Intel P4 3.4-2MB cache Extreme Edition in FS2004

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Do any of the group members have any experience using the Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 3.4 GHz Extreme edition in Flight Sim 2004? I'm bidding for one on
EBay and have just been outbid, not sure if I should carry on?

Basically, right now I'm running a normal P4 3.2 Northwood that's
overclocked to 3.6GHz on water cooling (can go to 3.8 once this heatwave
finishes) As I understand the Extreme edition with the 2mb cache might not
overclock so well? I've heard the 3.4 EE is a screamer, but just how much
better than what I have could it be? glad of any feedback.

Have decided to hold off until early to mid summer next year for a major
upgrade that will see me move to A64 dual core or FX57 cpu, 2 gig ram along
with PCI-E and perhaps SLI depending on what FS2006 supports, just looking
for a bit of a boost until then.

Motherboard is an Abit IC7 MAX 3 (that can accept this CPU), 1 gig dual
channel Corsair DDR400, ATI AGP Sapphire X800 pro 256mb hard modded to XT
spec to open up the extra pipes.

Cheers.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

My impression, from all the reading and comparisons I did before
building a new PC very recently, is that it wouldn't be worth it.

Better to stick with your overall plan (which is similar to what my
upgrade path is going to be), but consider an extra 1 GB of matched RAM?

I read so many articles that I can't remember any particular one to give
you a reference for, but I'm pretty confident my impression is correct.

Regards,
John Ward
"Colin" <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote in message
> Do any of the group members have any experience using the Intel Pentium 4
> Northwood 3.4 GHz Extreme edition in Flight Sim 2004? I'm bidding for one
> on EBay and have just been outbid, not sure if I should carry on?
>
> Basically, right now I'm running a normal P4 3.2 Northwood that's
> overclocked to 3.6GHz on water cooling (can go to 3.8 once this heatwave
> finishes) As I understand the Extreme edition with the 2mb cache might not
> overclock so well? I've heard the 3.4 EE is a screamer, but just how much
> better than what I have could it be? glad of any feedback.
>
> Have decided to hold off until early to mid summer next year for a major
> upgrade that will see me move to A64 dual core or FX57 cpu, 2 gig ram
> along with PCI-E and perhaps SLI depending on what FS2006 supports, just
> looking for a bit of a boost until then.
>
> Motherboard is an Abit IC7 MAX 3 (that can accept this CPU), 1 gig dual
> channel Corsair DDR400, ATI AGP Sapphire X800 pro 256mb hard modded to XT
> spec to open up the extra pipes.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Colin.

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

> Hi Colin,
>
> My impression, from all the reading and comparisons I did before
> building a new PC very recently, is that it wouldn't be worth it.
>
> Better to stick with your overall plan (which is similar to what my
> upgrade path is going to be), but consider an extra 1 GB of matched RAM?
>
> I read so many articles that I can't remember any particular one to
> give you a reference for, but I'm pretty confident my impression is
> correct.
>
> Regards,
> John Ward

Hi John, I guess your right, had hoped to get some feedback with someone
with personal experience with this particular CPU in FS2004, with its 2mb
cache it was extremely expensive not so long ago and many thought the extra
cache would make a tremendous difference in general performance, most tests
are done on games like Doom 3 and the usual benchmarks though, very rarely
is FS2004 used ...

I'm not bidding on this CPU anymore now, will just be patient and wait at
least 9 more months, this is good going for me LOL, I'm pretty impulsive
when it comes to upgrades. Now considering a new CH Yoke to go along with my
Cougar, sold my last CH Yoke and I sure miss it.

Yup 2 gig of ram is on the cards for next upgrade, as will be an AMD64 CPU
of some flavour, Intel are falling behind in all respects, the new MS 64 bit
OS's will use as much ram as you can throw at them.

Cheers.

Colin

Hi Colin,

There is one site that often includes Flightsim in their testing - Toms
Hardware from memory, but I'm not sure of that.

Someone might chip in with some more accurate info'.

>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> My impression, from all the reading and comparisons I did before
>> building a new PC very recently, is that it wouldn't be worth it.
>>
>> Better to stick with your overall plan (which is similar to what my
>> upgrade path is going to be), but consider an extra 1 GB of matched RAM?
>>
>> I read so many articles that I can't remember any particular one to
>> give you a reference for, but I'm pretty confident my impression is
>> correct.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ward
>
> Hi John, I guess your right, had hoped to get some feedback with someone
> with personal experience with this particular CPU in FS2004, with its 2mb
> cache it was extremely expensive not so long ago and many thought the
> extra cache would make a tremendous difference in general performance,
> most tests are done on games like Doom 3 and the usual benchmarks though,
> very rarely is FS2004 used ...
>
> I'm not bidding on this CPU anymore now, will just be patient and wait at
> least 9 more months, this is good going for me LOL, I'm pretty impulsive
> when it comes to upgrades. Now considering a new CH Yoke to go along with
> my Cougar, sold my last CH Yoke and I sure miss it.
>
> Yup 2 gig of ram is on the cards for next upgrade, as will be an AMD64 CPU
> of some flavour, Intel are falling behind in all respects, the new MS 64
> bit OS's will use as much ram as you can throw at them.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Colin

Yeah they used to, but they haven't in a while. A real shame especially
concerning some of the newer cards like the x800 xl 512MB card and the new
7800GTX. Most of the reviews about the x800 xl 512MB card mentioned that
the extra memory on the card just didn't make any difference compared to the
256MB version but that games that have to load and manipulate large textures
would benefit but that most games just don't have such large textures. But
I would think that MS Flight Sim would love a card like that. I'd love to
see more reviews of hardware that were geared specifically to flight sim but
I haven't seen these kind of reviews from some of the larger flight sim
websites, like www.flightsim.com and www.avsim.com which instead focus
mostly on payware reviews (which they do very well) nor have I seen hardly
any reviews geared towards flight sims from some of the hardware review
sites.
Roy

> Tom's Hardware from memory, but I'm not sure of that.

Hi Dakota650r,

Couldn't agree more - dedicated reviews would certainly eliminate some
of the guesswork re hardware selection.

I guess sooner or later someone will get one of those cards, and tell us
all about it....

Regards,
John Ward
"Dakota650r" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeah they used to, but they haven't in a while. A real shame especially
> concerning some of the newer cards like the x800 xl 512MB card and the new
> 7800GTX. Most of the reviews about the x800 xl 512MB card mentioned that
> the extra memory on the card just didn't make any difference compared to
> the 256MB version but that games that have to load and manipulate large
> textures would benefit but that most games just don't have such large
> textures. But I would think that MS Flight Sim would love a card like
> that. I'd love to see more reviews of hardware that were geared
> specifically to flight sim but I haven't seen these kind of reviews from
> some of the larger flight sim websites, like www.flightsim.com and
> www.avsim.com which instead focus mostly on payware reviews (which they do
> very well) nor have I seen hardly any reviews geared towards flight sims
> from some of the hardware review sites.
> Roy
>
>> Tom's Hardware from memory, but I'm not sure of that.

yeah,
If ati would just send me a 512 version of the x800 xl I'll gladly do an A -
B comparison with my 256 version!
Roy