
version of IE,
: > compatible with older operating systems.
:
:
: They also stated that IE6 was going to be the last stand alone browser,
: full stop. The next one was suppose to be in Longhorn. so they do change
: their mind now and again. but I also can not see MS producing IE 7 for
: windows 98 or ME. Download Firefox, a better browser anyway.
:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

>> Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
> browser they
>> would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
> seem to
>> indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
> version of IE,
>> compatible with older operating systems.
>
> Bill Gates' actual words when he announced IE7,
> reproduced from his own web site:
>
> "And, one thing to be clear on, this will be in the Internet Explorer
> that's available to people using Windows XP SP 2."
>
> So it won't even run on Windows XP, never mind Win 2K
> or earlier. You will need Windows XP SP2.

Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
Windows Media Player 10.

Best regards, Roman

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better than
WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?

"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
:
[...]

vinCe

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 00:54:02 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
>
>Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their products
>through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also be
>free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated.

Deep down in your heart, you don't actually believe this, do you?

There are at least two unpatched vulnerabilities that MS has
determined to be "critical", but have yet to provide security updates
to Win 98(SE) users in any form.
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx>
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-015.mspx>

We've already been hung out to dry on these two exploits and I expect
there will several more unpatched "critical" vulnerabilities in
Win98(SE) before we get to the end of June 2006. And that's not even
talking about vulnerabilities that Microsoft deems to be less than
"critical" for Win98(SE).

IMO, extending the life of Win98(SE) was eye wash and MS never had any
intention of doing more than holding the carrot out in front of
Win98(SE) users long enough for them to upgrade their hardware and
automatically upgrade to WinXP.

WinXP's largest competitor is older versions of Windows. You will
upgrade to WinXP, even if you're kicking and screaming all the way.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I will research your replies, Vince and post to the appropriate Microsoft
department and yes I am a valuable 98SE user since I also use XP PRO. and
work as a Target Team Specialist. I also have some connections with high
ranking Government officials and used to work at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
in Tucson, Arizona. I highly doubt Microsoft was ready to deal with someone
like me who will go to the highest level necessary to try and get their ideas
met. (Highest level on this Earth is the Government --- Highest level in my
Faith is God) Good Night and Sleep Well -- God Willing. <strong smile>

"Vince" <nobody@home.invalid> wrote in message
[...]

How is AT&T dial-up treating you?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 02:07:27 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>How is AT&T dial-up treating you?

<OffTopic />

About as well as can be expected for dialup, although I don't
recommend them as an ISP to anybody. The pending buyout by SBC makes
the future pretty uncertain for ATT Consumer products.

As an ISP, their email system could be better. They use a proprietary
blacklist to silently drop email in the bit bucket. End result - if
you've got email coming from outside the US, you can never be assured
that it will be delivered to your inbox AND you'll never see any
indication on your end that email has been refused. The proprietary
nature also guarantees that there is no way to anticipate which
overseas ISPs have been blocked.

Their news servers are having retention and completion issues, but
what non-premium news servers aren't having the same problems these
days?

And lastly, it's dialup. The whole connection thing depends on the
quality of the phone lines - in our case SBC. And the lines aren't
the best - I've got line noise that inhibits throughput and
occasionally causes disconnects - but the Cubs are gonna win the World
Series before SBC even considers improving our phone lines.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

vinCe

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 01:11:10 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>I will research your replies, Vince and post to the appropriate Microsoft
>department and yes I am a valuable 98SE user since I also use XP PRO.

Thanks! Your efforts are appreciated by those of us with older
hardware.

While I understand Microsoft's position, I expect them to live up to
their publicly announced goals - provide "critical" updates for Win98
until June 30, 2006. I've already listed two critical updates that
remain unpatched (one since the January update, the other since the
February update) and I'm still not sure how vulnerable Win98 is to
exploits in .png graphics.

Win98 on a 300Hz Pentium II with 128MB of memory and 20GB HDD does the
stuff I want to do. I've got a system that works well and is trouble
free, even if it isn't the fastest box on the block. I see little
reason to upgrade anything - other than the fact that I'm vulnerable
as hell on the 'net, because my operating system is not being fully
maintained by the manufacturer.

>I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better than
> WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?

Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.

And as side effect there will be also other components
in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
(I think that it is typical for microsoft.)

Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
(just speculations)

http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx

Regards, Roman

> : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
> : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
> : Windows Media Player 10.
> :
> : Best regards, Roman
> :
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or about
having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there to clear
up this confusion?

:
[...]

The confusion is due to your trying to pin down what "roman modic" is
only speculating about. Not even Microsoft yet knows the eventual
resolution of these issues, when IE7 will be released, what it will
include, whether WMP will be included and whether it will be forced, or
even whether it will be WMP 10 at all, and not WMP 11, 12 or 13.5.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or
about
> having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there
to clear
> up this confusion?
>
> "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:eP7X%23snHFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> : >I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it
better
> than
> : > WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?
> : >
> :
> : Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
> : be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.
> :
> : And as side effect there will be also other components
> : in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
> : (I think that it is typical for microsoft.)
> :
> : Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
> : (just speculations)
> :
> : http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx
> :
> : Regards, Roman
> :
> : > : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
> : > : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
> : > : Windows Media Player 10.
> : > :
> : > : Best regards, Roman
> : > :
> : > :
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, Gary. Idle Speculation and that is a good reason for me to not
cross-post with the xp general newsgroup as much in the future. You Win --
<smile>

: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
[...]
: > : > :
: > : > : Best regards, Roman
: > : > :
: > : > :
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
>I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or
>about
> having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there to
> clear
> up this confusion?

I'm sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I should not
write what I think ;)

I apologise for this and will be more careful in the future

Best regards,
Roman

> "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:eP7X%23snHFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> : >I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better
> than
> : > WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?
> : >
> :
> : Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
> : be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.
> :
> : And as side effect there will be also other components
> : in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
> : (I think that it is typical for microsoft.)
> :
> : Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
> : (just speculations)
> :
> : http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx
> :
> : Regards, Roman
> :
> : > : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
> : > : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
> : > : Windows Media Player 10.
> : > :
> : > : Best regards, Roman
> : > :