Problem with installing Norton Anti Virus 2005

I am using Win 98. I have just tried to install Norton Anti Virus over the
top of Anti Virus 2004 using their automatic installation proceedure. I get
part way through the process and then the message "The setup was unable to
update the MSI System component" appears and it refers me to Microsoft for
help. I have had a look at the FAQs but can't find anything that helps.

I'd be very grateful for any help anyuone can offer with this problem.

Robert
2 answers Last reply
More about problem installing norton anti virus 2005

    This is not the exact same error but the article has good troubleshooting
    steps for problems with the Windows Installer Service. Give the resolution
    steps a shot. There is also a link to download & install Windows Installer
    2.0.

    "Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
    message when you try to add or remove a program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315346

    PattyL

    "Robert K" <RobertK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I am using Win 98. I have just tried to install Norton Anti Virus over
    > the
    > top of Anti Virus 2004 using their automatic installation proceedure. I
    > get
    > part way through the process and then the message "The setup was unable to
    > update the MSI System component" appears and it refers me to Microsoft for
    > help. I have had a look at the FAQs but can't find anything that helps.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any help anyuone can offer with this problem.
    >
    > Robert

    First off you need to learn to read instructions that come with apps before
    installing them. Every Symantec application states to uninstall ANY version
    older or recent before re/installing ANY version, 99.9% of the time an over
    the top install will give you the royal screw.

    See if this helps get you cleaned up:
    http://tinyurl.com/4bv5g

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Robert K" <RobertK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I am using Win 98. I have just tried to install Norton Anti Virus over
    > the
    > top of Anti Virus 2004 using their automatic installation proceedure. I
    > get
    > part way through the process and then the message "The setup was unable to
    > update the MSI System component" appears and it refers me to Microsoft for
    > help. I have had a look at the FAQs but can't find anything that helps.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any help anyuone can offer with this problem.
    >
    > Robert

Norton Microsoft Antivirus Windows