Internet Explorer browser below 90% market share

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 28, 2005 12:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
Windows XP Professional.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...
February 28, 2005 12:15:38 PM

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003.
Microsoft has
> already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any
security
> updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other
version
> than XP.
>

> "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make
IE 7
> > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to
not slip
> > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something
other
> > than
> > Windows XP Professional.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...

Well, there's no reason to expect IE 7 to be a real
improvement given IE's history, especially in terms
of security. The basic design of IE, with all of its
programming hooks and privileged access to the core
of Windows, means that it's inherently flawed and
genuinely unfixable without a major rewrite that
would ruin all the IE-specific add-ons that too many
software manufactures foolishly built into their
products. And hackers and malware writers have been
advancing their craft far more rapidly than Microsoft's
been dealing with it. IE's dead for anyone concerned
about security and good product design.

-BC
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

? service pack 2 does'nt work with windows 98. IE7 should'nt either for
security reasons. its 2005 people [upgrade] ,firefox does'nt impress me at
this momment.

"Dan" wrote:

> Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
> compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
> quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...

February 28, 2005 2:21:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft has
already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other version
than XP.

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
> compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
> quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
> than
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...

February 28, 2005 2:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security update
then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all components
such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed as
critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
details.

news:o aUmCGbHFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft has
: already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
: updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other version
: than XP.
:
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
: > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
slip
: > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
: > than
: > Windows XP Professional.
: >
: >
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...
: >
: >
:
:
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:21:08 PM

Dan wrote:
> I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security update
> then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
> critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all components
> such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed as
> critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
> details.

Well, it is their game, their rules. They can also change or interpret
their rules as they see fit.

You mention WMP-- I see that WMP 10 is not available for anything other
than the XP flavors. Not that I want it...but it does show *you* that it
is clearly their decision as to what is "critical" to what. Not saying
there is anything wrong with that. I can fully understand the desire to
not support radically different product lines forever. After all, Ford
doesn't support the Pinto anymore.
February 28, 2005 2:21:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I can see your point, MM but we are talking about computers and networks and
not all cars are connected to the Internet, AFAIK. Also, in regards to WMP
10 I do not use it on my XP PRO. side of my system either. I do not like it
and AFAIK, WMP 10 is not considered a critical update because it is a
suggested update and therefore does not fall under the critical updates being
supported clause. BTW, I hope to work for Microsoft within 10 years and plan
to go back to the UA and get a computer science undergraduate degree to add
to my other Humanities degree. Also, I hope to take some certification
courses to show that I know my stuff after I get my undergraduate degree. My
passion and dream job is to work for Microsoft Windows Development Team
and/or to work with Computer Networking Security even though I am already
doing that on a limited basis for the Target Corporation in Tucson, Arizona.
Have a great day!

"Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
news:o 1QmzibHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: Dan wrote:
[...]
February 28, 2005 3:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just tested the Firefox browser. I can tell you that I have seen more than
enough. I have read a ton of raving reviews and I don't know what these
people are on but this is the slowest piece of garbage that I have used
recently. IE beat it in speed every time. IE is 50% to 100% faster in my
estimation. That's on the pages that actually loaded fully. What a joke and
waste of my time.

Let's see how long it is before they start bundling AOL IM and Weather Bug
with this junk.

Thank God they gave MS a kick in the behind to fix many of the problems that
have plauged us for years. I'll stick with XP Pro w/SP2. No thanks Mozilla.

"It's a sign of the times, going forward in reverse."

"Dan" wrote:

> Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
> compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
> quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:24:53 PM

Dan wrote:
> I can see your point, MM but we are talking about computers and networks and
> not all cars are connected to the Internet, AFAIK.

Well, you didn't see my point. Cars aren't computers, which I realize,
but my point was that there are people who still drive/love Pintos, just
as there are people who use old computers and software. That doesn't
mean anybody has to provide support for them.

Good luck with your ambitions, you have some good goals.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:39:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

If IE 7 is to be considered a critial security update, then why weren't the
IE 6 updates from XP SP2 made available to the other Windows? MS is pushing
everyone to XP, since they have stopped supporting older version of Windows
(9x and ME; later this year 2000). Hell, they are even pushing SP2 thru,
by April 12.

>I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security
>update
> then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
> critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all
> components
> such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed
> as
> critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
> details.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> news:o aUmCGbHFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft
> has
> : already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
> : updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other
> version
> : than XP.
> :
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE
> 7
> : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
> slip
> : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
> : > than
> : > Windows XP Professional.
> : >
> : >
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:13:00 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:05:03 -0800, uggabugga wrote:

> Thank God they gave MS a kick in the behind to fix many of the problems that
> have plauged us for years. I'll stick with XP Pro w/SP2. No thanks Mozilla.

Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
print that IE does.

Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it, and
if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
work correctly.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That may be true but as long as I'm not constanty getting hit by stuff and my
users can actually work all day, it's good enough for government work. Trust,
I'm not all Rah Rah for MS either. I just need to do other things besides
cleaning up the same mess over and over. In addition, my users need to use
Active X and I see that Firefox is not compatible. Competition is good for
everyone so I do applaud their efforts to some degree. At least people have a
choice if they do want to use it.

"Leythos" wrote:

> Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
> are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
> may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
> print that IE does.
>
> Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it, and
> if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
> browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
> work correctly.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

March 1, 2005 12:09:18 AM

lesjf wrote:
> ? service pack 2 does'nt work with windows 98. IE7 should'nt either for
> security reasons. its 2005 people [upgrade] ,firefox does'nt impress me at
> this momment.

Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:16:58 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:05:05 -0800, uggabugga wrote:

> In addition, my users need to use Active X and I see that Firefox is not
> compatible.

Yea, AX is one sore spot for me and the developers. While I push to not
implement AX in projects they often are forced to use it in order to
interface with other parts of projects. It's kind of like web developers
that code sites for IE or that only test them in IE and the customer that
lets them get away with it.

We use to have to test all public sites for government and corporate
clients on Win95, 98, ME, 2000, and now XP and using IE 5, 6, Netscape
4.08 Taiwan version, 4.76 US, and later version of Netscape - luckily they
never asked us to test using the AOL browser versions :)

With the exception of two sites, one a SYSCO food ordering site for a
client, and a banking site, FF has worked well for our clients - they
still have IE for those problem sites, but FF is set as the default
browser on all machines and has decrease maintenance actions in measurable
numbers.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
March 1, 2005 3:29:44 AM

uggabugga wrote:
> That may be true but as long as I'm not constanty getting hit by stuff and my
> users can actually work all day, it's good enough for government work. Trust,
> I'm not all Rah Rah for MS either. I just need to do other things besides
> cleaning up the same mess over and over. In addition, my users need to use
> Active X and I see that Firefox is not compatible. Competition is good for
> everyone so I do applaud their efforts to some degree. At least people have a
> choice if they do want to use it.

Firefox is more secure because it do not use Active X, that is a
blessing. Active X is a Microsoft invention and not a web standard.
I am getting fed up of Microsoft thinking they can do what they want.
March 1, 2005 3:41:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

No wonder Mozilla Firefox has become so popular.

[...]
: > :
: > :
: > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: > : news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make
IE
: > 7
: > : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
: > slip
: > : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something
other
: > : > than
: > : > Windows XP Professional.
: > : >
: > : >
: >
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:
March 1, 2005 3:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well Firefox is quicker for me than IE but I use a cable connection.

: "Dan" wrote:
:
: > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
: > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
slip
: > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
than
: > Windows XP Professional.
: >
: >
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-...
: >
: >
: >
March 1, 2005 3:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I hope you use SpywareBlaster. Also, you will notice that SpywareBlaster
blocks a few hundred tracking cookies in FireFox but several thousands Active
X, tracking cookies and other risks with IE.

: "Leythos" wrote:
:
: > Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
: > are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
: > may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
: > print that IE does.
: >
: > Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it,
and
: > if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
: > browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
: > work correctly.
: >
: > --
: > spam999free@rrohio.com
: > remove 999 in order to email me
: >
: >
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:02:04 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:09:18 -0600, Ad <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote:

> Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
> people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
> No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
> and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.

I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera browser
user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.

--
Albert Sims
West Monroe,Louisiana

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have never tried Opera so I cannot comment.

"Albert Sims" <alsims65@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o p.smyutqx5sjn1bj@your-pa86z1i3g7...
: On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:09:18 -0600, Ad <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote:
:
: > Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
: > people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
: > No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
: > and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.
:
: I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera browser
: user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
: compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
: used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.
:
: --
: Albert Sims
: West Monroe,Louisiana
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:43:07 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:17:28 -0600, Dan <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

> I have never tried Opera so I cannot comment.

But...you just did! ;-)

> : I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera
> browser
> : user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
> : compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
> : used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.

--
Albert Sims
West Monroe,Louisiana
March 1, 2005 2:27:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

:>
news:o p.smywp5wesjn1bj@your-pa86z1i3g7...
!