Restart in MS-Dos mode?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 1, 2005 2:47:01 PM

Has anyone ever figured out why 98SE hangs when trying to restart from
DOS?

Typing win or exit, the machine just sits there locked up.

--

John

- Old age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

More about : restart dos mode

March 1, 2005 3:01:25 PM

It sounds like you have more problems. Just go to shutdown and exit to
MS-DOS mode that way if you need true MS-DOS from 98SE. Please be aware that
some DOS commands have been removed and not updated from the full version of
MS-DOS 6.22.

:
: Typing win or exit, the machine just sits there locked up.
:
: --
:
: John
:
: - Old age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.
:
:
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:37:19 PM

Dan wrote:

> It sounds like you have more problems. Just go to shutdown and exit to
> MS-DOS mode that way if you need true MS-DOS from 98SE. Please be aware that
> some DOS commands have been removed and not updated from the full version of
> MS-DOS 6.22.

Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. I am going to the shutdown and EXIT TO
MS-DOS. Everything works well UNTIL I type 'win' or 'exit' to return to windows.

Thank you,
John

--

John

- Old age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.
March 2, 2005 3:54:23 AM

John, have you made sure your system is clear of Trojans, Malware, Spyware
and/or associated Viruses and other Baddies? Also, are you ready to do some
more advanced configuration settings and/or editing of the autoexec.bat and
config.sys? Let me know if you are comfortable with this type of editing and
if there are certain DOS (Disk Operating System) programs that you want to
run. Have a good night. I was asleep on the couch and will be turning into
my bed soon so I will probably be a while in posting back but it should be
within 24 hours.

: Dan wrote:
:
[...]
: > :
: > : Typing win or exit, the machine just sits there locked up.
: > :
: > : --
: > :
: > : John