Microsoft's future plans (???)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641

This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's future
will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id IE 7
will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
28 answers Last reply
More about microsoft future plans
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    >
    > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
    > future
    > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id IE
    > 7
    > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I'll betcha a c-note that it's not. <eg>

    Dan wrote:
    > ...Also, we do not know [if] IE 7
    > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone browser they
    would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would seem to
    indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future version of IE,
    compatible with older operating systems.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    >
    > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's future
    > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id IE 7
    > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
    browser they
    > would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
    seem to
    > indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
    version of IE,
    > compatible with older operating systems.

    Bill Gates' actual words when he announced IE7,
    reproduced from his own web site:

    "And, one thing to be clear on, this will be in the Internet Explorer
    that's available to people using Windows XP SP 2."

    So it won't even run on Windows XP, never mind Win 2K
    or earlier. You will need Windows XP SP2.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Hugh. I see your point.

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    :
    : "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
[...]
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

    Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their products
    through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also be
    free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated. I wonder if
    Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
    with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try alternative
    browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market share.
    I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.

    : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    :
    : --
    : Mike Hall
    : MVP - Windows Shell/user
    :
    : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    : >
    : > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
    : > future
    : > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know id
    IE
    : > 7
    : > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    When I got 98's I was informed by the dealer that support would end July
    2002.
    So you should be thankful Microsoft gave you an extension .
    You know the old outhouses didn't function as today because they lacked the
    plumbing and a lot of other improvements - so the old OS lacks the
    foundation for supporting the features of today.
    Anyone is free to use any product of their preference. Most people try more
    than one.
    --
    mae

    | http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
    | --snip--
    I wonder if
    | Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
    | with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try
    alternative
    | browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market
    share.
    | I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.
    |
    | ---snip-
    | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    | :
    | : --
    | : Mike Hall
    | : MVP - Windows Shell/user
    | :
    | : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | :
    | : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    | : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | : >
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    | : >

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Dan

    MS have chosen to build IE7 on the strengths of SP2.. I don't see how that
    could be a bad thing.. asking MS to supply IE7 or a version thereof for Win
    98 is like asking GM to provide front-end crumple zones and side impact
    airbags that can be retro-fitted to a '57 Cadillac Fleetwood convertible..

    Re. IE6.. there are more than a few warnings about the use of it, but the
    conditions attached to getting a problem through vulnerability #61 whereby..

    ...... 1. you are deleting vbrun300.dll at the same time as NTLDR.. 2. were
    born on a Thursday between 1-3pm in the afternoon.. 3. have a Yorkshire
    Terrier called Tempest that has one blue eye and one green.. 4. your wife
    left you and 5. your kids have been abducted by aliens.. is not necessarily
    a good reason to panic and change browser..

    People will use whatever they feel happy with.. if a user downloads
    something other than IE, and they prefer the features, then way to go.. I
    know of some who still struggle along with Netscape.. well, good for them..
    I use IE6 without problems, as do others, which proves that it can be done..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
    >
    > Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their
    > products
    > through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also
    > be
    > free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated. I wonder if
    > Microsoft is digging themselves into a deep hole by only supporting XP SP2
    > with IE 7. I am starting to think more and more users will try
    > alternative
    > browsers and media players and Microsoft will continue to lose market
    > share.
    > I think Microsoft needs a new market strategy.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    > :
    > : --
    > : Mike Hall
    > : MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > :
    > : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > : >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    > : >
    > : > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
    > : > future
    > : > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know
    > id
    > IE
    > : > 7
    > : > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone browser they
    > would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would seem to
    > indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future version of IE,
    > compatible with older operating systems.

    They also stated that IE6 was going to be the last stand alone browser,
    full stop. The next one was suppose to be in Longhorn. so they do change
    their mind now and again. but I also can not see MS producing IE 7 for
    windows 98 or ME. Download Firefox, a better browser anyway.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I see what you are saying, Mike but I will continue to use 98SE until 30 June
    2006 when Microsoft ends critical updates for 98, 98SE and ME and even after
    that I will use it in an off-line environment. It is an awesome operating
    system. It can run my old MS-DOS programs and does not seem to choke as much
    as XP PRO. when I do powerful editing and configuring of the boot.ini, the
    registry (manually editing) and other stuff.

    : Dan
    :
[...]
    : > :
    : > : --
    : > : Mike Hall
    : > : MVP - Windows Shell/user
    : > :
    : > : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : > : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : > : >
    : > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    : > : >
    : > : > This article raises some interesting questions as to what Microsoft's
    : > : > future
    : > : > will be and whether their gamble will pay off. Also, we do not know
    : > id
    : > IE
    : > : > 7
    : > : > will be supported by 98SE as I think it should for security reasons.
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I am thankful that Microsoft has updated 98, 98SE and ME until 30 June 2006.
    I dual-boot with 98SE and XP PRO. so I use both older and newer technology.
    Will my only resource be to buy Virtual Machine when support runs out and
    will this provide me with the environment where I can have true DOS mode and
    powerful configuration options. BTW, according to Chris Quirke, MVP DOS is
    not dead because Microsoft does not have a maintenance operating system that
    has replaced DOS so until Microsoft provides this maintence operating system
    perhaps in Longhorn or Whistler then I will not see DOS as being considered
    dead.

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
[...]
    : |
    : | ---snip-
    : | "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    : | news:OtnrSvbHFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : | : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    : | :
    : | : --
    : | : Mike Hall
    : | : MVP - Windows Shell/user
    : | :
    : | : http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    :
    : | :
    : | : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : | : news:OEUcf9aHFHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : | : >
    : http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403641
    : | : >
    : |
    :
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Ad. I am already using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1 version as my default
    browser. I use IE to update Windows and in other rare cases.

    "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote in message
    : glee wrote:
    : > Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
    browser they
    : > would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
    seem to
    : > indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
    version of IE,
    : > compatible with older operating systems.
    :
    :
    : They also stated that IE6 was going to be the last stand alone browser,
    : full stop. The next one was suppose to be in Longhorn. so they do change
    : their mind now and again. but I also can not see MS producing IE 7 for
    : windows 98 or ME. Download Firefox, a better browser anyway.
    :
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    >> Microsoft stated quite some time ago that IE6 was the last stand-alone
    > browser they
    >> would release, and that would support any OS older than XP. That would
    > seem to
    >> indicate that there is no intention to make IE7, or any other future
    > version of IE,
    >> compatible with older operating systems.
    >
    > Bill Gates' actual words when he announced IE7,
    > reproduced from his own web site:
    >
    > "And, one thing to be clear on, this will be in the Internet Explorer
    > that's available to people using Windows XP SP 2."
    >
    > So it won't even run on Windows XP, never mind Win 2K
    > or earlier. You will need Windows XP SP2.

    Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
    together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
    Windows Media Player 10.

    Best regards, Roman
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better than
    WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?

    :

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 00:54:02 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1
    >
    >Well 98, 98SE and ME users will still get critical updates for their products
    >through 30 June 2006. Also, according to this site IE and WMP should also be
    >free of critical vulnerabilities as long as they are updated.

    Deep down in your heart, you don't actually believe this, do you?

    There are at least two unpatched vulnerabilities that MS has
    determined to be "critical", but have yet to provide security updates
    to Win 98(SE) users in any form.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx>
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-015.mspx>

    We've already been hung out to dry on these two exploits and I expect
    there will several more unpatched "critical" vulnerabilities in
    Win98(SE) before we get to the end of June 2006. And that's not even
    talking about vulnerabilities that Microsoft deems to be less than
    "critical" for Win98(SE).

    IMO, extending the life of Win98(SE) was eye wash and MS never had any
    intention of doing more than holding the carrot out in front of
    Win98(SE) users long enough for them to upgrade their hardware and
    automatically upgrade to WinXP.

    WinXP's largest competitor is older versions of Windows. You will
    upgrade to WinXP, even if you're kicking and screaming all the way.

    I will research your replies, Vince and post to the appropriate Microsoft
    department and yes I am a valuable 98SE user since I also use XP PRO. and
    work as a Target Team Specialist. I also have some connections with high
    ranking Government officials and used to work at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
    in Tucson, Arizona. I highly doubt Microsoft was ready to deal with someone
    like me who will go to the highest level necessary to try and get their ideas
    met. (Highest level on this Earth is the Government --- Highest level in my
    Faith is God) Good Night and Sleep Well -- God Willing. <strong smile>

    "Vince" <nobody@home.invalid> wrote in message
[...]

    How is AT&T dial-up treating you?

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 02:07:27 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >How is AT&T dial-up treating you?

    <OffTopic />

    About as well as can be expected for dialup, although I don't
    recommend them as an ISP to anybody. The pending buyout by SBC makes
    the future pretty uncertain for ATT Consumer products.

    As an ISP, their email system could be better. They use a proprietary
    blacklist to silently drop email in the bit bucket. End result - if
    you've got email coming from outside the US, you can never be assured
    that it will be delivered to your inbox AND you'll never see any
    indication on your end that email has been refused. The proprietary
    nature also guarantees that there is no way to anticipate which
    overseas ISPs have been blocked.

    Their news servers are having retention and completion issues, but
    what non-premium news servers aren't having the same problems these
    days?

    And lastly, it's dialup. The whole connection thing depends on the
    quality of the phone lines - in our case SBC. And the lines aren't
    the best - I've got line noise that inhibits throughput and
    occasionally causes disconnects - but the Cubs are gonna win the World
    Series before SBC even considers improving our phone lines.

    We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 01:11:10 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >I will research your replies, Vince and post to the appropriate Microsoft
    >department and yes I am a valuable 98SE user since I also use XP PRO.

    Thanks! Your efforts are appreciated by those of us with older
    hardware.

    While I understand Microsoft's position, I expect them to live up to
    their publicly announced goals - provide "critical" updates for Win98
    until June 30, 2006. I've already listed two critical updates that
    remain unpatched (one since the January update, the other since the
    February update) and I'm still not sure how vulnerable Win98 is to
    exploits in .png graphics.

    Win98 on a 300Hz Pentium II with 128MB of memory and 20GB HDD does the
    stuff I want to do. I've got a system that works well and is trouble
    free, even if it isn't the fastest box on the block. I see little
    reason to upgrade anything - other than the fact that I'm vulnerable
    as hell on the 'net, because my operating system is not being fully
    maintained by the manufacturer.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    >I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better than
    > WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?

    Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
    be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.

    And as side effect there will be also other components
    in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
    (I think that it is typical for microsoft.)

    Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
    (just speculations)

    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx

    Regards, Roman

    > : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
    > : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
    > : Windows Media Player 10.
    > :
    > : Best regards, Roman
    > :
    > :

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or about
    having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there to clear
    up this confusion?

    :
[...]
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The confusion is due to your trying to pin down what "roman modic" is
    only speculating about. Not even Microsoft yet knows the eventual
    resolution of these issues, when IE7 will be released, what it will
    include, whether WMP will be included and whether it will be forced, or
    even whether it will be WMP 10 at all, and not WMP 11, 12 or 13.5.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or
    about
    > having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there
    to clear
    > up this confusion?
    >
    > "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > : news:eP7X%23snHFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > : >I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it
    better
    > than
    > : > WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?
    > : >
    > :
    > : Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
    > : be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.
    > :
    > : And as side effect there will be also other components
    > : in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
    > : (I think that it is typical for microsoft.)
    > :
    > : Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
    > : (just speculations)
    > :
    > : http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx
    > :
    > : Regards, Roman
    > :
    > : > : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
    > : > : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
    > : > : Windows Media Player 10.
    > : > :
    > : > : Best regards, Roman
    > : > :
    > : > :
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks, Gary. Idle Speculation and that is a good reason for me to not
    cross-post with the xp general newsgroup as much in the future. You Win --
    <smile>

    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
[...]
    : > : > :
    : > : > : Best regards, Roman
    : > : > :
    : > : > :
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    >I checked out the web-link you left and it said nothing about a SP3 or
    >about
    > having to have WMP 10. What are you implying -- any MVP's out there to
    > clear
    > up this confusion?

    I'm sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I should not
    write what I think ;)

    I apologise for this and will be more careful in the future

    Best regards,
    Roman

    > "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > : news:eP7X%23snHFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > : >I actually use WMP 9 on both 98SE and XP PRO. because I like it better
    > than
    > : > WMP 10. Why would Microsoft limit IE 7 to WMP 10?
    > : >
    > :
    > : Well, I just wanted to say that maybe IE7 will not
    > : be available as standalone download but only as XP SP3.
    > :
    > : And as side effect there will be also other components
    > : in SP3, that will be automatically installed.
    > : (I think that it is typical for microsoft.)
    > :
    > : Maybe WMP 10 will be included because of enhanced DRM
    > : (just speculations)
    > :
    > : http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/02/15/36017.aspx
    > :
    > : Regards, Roman
    > :
    > : > : Most likely it will be available only as XP SP3,
    > : > : together with Indigo, Avalon, .NET 2.0 and
    > : > : Windows Media Player 10.
    > : > :
    > : > : Best regards, Roman
    > : > :
    > : > :
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I understand your concern and I am working on it. I have been really busy
    fixing problems at Target Corp. but I will help you as I have the time. As
    well as being helpful to consumers it would be helpful to the environment by
    not having to dispose of all these older computers that still work. Heck, I
    still have my IBM PCjr which was my first computer and my dad taught me BASIC
    on it when I was 7 as compared to other dads who teach their son(s) stuff to
    do with fixing things. :> Anyway, maybe I will donate the old IBM PCjr to a
    museum or even to IBM if they want it back to put on display in a museum or
    even use to teach a new generation about what PC's (Personnel Computers) were
    like in 1984. LOL!! Come to think of it George Orwell's book was called
    1984 -- anyway I must go and have a great day!

[...]
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks -- I am pleased to see that Microsoft does a good job of maintaining
    these newsgroups. It is too bad that they are not advertised better to the
    general public but if that was the case maybe the newsgroups would be
    overwhelmed with questions such as "How do I turn on the computer" and so
    this lack of publicity may be a good thing.

[...]
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I accept your apology and thank you for it, Roman. Wow, AFAIK this is the
    first time someone has had to apologize to me. I am so used to having to
    apologize to everyone else because I wrote without thinking. Anyway, that is
    why there is almost always someone here to correct misinformation. Have an
    awesome day! <smile>

    :
[...]
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I understand your concern, Vince and I will contact Microsoft about your
    concerns and let you know their response.

[...]

Internet Explorer Security Microsoft Windows