Anti-virus software won't load at startup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 28, 2005 8:39:04 PM

My anti-virus software won't load at startup. It says "windows is operating
in audit mode".
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:14:59 AM

Try this:
Exit all programs.
On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
In the Run dialog box, type the following:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

In the right pane, if it exists, select the following value:
AuditInProgress
Press Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

In the right pane, if it exists, select the following value:
AuditMode
Press Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Exit the Registry Editor.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"NKB25" <NKB25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My anti-virus software won't load at startup. It says "windows is operating
> in audit mode".
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:43:27 AM

Hi Glee,
I just followed the OP's post and your reply.
May I ask if this is a common thing?
I sort of think it is as you knew exactly where to point o/p.
Secondly, how the heck did o/p's problem originate?

So much to know, so little time

regards Jane

> Try this:
> Exit all programs.
> On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
> In the Run dialog box, type the following:
> regedit
> Click OK.
>
> Navigate to the following registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
>
> In the right pane, if it exists, select the following value:
> AuditInProgress
> Press Delete.
> Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
>
> In the right pane, if it exists, select the following value:
> AuditMode
> Press Delete.
> Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
>
> Exit the Registry Editor.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "NKB25" <NKB25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My anti-virus software won't load at startup. It says "windows is
operating
> > in audit mode".

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:43:28 AM

Not common, no. The result usually of someone at the factory forgetting to close
audit mode, or from reinstalling Windows from the hard drive where the OEM's
msbatch.inf file is still present.

The Automated Support Assistant has found that Windows is running in "Audit Mode":
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/doci...

Also see:
http://snipurl.com/d50q

Google win98 audit mode