Internet Explorer browser below 90% market share

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
Windows XP Professional.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html
21 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer browser market share
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003.
    Microsoft has
    > already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any
    security
    > updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other
    version
    > than XP.
    >

    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make
    IE 7
    > > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to
    not slip
    > > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something
    other
    > > than
    > > Windows XP Professional.

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html

    Well, there's no reason to expect IE 7 to be a real
    improvement given IE's history, especially in terms
    of security. The basic design of IE, with all of its
    programming hooks and privileged access to the core
    of Windows, means that it's inherently flawed and
    genuinely unfixable without a major rewrite that
    would ruin all the IE-specific add-ons that too many
    software manufactures foolishly built into their
    products. And hackers and malware writers have been
    advancing their craft far more rapidly than Microsoft's
    been dealing with it. IE's dead for anyone concerned
    about security and good product design.

    -BC
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    ? service pack 2 does'nt work with windows 98. IE7 should'nt either for
    security reasons. its 2005 people [upgrade] ,firefox does'nt impress me at
    this momment.

    "Dan" wrote:

    > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
    > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
    > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
    > Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft has
    already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
    updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other version
    than XP.

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
    > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
    > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
    > than
    > Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security update
    then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
    critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all components
    such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed as
    critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
    details.

    : I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft has
    : already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
    : updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other version
    : than XP.
    :
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
    : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
    slip
    : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
    : > than
    : > Windows XP Professional.
    : >
    : >
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Dan wrote:
    > I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security update
    > then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
    > critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all components
    > such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed as
    > critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
    > details.

    Well, it is their game, their rules. They can also change or interpret
    their rules as they see fit.

    You mention WMP-- I see that WMP 10 is not available for anything other
    than the XP flavors. Not that I want it...but it does show *you* that it
    is clearly their decision as to what is "critical" to what. Not saying
    there is anything wrong with that. I can fully understand the desire to
    not support radically different product lines forever. After all, Ford
    doesn't support the Pinto anymore.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I can see your point, MM but we are talking about computers and networks and
    not all cars are connected to the Internet, AFAIK. Also, in regards to WMP
    10 I do not use it on my XP PRO. side of my system either. I do not like it
    and AFAIK, WMP 10 is not considered a critical update because it is a
    suggested update and therefore does not fall under the critical updates being
    supported clause. BTW, I hope to work for Microsoft within 10 years and plan
    to go back to the UA and get a computer science undergraduate degree to add
    to my other Humanities degree. Also, I hope to take some certification
    courses to show that I know my stuff after I get my undergraduate degree. My
    passion and dream job is to work for Microsoft Windows Development Team
    and/or to work with Computer Networking Security even though I am already
    doing that on a limited basis for the Target Corporation in Tucson, Arizona.
    Have a great day!

    "Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
    : Dan wrote:
[...]
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I just tested the Firefox browser. I can tell you that I have seen more than
    enough. I have read a ton of raving reviews and I don't know what these
    people are on but this is the slowest piece of garbage that I have used
    recently. IE beat it in speed every time. IE is 50% to 100% faster in my
    estimation. That's on the pages that actually loaded fully. What a joke and
    waste of my time.

    Let's see how long it is before they start bundling AOL IM and Weather Bug
    with this junk.

    Thank God they gave MS a kick in the behind to fix many of the problems that
    have plauged us for years. I'll stick with XP Pro w/SP2. No thanks Mozilla.

    "It's a sign of the times, going forward in reverse."

    "Dan" wrote:

    > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
    > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not slip
    > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other than
    > Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Dan wrote:
    > I can see your point, MM but we are talking about computers and networks and
    > not all cars are connected to the Internet, AFAIK.

    Well, you didn't see my point. Cars aren't computers, which I realize,
    but my point was that there are people who still drive/love Pintos, just
    as there are people who use old computers and software. That doesn't
    mean anybody has to provide support for them.

    Good luck with your ambitions, you have some good goals.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If IE 7 is to be considered a critial security update, then why weren't the
    IE 6 updates from XP SP2 made available to the other Windows? MS is pushing
    everyone to XP, since they have stopped supporting older version of Windows
    (9x and ME; later this year 2000). Hell, they are even pushing SP2 thru,
    by April 12.

    >I tend to agree with you but if IE 7 is considered a critical security
    >update
    > then it should be available for 98, 98SE and ME under the stated terms of
    > critical updates via the Microsoft's website which states that all
    > components
    > such as WMP and IE will be supported in 98, 98SE and ME if they are deemed
    > as
    > critical updates. I can post the Microsoft web-site if you want more
    > details.
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > : I believe that IE 7 may only be compatible with XP and 2003. Microsoft
    > has
    > : already made Word 2003 only work in XP and has stated that any security
    > : updates (like the Pop-up blocker) will never get into IE in other
    > version
    > : than XP.
    > :
    > :
    > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > : news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE
    > 7
    > : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
    > slip
    > : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
    > : > than
    > : > Windows XP Professional.
    > : >
    > : >
    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:05:03 -0800, uggabugga wrote:

    > Thank God they gave MS a kick in the behind to fix many of the problems that
    > have plauged us for years. I'll stick with XP Pro w/SP2. No thanks Mozilla.

    Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
    are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
    may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
    print that IE does.

    Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it, and
    if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
    browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
    work correctly.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    That may be true but as long as I'm not constanty getting hit by stuff and my
    users can actually work all day, it's good enough for government work. Trust,
    I'm not all Rah Rah for MS either. I just need to do other things besides
    cleaning up the same mess over and over. In addition, my users need to use
    Active X and I see that Firefox is not compatible. Competition is good for
    everyone so I do applaud their efforts to some degree. At least people have a
    choice if they do want to use it.

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
    > are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
    > may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
    > print that IE does.
    >
    > Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it, and
    > if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
    > browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
    > work correctly.
    >
    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    lesjf wrote:
    > ? service pack 2 does'nt work with windows 98. IE7 should'nt either for
    > security reasons. its 2005 people [upgrade] ,firefox does'nt impress me at
    > this momment.

    Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
    people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
    No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
    and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:05:05 -0800, uggabugga wrote:

    > In addition, my users need to use Active X and I see that Firefox is not
    > compatible.

    Yea, AX is one sore spot for me and the developers. While I push to not
    implement AX in projects they often are forced to use it in order to
    interface with other parts of projects. It's kind of like web developers
    that code sites for IE or that only test them in IE and the customer that
    lets them get away with it.

    We use to have to test all public sites for government and corporate
    clients on Win95, 98, ME, 2000, and now XP and using IE 5, 6, Netscape
    4.08 Taiwan version, 4.76 US, and later version of Netscape - luckily they
    never asked us to test using the AOL browser versions :)

    With the exception of two sites, one a SYSCO food ordering site for a
    client, and a banking site, FF has worked well for our clients - they
    still have IE for those problem sites, but FF is set as the default
    browser on all machines and has decrease maintenance actions in measurable
    numbers.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    uggabugga wrote:
    > That may be true but as long as I'm not constanty getting hit by stuff and my
    > users can actually work all day, it's good enough for government work. Trust,
    > I'm not all Rah Rah for MS either. I just need to do other things besides
    > cleaning up the same mess over and over. In addition, my users need to use
    > Active X and I see that Firefox is not compatible. Competition is good for
    > everyone so I do applaud their efforts to some degree. At least people have a
    > choice if they do want to use it.

    Firefox is more secure because it do not use Active X, that is a
    blessing. Active X is a Microsoft invention and not a web standard.
    I am getting fed up of Microsoft thinking they can do what they want.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No wonder Mozilla Firefox has become so popular.

[...]
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : > : news:eX$C8CbHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make
    IE
    : > 7
    : > : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
    : > slip
    : > : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something
    other
    : > : > than
    : > : > Windows XP Professional.
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : >
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Well Firefox is quicker for me than IE but I use a cable connection.

    : "Dan" wrote:
    :
    : > Firefox is becoming really popular. Hopefully, Microsoft will make IE 7
    : > compatible with 98, 98SE and ME to allow their use of browsers to not
    slip
    : > quickly due to the fact that over 50% of computers use something other
    than
    : > Windows XP Professional.
    : >
    : >
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/69899/firefox-takeup-slows-ie-drops-below-90-per-cent.html
    : >
    : >
    : >
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I hope you use SpywareBlaster. Also, you will notice that SpywareBlaster
    blocks a few hundred tracking cookies in FireFox but several thousands Active
    X, tracking cookies and other risks with IE.

    : "Leythos" wrote:
    :
    : > Unless you run IE in high-security mode you're not safe and the exploits
    : > are still there for many. That's the nice thing about FF, even though it
    : > may be slightly slower than IE, it doesn't have near the exploit foot
    : > print that IE does.
    : >
    : > Even MS was suggesting that users stop using IE until they patched it,
    and
    : > if you follow the High-Security settings published by MS, most common web
    : > browsing is broken, only sites that you add to the "Trusted" zone will
    : > work correctly.
    : >
    : > --
    : > spam999free@rrohio.com
    : > remove 999 in order to email me
    : >
    : >
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:09:18 -0600, Ad <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote:

    > Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
    > people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
    > No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
    > and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.

    I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera browser
    user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
    compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
    used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.

    --
    Albert Sims
    West Monroe,Louisiana

    I have never tried Opera so I cannot comment.

    "Albert Sims" <alsims65@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    : On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:09:18 -0600, Ad <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote:
    :
    : > Maybe some people have not got a computer that can run XP, also some
    : > people may not want to pay the high price that Xp is sold for.
    : > No one in their right mind would even use IE7, Firefox is more secure
    : > and a much better browser than anything Microsoft produce.
    :
    : I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera browser
    : user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
    : compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
    : used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.
    :
    : --
    : Albert Sims
    : West Monroe,Louisiana
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:17:28 -0600, Dan <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    > I have never tried Opera so I cannot comment.

    But...you just did! ;-)

    > : I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera
    > browser
    > : user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
    > : compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
    > : used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.

    --
    Albert Sims
    West Monroe,Louisiana
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    :>
    : On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:17:28 -0600, Dan <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
    :
    : > I have never tried Opera so I cannot comment.
    :
    : But...you just did! ;-)
    :
    : > : I must be really in the "minority". I've been a registered Opera
    : > browser
    : > : user since 2002. I've tried Firefox a few times, but find it clunky
    : > : compared to Opera. But it might only be that after these years, I'm too
    : > : used to Opera, and using anything else just seems awkward.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : --
    : Albert Sims
    : West Monroe,Louisiana

Internet Explorer Browsers Microsoft Windows Product