1900xtx on a nForce 4 SLI

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Did research on graphic cards and chipsets...

After my research I decided to go with the 1900xtx video card. I also like the nForce4 SLI chipset.. It had better reviews then the Cross 3200 chipset.

My question is, will a 1900xtx work on a nForce 4 SLI chipset?

Keep in mind that I have no plans on going duel video cards. Meaning I understand that I won't have the option to go duel video ATI cards on a nForce 4 SLI chipset.

At this time I'm looking specifically at the Asus A8N-SLI premium mother board with the 1900xtx. Is this a good combination?

Frenchy

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Sure it will work on the a SLI Motherboard you would just have to get Crossfire Motherboard to run two of them. I have a X1900XT on a Asus A8N
SLI Premium Motherboard for about two months and had no problems.
Just make sure you have enough power to run it at least a 450 watt PSU.

Asus A8N SLI Premium
AMD X2 4400+
2 Gigs Dual Corsair XMS
X1900XT 512 MB
Creative XFI
250 Gig Seagate HD
550Watt PSU.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I thought it would work but still wondered about it.... Better to ask then find out the hard way...

I did go with a 550w psu but thanks again for the reminder about needing it...

Frenchy

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Got the new system built and everything works great.....

Just OC'd the processor so far....

Wanted to put a closer on this thread....

Frenchy

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

Frenchy

Just curious as to why you would spend the extra $$$ on an sli motherboard when you could have gotten something like the Asus A8N5X for $79 off of newegg.com?

I have that paired with my X1900XT and it works wonderful.

CorwinRathe

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I'm running a X1900 XFX fine on a A8N-SLI Deluxe board. And you can run two cards in single mode on the boards as well. I've ran a FireGL in the other slot with no problems at all.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Frenchy

Just curious as to why you would spend the extra $$$ on an sli motherboard when you could have gotten something like the Asus A8N5X for $79 off of newegg.com?

I have that paired with my X1900XT and it works wonderful.
The main reason I went with this motherboard is that the nForce 4 SLI chipset performs better then the one offered by ATI. (looking at the big picture, not just graphic support). This does limit my option of going duel video cards since I have the ATI 1900xtx. Something I took into consideration before making my purchase..

Frenchy

Frenchy

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
perhaps the same reason that i did it... passive cooling, more connections/add-ons and the extra pci-e slots are all good. Primarily the passive cooling and extras are what i like.

and the nforce4 chipset is just a reliable, stable and performer of a chipset.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
DFI Xpress 3200 > DFI SLI Expert.

Xpress 3200 is really holding its own. And yes you can run CF on SLI boards and visa versa it just becomes hairy. CF on SLI board is a walk in the park from what I hear, just plug em in, install the drivers, connect them and the driver will do the rest. SLI on CF is must trickier because you have to find a driver hack to allow the nvdrivers to recognize SLI on CF boards. There used to be a patch widely availible at the beg. of march but Nvidia came down hard on them. It still exists just much harder to find.

I fried my DFI expert board last week and I just placed an order for a DFI XPress3200 board 30min ago and I intend on running 2 7900GTX's in SLI on it. 8O

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
perhaps the same reason that i did it... passive cooling, more connections/add-ons and the extra pci-e slots are all good. Primarily the passive cooling and extras are what i like.

and the nforce4 chipset is just a reliable, stable and performer of a chipset.

Well the having the nforce 4 chipset is certainly understandable however their are less expensive choices that offer the nforce 4 chipset without having to spend extra $$$ on an SLI board that you will never use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
who says i will never use it? :twisted:

I'll admit that xfire was never in the plan in the purchase i made, but there is enough info saying it can be done so who knows? But my main reasoning was the passive cooing and all the extras. So I am using it, as most of the $ is in those aspects for me and therefore worth it.

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
who says i will never use it? :twisted:

I'll admit that xfire was never in the plan in the purchase i made, but there is enough info saying it can be done so who knows? But my main reasoning was the passive cooing and all the extras. So I am using it, as most of the $ is in those aspects for me and therefore worth it.

Cool man, that all makes sense then :wink:

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
How is the A8N5X for Opteron overclocking? I'm in the market for a motherboard to go with an Opteron 144.

Too tell you the truth you could probably find another motherboard that would overclock a bit better. I can only seem to get my sandiego 4000+ up to 2650ghz :( My temps are fine and I have tried increasing the voltage in small increments and no matter what thats all I can get out of her.

The main reason I went with this board was not for overclocking but for the fact that this was my very first build and this board is the most simple yet stable and reliable board that I could get for the money.

Once crossfire gets all their issues ironed out I will probably go that rout later on and pair it up with a couple of DX10 cards :wink: but im not looking to do anything like this for atleast 2yrs from now.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
The card will work fine without any issues. You cannot run dual X1900 cards, but you can run a single one.
Actually you can run Crossfire on an SLI or Intel 975X board.

Yeah the issues becomes finding the hack and its not gaurenteed to work though from what I read it works most of the time.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
The Xpress 3200 had good reviews and this chipset was my first choice in the begining as I was going with the ATI 1900xtx...

Apon reading more and more reviews, TomsHardware said the Southbridge was slower in performance then the one used with the nForce 4.

Since I have a couple of harddrives and things like a dvd rom etc, I went with the nForce 4 instead.

So again, I was looking at the over all big picture and not just graphic performance.

I'm by no means saying the Xpress 3200 is a bad choice for people. Just that the nForce 4 chipset was a better choice for me...

Frenchy