Open With screen runs

ms

W98SE
I run a clean system, very few startup programs. A cold boot each morning.

Starting yesterday, at bootup, when the desktop appears, and during loading of my
several system tray programs, the Open With screen shows, have to cancel to
continue loading my programs. There was no particular issue on my hard drive
yesterday.

What typically causes this, and how to stop it?

I suspect that some program or file, perhaps a trojan or spyware, is in one
of the start up points and W98 does not know what to use to open it. If I
am right, use this procedure to try to identify the culprit:

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

Ron Badour wrote:
> I suspect that some program or file, perhaps a trojan or spyware, is in one
> of the start up points and W98 does not know what to use to open it. If I
> am right, use this procedure to try to identify the culprit:
>
> How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

Thanks, Ron.
In the meantime, I found the problem, goes along with what you said. The day
before, I was trying a bunch of no-install programs, and one of them must have put
an entry in my startup sequence. I used Startup Control Panel, found the entry, no
related program on the hard drive, must have previously deleted it. So I deleted
the entry, removed the problem.