TCP/IP Network Transport

My son's computer is displaying the following message upon start-up, and
consequently, we cannot connect to the Internet, or send/receive email from
that computer.

Message reads: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed.

I cannot find, perhaps because of the age of the operating system, an exact
error message solution to this problem. I hope that someone has a solution.
Thanks!

DC
3 answers Last reply
More about network transport

    Remove and then reinstall Dial-up Networking as described in this article.
    The first time that you try this, skip steps 7-10. It's often not necessary
    to go through the lengthy process of renaming and extracting of all those
    files. Go directly from step 6 to step 11. If this doesn't work, then you
    can try again, following all of the steps.

    How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=181599

    I would then download and install the upgrade to Dial-up Networking 1.4.

    Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258189

    PattyL

    "paramedic228" <paramedic228@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son's computer is displaying the following message upon start-up, and
    > consequently, we cannot connect to the Internet, or send/receive email
    > from
    > that computer.
    >
    > Message reads: The TCP/IP Network Transport is not installed.
    >
    > I cannot find, perhaps because of the age of the operating system, an
    > exact
    > error message solution to this problem. I hope that someone has a
    > solution.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > DC

    "> I would then download and install the upgrade to Dial-up Networking 1.4.

    Hi PattyL,,
    I have seen this 'upgrade' mentioned at a win98 site before.
    Could you tell me exactly what it is or does please?
    At the moment I have no issues like the o/p has, in fact I have
    no issues at all regarding my net access & etc, but I am always
    curious and on the lookout for things that I'm not quite sure about.

    thanks Patty,

    regards Jane

    The article briefly describes the changes in the More Information section.

    Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285189

    These articles provide more information.

    File List for Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297840

    Article List of Problems That Are Fixed By the DUN 1.4 Upgrade (Win98)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311215

    The release notes provide even more information.

    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Release
    Notes
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297818

    Microsoft Windows 98 Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Release Notes
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297816

    PattyL

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > "> I would then download and install the upgrade to Dial-up Networking
    > 1.4.
    >

    > Hi PattyL,,
    > I have seen this 'upgrade' mentioned at a win98 site before.
    > Could you tell me exactly what it is or does please?
    > At the moment I have no issues like the o/p has, in fact I have
    > no issues at all regarding my net access & etc, but I am always
    > curious and on the lookout for things that I'm not quite sure about.
    >
    > thanks Patty,
    >
    > regards Jane

Computers TCP/IP Windows