EXPLORER.EXE illegal operation etc etc etc

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 1, 2005 9:14:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

I have the suspicion that this problem has been dealt with many times over.

I experience repeated failures in EXPLORER.EXE most often when I use
Windows Explorer, when I context (right) click on icons on the desktop and
especially if I dare look at the properties of a file (object). The
problem is usually an illegal operation.

It also happens when I exit programs using the "x" button, if I exit using
the File menu or similar it seems to occur less frequently.

Sometimes the error is reported as being Internet Explorer, even tho IE is
not running - I use Moz (am in the process of switching to Firefox), I only
use IE for WU and a couple of other sites that only want to work with IE.

I have searched MSKB (Microsoft Windows 98 explorer.exe illegal operation)
and done things like getting a fresh copy of OLE32.DLL off the CD-ROM,
checking to ensure there isn't an old version of EXPLORER.EXE in C:\ etc.
But the problem persists, today I have decided to find a solution.

If anyone knows of stable FREE file mangler that isn't just another
representation of EXPLORER.EXE, hence inheriting the instability of that
program, please let me know - that would solve 80% of my problems.

Oh, when the problem occurs it often takes most of the System Tray with it
- well it sort of takes it, the programs are still executing but their
icons disappear which for some apps is a nuisance - eg 3M's Post It Lite,
how I love that program a clipboard for humans.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:14:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

You have the "Follow-up To" setting for your message listed as *only* alt.windows98
group, yet you posted in 3 different groups including the MS group I am reading this
from. If you cannot check the groups you post to, do not post to them. I am adding
the MS group I am replying from, to the reply list. How can you expect people to
reply if you will not allow the responses and follow-ups to be posted in the groups
they are reading?? Many if not most potential helpers will simply pass your post by
for this reason.

When you get an "illegal operation" error message, click the "Details" button, and
post back with the EXACT details, *word for word*, up to but not including the
memory registers.

Do you, or did you ever, have the Novell networking client installed?
"Invalid Page Fault in Module" Error Message When You Click Properties on Shortcut
Menu:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311180
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"PhilD" <phild@aapt.net.au> wrote in message
> I have the suspicion that this problem has been dealt with many times over.
>
> I experience repeated failures in EXPLORER.EXE most often when I use
> Windows Explorer, when I context (right) click on icons on the desktop and
> especially if I dare look at the properties of a file (object). The
> problem is usually an illegal operation.
>
> It also happens when I exit programs using the "x" button, if I exit using
> the File menu or similar it seems to occur less frequently.
>
> Sometimes the error is reported as being Internet Explorer, even tho IE is
> not running - I use Moz (am in the process of switching to Firefox), I only
> use IE for WU and a couple of other sites that only want to work with IE.
>
> I have searched MSKB (Microsoft Windows 98 explorer.exe illegal operation)
> and done things like getting a fresh copy of OLE32.DLL off the CD-ROM,
> checking to ensure there isn't an old version of EXPLORER.EXE in C:\ etc.
> But the problem persists, today I have decided to find a solution.
>
> If anyone knows of stable FREE file mangler that isn't just another
> representation of EXPLORER.EXE, hence inheriting the instability of that
> program, please let me know - that would solve 80% of my problems.
>
> Oh, when the problem occurs it often takes most of the System Tray with it
> - well it sort of takes it, the programs are still executing but their
> icons disappear which for some apps is a nuisance - eg 3M's Post It Lite,
> how I love that program a clipboard for humans.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:27:33 PM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:01:14 -0500, glee wrote:

> From: glee <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: EXPLORER.EXE illegal operation etc etc etc
> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:01:14 -0500
> Newsgroups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se
>
> You have the "Follow-up To" setting for your message listed as *only* alt.windows98
> group, yet you posted in 3 different groups including the MS group I am reading this
> from. If you cannot check the groups you post to, do not post to them. I am adding
> the MS group I am replying from, to the reply list. How can you expect people to
> reply if you will not allow the responses and follow-ups to be posted in the groups
> they are reading?? Many if not most potential helpers will simply pass your post by
> for this reason.
>
> When you get an "illegal operation" error message, click the "Details" button, and
> post back with the EXACT details, *word for word*, up to but not including the
> memory registers.
>
> Do you, or did you ever, have the Novell networking client installed?
> "Invalid Page Fault in Module" Error Message When You Click Properties on Shortcut
> Menu:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311180

Apologies for the incorrect follow up settings, I still have my "L"'s on
wrt to the newgroup client I'm using, why it doesn't default Follow Ups to
the groups to which the message is posted I don't know. I have been
accessing & posting to USENET groups for many years, but in an X-Windows
context, where these sort of things were taken care of by the sysadmites.
It shouldn't happen again even if I have to write some Pascal (it being the
extension language of my NG client) to make it so.

As far as I know this machine has not been near a Novell network. I
cannot, or at least regedt cannot, find any trace of Novell in the
registry. Also I suspect it's hard disk was reformatted when it was
retrenched from the corporate world.

I'll capture the information you suggest and post in here, probably some
time today (that's today my time which is GMT+10).
March 2, 2005 12:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

> As far as I know this machine has not been near a Novell network. I
> cannot, or at least regedt cannot, find any trace of Novell in the
> registry.

Mine neither, 98SE was installed from new, about a year ago, nothing else
has touched it.

This seems to be a sort of unpredictable, say 2 or 3 times weekly,
instability.

mike
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:29:24 PM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:35:28 -0500, glee wrote:

> Have you gone through the procedure described here:
> "Invalid Page Fault in Module" Error Message When You Click Properties on Shortcut
> Menu:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311180
> as I mentioned earlier?
>
> Yes, it could also be related to one of the context menu items.

Yes I have, as I said in an earlier post their are NO references to Novell
in the registry.

I can now confirm that this machine has never been connected to a Novell
network, in it's corporate life it was only ever connected to a TCP/IP
network communicating with HP and SUN hosts and via an IP/SNA gateway to
IBM 3090 mainframes. All of which was wiped from the hard drive via a
reformat when it got retrenched.

After disabling all non Microsoft Shell Extensions using the utility
located at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html I have had no faults
even tho I have been trying to make them happen for about 2-3 hours.
remember this morning I got about 10 faults and I wasn't even trying.

Soooo, it looks like it's one of the shell extensions, of the 10 installed
I really only need to keep a couple, I can forego the others. It could be
a combinatorial effect - the horror of testing 9! combinations looms nigh
as does the prospect of watching vendors point their respective fingers at
one another.

If Mike Ring is watching he might want to grab shexview to see if it can
help solve his similiar but apparently less severe problem.

Oh and since knocking out all the shell extensions the system performance
has improved markedly wrt file manipulations. I just moved 276 files in a
few seconds, it would have taken a few minutes this morning, that is if
explorer has stayed up that long.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

Yup, the shell extension viewer is a great tool. I have it here also. You don't
have to do 9 combinations.....disable half at a time, if that fixes it, enable all
and disable half of that half, and so forth. The rule of halves. You will be able
to narrow it down quicker that way.
--

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:35:28 -0500, glee wrote:
>
> > Have you gone through the procedure described here:
> > "Invalid Page Fault in Module" Error Message When You Click Properties on
Shortcut
> > Menu:
> > as I mentioned earlier?
> >
> > Yes, it could also be related to one of the context menu items.
>
> Yes I have, as I said in an earlier post their are NO references to Novell
> in the registry.
>
> I can now confirm that this machine has never been connected to a Novell
> network, in it's corporate life it was only ever connected to a TCP/IP
> network communicating with HP and SUN hosts and via an IP/SNA gateway to
> IBM 3090 mainframes. All of which was wiped from the hard drive via a
> reformat when it got retrenched.
>
> After disabling all non Microsoft Shell Extensions using the utility
> located at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html I have had no faults
> even tho I have been trying to make them happen for about 2-3 hours.
> remember this morning I got about 10 faults and I wasn't even trying.
>
> Soooo, it looks like it's one of the shell extensions, of the 10 installed
> I really only need to keep a couple, I can forego the others. It could be
> a combinatorial effect - the horror of testing 9! combinations looms nigh
> as does the prospect of watching vendors point their respective fingers at
> one another.
>
> If Mike Ring is watching he might want to grab shexview to see if it can
> help solve his similiar but apparently less severe problem.
>
> Oh and since knocking out all the shell extensions the system performance
> has improved markedly wrt file manipulations. I just moved 276 files in a
> few seconds, it would have taken a few minutes this morning, that is if
> explorer has stayed up that long.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:36:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

PhilD <phild@aapt.net.au> wrote in

> If Mike Ring is watching he might want to grab shexview to see if it
> can help solve his similiar but apparently less severe problem.

Getting it now.

> Oh and since knocking out all the shell extensions the system
> performance has improved markedly wrt file manipulations. I just
> moved 276 files in a few seconds, it would have taken a few minutes
> this morning, that is if explorer has stayed up that long.

You seem a much higher power operator than me ;-)

I guess if I did that much work my prob might be somewhere near yours!

mike
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:31:35 AM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:14:14 +1100, PhilD wrote:

> I have the suspicion that this problem has been dealt with many times over.
>
> I experience repeated failures in EXPLORER.EXE most often when I use
> Windows Explorer, when I context (right) click on icons on the desktop and
> especially if I dare look at the properties of a file (object). The
> problem is usually an illegal operation.
>
> It also happens when I exit programs using the "x" button, if I exit using
> the File menu or similar it seems to occur less frequently.
>
> Sometimes the error is reported as being Internet Explorer, even tho IE is
> not running - I use Moz (am in the process of switching to Firefox), I only
> use IE for WU and a couple of other sites that only want to work with IE.
>
> I have searched MSKB (Microsoft Windows 98 explorer.exe illegal operation)
> and done things like getting a fresh copy of OLE32.DLL off the CD-ROM,
> checking to ensure there isn't an old version of EXPLORER.EXE in C:\ etc.
> But the problem persists, today I have decided to find a solution.
>
> If anyone knows of stable FREE file mangler that isn't just another
> representation of EXPLORER.EXE, hence inheriting the instability of that
> program, please let me know - that would solve 80% of my problems.
>
> Oh, when the problem occurs it often takes most of the System Tray with it
> - well it sort of takes it, the programs are still executing but their
> icons disappear which for some apps is a nuisance - eg 3M's Post It Lite,
> how I love that program a clipboard for humans.

I am as certain as one can ever be that my problems were being caused by
shell extension glitches. I have Identified two extensions that
individually cause relatively minor annoyances. However when both are
present they are almost "lethal", fortunately neither is one of the three I
really wanted to keep.

So I have what I want, a relatively stable system with the shell extensions
I need, hence I don't anticipate contributing further to this discussion.

I have contacted the vendors of the software containing the "dodgy"
extensions. I will not disclose their identities in this place at this
time, they deserve the opportunity to address the problems identified
first.

If anyone has a similar problem that's driving them nut's and they should
use the mailto address in my posts, but be aware that I only check it every
few days.

Glen, 9! should have had a :-). I didn't have to use the rule of halves
either, intuition enabled be to narrow it down pretty quickly once I had
the hint that it might be a shell extension.

Lesson learnt - pay attention to install dialogues, if asked whether I want
shell extensions only say yes if I REALLY NEED them. If I'm not asked use
shexview to determine if the app installed any without asking. If I don't
need them then consider disabling them, and BLAST the vendor for not
asking.

Once again thanks to all :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

rgds phild

PS : now I'll go figure why my NG client does not default follow ups to the
NGs to which the message was posted.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:31:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

PhilD <phild@aapt.net.au> wrote in
ither is one of the

> Once again thanks to all :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
> rgds phild
>
> PS : now I'll go figure why my NG client does not default follow ups
> to the NGs to which the message was posted.

Thanks from me, too.

My problem is clearly nowhere near as bad as Phil's - I'm still waiting for
a recurrence, but it *will* come back.

(I hadn't the first clue where to look)

The shexview prog is a great tool, thanks a lot

mike
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:31:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

"PhilD" <phild@aapt.net.au> wrote in message

> I am as certain as one can ever be that my problems were being caused by
> shell extension glitches. I have Identified two extensions that
> individually cause relatively minor annoyances. However when both are
> present they are almost "lethal", fortunately neither is one of the three I
> really wanted to keep.
>
> So I have what I want, a relatively stable system with the shell extensions
> I need, hence I don't anticipate contributing further to this discussion.
>
> I have contacted the vendors of the software containing the "dodgy"
> extensions. I will not disclose their identities in this place at this
> time, they deserve the opportunity to address the problems identified
> first.
>
> If anyone has a similar problem that's driving them nut's and they should
> use the mailto address in my posts, but be aware that I only check it every
> few days.
>
> Glen, 9! should have had a :-). I didn't have to use the rule of halves
> either, intuition enabled be to narrow it down pretty quickly once I had
> the hint that it might be a shell extension.
>
> Lesson learnt - pay attention to install dialogues, if asked whether I want
> shell extensions only say yes if I REALLY NEED them. If I'm not asked use
> shexview to determine if the app installed any without asking. If I don't
> need them then consider disabling them, and BLAST the vendor for not
> asking.
>
> Once again thanks to all :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
> rgds phild
>
> PS : now I'll go figure why my NG client does not default follow ups to the
> NGs to which the message was posted.

Thanks for your contribution, phild....this will likely help others. :-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:31:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98se (More info?)

Yea, thanks. I seem to have about half a trillion MS shell extensions &
twelve that are not. I don't have the severe EXPLORER.EXE problem you
described, BUT occasionally IE will crash to it's Error Report Tool
after I have clicked to exit my last open IE window. ONCE, it reported
McAfee at fault, & I see McAfee is one of the twelve. Hmm. Well, thanks.
(And thanks to Glee for lending his MVP affirmation of it, not to
mention his big pockets should I need to sue.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

!