TCP/IP Network Transport

My son's computer is displaying the following message upon start-up, and
consequently, we cannot connect to the Internet, or send/receive email from
that computer.

Message reads: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed.

I cannot find, perhaps because of the age of the operating system, an exact
error message solution to this problem. I hope that someone has a solution.
Thanks!

DC

Remove and then reinstall Dial-up Networking as described in this article.
The first time that you try this, skip steps 7-10. It's often not necessary
to go through the lengthy process of renaming and extracting of all those
files. Go directly from step 6 to step 11. If this doesn't work, then you
can try again, following all of the steps.

How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=181599

I would then download and install the upgrade to Dial-up Networking 1.4.

Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258189

PattyL

"paramedic228" <paramedic228@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son's computer is displaying the following message upon start-up, and
> consequently, we cannot connect to the Internet, or send/receive email
> from
> that computer.
>
> Message reads: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed.
>
> I cannot find, perhaps because of the age of the operating system, an
> exact
> error message solution to this problem. I hope that someone has a
> solution.
> Thanks!
>
> DC

"> I would then download and install the upgrade to Dial-up Networking 1.4.

Hi PattyL,,
I have seen this 'upgrade' mentioned at a win98 site before.
Could you tell me exactly what it is or does please?
At the moment I have no issues like the o/p has, in fact I have
no issues at all regarding my net access & etc, but I am always
curious and on the lookout for things that I'm not quite sure about.

thanks Patty,

regards Jane

The article briefly describes the changes in the More Information section.

Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285189

These articles provide more information.

File List for Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297840

Article List of Problems That Are Fixed By the DUN 1.4 Upgrade (Win98)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311215

The release notes provide even more information.

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Release
Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297818

Microsoft Windows 98 Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297816

PattyL