ATI X1900XTX Memory Question!!!

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hey guys,

I have gone through many X1900XTX video cards, I have had a HIS a Sapphire and an original ATI and all of them give me the same error message when I use my Eurosoft PC Check disk on the memory. My Friend also has an X1800XT 512mb and his does the same thing. To my understanding the clock speeds on the X1k cards lower themselves when not being use?!? Similar to the Intel Speedstep and/or the AMD Cool and Quiet technology.

The program tests in dos and so i wander if the ram just shuts down and that is why it fails the tests in the program. Im not sure if this is correct, can anyone help and let me know if it is correct or not.

Also can someone please give me a program, which can test my vram and possibly the whole video card to make sure the things check out!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-2-5)
Sapphire X1900XTX 512mb
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Also in the CCC it reads my clock speeds as 500/594, is this because they are slowing down when am not in a game? And 3Dmark06 is not able to read my friends or my memory speed it just says 0 and then shows the incorrect speed on the core? Is this a 3Dmark06 problem or a Video card problem?...thank you for all of your help

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-2-5)
Sapphire X1900XTX 512mb
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Well, I'd recon that in DOS you have alot of functionality taken away. So DOS just gives basic (low level) alteration. Mind, it isn't actually the DOS I grew up on - that's why I never refer to the command line as DOS.

If you'd like to test your cards Volts/Mhz/Ghz etc - get both of these : AtiTool and ATi Tray Tools (both from Guru3d.com and make sure you get the latest Tray tools as they fully support the 1900 range of cards). These tools are supreme and I prefer Tray Tools above ATiTool - due to the OSD setting where you can show core/temp/memory/fan speed in game. It also has graphs, which allows you to trend your GPU/Temp etc. You can use this to confirm that your card is switching in frequencies.

As far as 3dmark06 goes, I think the initial release didn't include support for 1900 cards which weren't out by then. So maybe an update will resolve this.

Yes, the 1900 throttles in 2d mode. In 3d games which require more oompf, the clock will increase to 650/1500. Please note, that not all games will switch to higher frequencies, as they don't require all the power.