Problem with installing Norton Anti Virus 2005

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 28, 2005 5:19:04 PM

I am using Win 98. I have just tried to install Norton Anti Virus over the
top of Anti Virus 2004 using their automatic installation proceedure. I get
part way through the process and then the message "The setup was unable to
update the MSI System component" appears and it refers me to Microsoft for
help. I have had a look at the FAQs but can't find anything that helps.

I'd be very grateful for any help anyuone can offer with this problem.

Robert
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:20:55 PM

This is not the exact same error but the article has good troubleshooting
steps for problems with the Windows Installer Service. Give the resolution
steps a shot. There is also a link to download & install Windows Installer
2.0.

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
message when you try to add or remove a program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315346

PattyL

"Robert K" <RobertK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am using Win 98. I have just tried to install Norton Anti Virus over
> the
> top of Anti Virus 2004 using their automatic installation proceedure. I
> get
> part way through the process and then the message "The setup was unable to
> update the MSI System component" appears and it refers me to Microsoft for
> help. I have had a look at the FAQs but can't find anything that helps.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any help anyuone can offer with this problem.
>
> Robert

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:46:08 PM

First off you need to learn to read instructions that come with apps before
installing them. Every Symantec application states to uninstall ANY version
older or recent before re/installing ANY version, 99.9% of the time an over
the top install will give you the royal screw.

See if this helps get you cleaned up:
http://tinyurl.com/4bv5g

--

Brian A.